Caved in....

Caved in....

This is a discussion on Caved in.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ......and bought a Kahr. I wanted a pocket gun. A p380 really ought to work. J frames are nonexistent. As are 938s and lately, 238s. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zonker1986

Thread: Caved in....

Caved in....

......and bought a Kahr.

I wanted a pocket gun. A p380 really ought to work. J frames are nonexistent. As are 938s and lately, 238s. This one should turn the trick. Small, set up for ambi carry, and while I am not a huge fan of the 380, I'm not afraid of it. I have heard they can be twitchy, and are like SIGs in that they like to run wet. Was advised (strongly) to follow the manual to the letter. Have also heard they are either perfect or just awful. I guess we'll see.

A lady that I work with just bought one of those but hasn't shot it yet. I'll have to give her the heads up about the strong recommendation to follow the manual precisely just in case she wasn't informed. Although she should anyway, but we know how that goes sometimes. If she'd ever shoot the dang thing I'd have another shooter's input for you. Good luck with your new addition.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Unlike Glocks, Kahr pistols don't like to be run dry or dirty. Pay attention to the lube points ( How to Properly Lube a Kahr Pistol - Diagram ). Ammo matters, too. Avoid bullets with a flat nose, like Winchester white box. They don't feed well in the steep, offset feed ramp of the P380. These should do well: Hornady Critical Defense FTX or Z-Max 90 grain JHP, Remington or Federal FMJ. Remember, you need a 200-round break-in period before the gun is reliable. Mine's been great so far.

My 238 is fairly new, so I don't have a lot of rounds through it. The ONLY problem I had was with a mag, not the gun; the plastic pinky rest on the extended mag wasn't installed right, so it wouldn't seat all the way. Gun shop exchanged it and no problems since. My other 2 Sigs don't seem to be picky about wet or dry that I've noticed? I let my 229 get super dirty and it never ever missed a beat.

HOWEVER, since you got a Kahr, post up a review as I've been interested in them for a while. I've heard yays and nays about the trigger, but not much in between.

the Kahrs that work "terrible" are usually the ones that are not broken in properly. I have five Kahrs, and since I followed the instructions and broke them in properly, they have run like Swiss
    watches. I broke all mine in by simply racking slide a few hundred times and saving myself the 200 round break-in recommended by Kahr.....and it works like a charm.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    watches. I broke all mine in by simply racking slide a few hundred times and saving myself the 200 round break-in recommended by Kahr.....and it works like a charm.
    - Same here. I always clean a new firearm and apply a little lubrication on the rails. Then I rack the slide a few hundred times before taking it the range for the break in period.

If everything goes well, give the Buffalo Bore +P rounds a try. They're a really hot .380ACP round.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

KahrTalk Home has a great sticky explaining the cleaning and break in for a new Kahr. I have had good luck with my 3 Kahrs also

I hope you have better luck with your P380 than I did.....

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    ......and bought a Kahr.

I wanted a pocket gun. A p380 really ought to work. J frames are nonexistent. As are 938s and lately, 238s. This one should turn the trick. Small, set up for ambi carry, and while I am not a huge fan of the 380, I'm not afraid of it. I have heard they can be twitchy, and are like SIGs in that they like to run wet. Was advised (strongly) to follow the manual to the letter. Have also heard they are either perfect or just awful. I guess we'll see.
    From my personal experience you will either have a good one or a bad one. I literally opened two new P380s and one was perfect and the other suffered from failure to return to battery, and premature slide lock back. That one had to go back to Kahr for service. The second has been a dream to own and shoot. It's my favorite 380 and my test pistol for most of my 380 ammo tests as well as a pocket carry piece. Follow the lube chart mentioned in post #3 and it should break in quite nicely for you if you got a good one. If you didn't get a good one, then be prepared to do battle with Kahr's sometimes good and sometimes not so good customer service. They will take care of you eventually, but they may try your patience along the way.

The only ammo my P380 won't work with are the Fiocchi, S&B, and Tulammo FMJ loads. Best to follow Kahr's suggestion of using only US made ammo.

Good luck with your P380 and I hope you got a good one.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Mine has been good with any ammo so far, I carry it with Gold Dots. Enjoy!!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I've had 4 Kahrs and my 5th is on the way to me. I had zero issues with mine. Keep it clean and like someone above said, rack that slide over and over to loosen it.
    The only thing I don't like about them is the grip feel. It's kinda harsh, IMO.....but then again, maybe I just have dishpan hands? Add a Hogue Jr sleeve or bicycle
    inner tube to it and that'll make a big difference.

Sponsored Links