A gun for EVERY outfit?

This is a discussion on A gun for EVERY outfit? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by firecrackerktm I know most of you are or have been here--There is just no perfect gun for every situation. My 229 is ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A gun for EVERY outfit?

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerktm View Post
    I know most of you are or have been here--There is just no perfect gun for every situation.

My 229 is my old friend and favorite to shoot. It's far too bulky to carry very often though.

My 238 is fun to shoot and easy to carry but it's "only" a .380.

My husband's new 1911 is also fun to shoot and no worse, possibly easier to conceal than my 229.

So now I'm thinking a smaller .40 or .45 would be nice to have. Kind of liking what I see and hear of the Kahrs. I haven't fired one though. I didn't really think the XDs was that great (although it wasn't bad either).

I REALLY liked the Kimber Ultra Carry I tested. So a 3.5" 1911 would be cool even though the jury seems split on their qualities.

I would definitely like a 938--when I bought my 238, I was put off by the numerous reports of issues, mostly FTEs. But apparently Sig has addressed these and they are no longer having that problem? Just hearsay. If they are improved I definitely want one.

BUT, then I would have FIVE calibers to buy ammo for.

And I think I need a .22 pistol too. Like the Buckmark I had as a kid.

Hmm what else ... leather for everything...

I need a new job.
    My first handgun was a Ruger .22, and a 1911 in .45 followed a few months later. Then when that gun was out getting a trigger job, I picked up a J-frame .38 snub and declared "that's it - no new calibers!" So... 3 handgun calibers is now up to 8, plus 7 rifle cals and 2 shotgun gauges. So much for that resolution!

But you really do "need" a .22 auto for fun, for cheap shootin' fun and for staying on top of the basics of sight alignment and trigger pull.

For a compact .45, I'd be looking at the "CCO" versions of the 1911 - Commander-length slide (4-inch) on an Officers Model grip. This provides the reliability of the 4-inch models with the concealability of the shorties. I think SIG and Dan Wesson have current offerings in this hybrid size - worth a look.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

Oooh good call on the "CCO." That sounds like a perfect combination.

I have a 10-22 and hubby's grandpa's 22 revolver, but I would like something semi auto that I can just plow through cheap ammo with.

So...

For plowing through cheap .22 ammo, stick with the .22 revolver. Not a semi auto.

If you really want something other than your current P238, then a revolver would be a very good choice. I really like my .38 LCR. My luck with micro 9mm pistols has not been too good.

I would not discount the Glock 26 or 19 based on "feel" either. I have a Glock 30 that "feels" thick to me, but I can shoot the thing like the dickens. Love that gun. No other maker can touch Glock, in terms of ammo capacity vs overall weight.

Try 'em out. Lots of options. Best option might be to just be happy with your current P238 - but nothing wrong with buying another gun if you can swing it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The revolver is a Colt Frontier Scout and the cylinder doesn't tip out, so you have to put in the ammo one at a time. Major PITA. And eject them one at a time. I'm too lazy. It is fun to shoot though. I'm not very accurate with it because the trigger is so short and light it always surprises me at first and then by the time I get used to it again I get bored with reloading it nonstop. It's a neat inheritance piece though.

I'd try a LCR. I've heard good things.

With Glocks it isn't really the size, just something about the grip. My 229 with Hogues isn't a narrow gun at all but it seems to be a part of my hands when I shoot it? Maybe it's because I've had it for 12 years and I've grown very used to it.

LOL! My .22 revolver is an ancient Iver Johnson Sealed Target 8. It also loads/unloads one at a time - or, you can remove the cylinder pin and take the whole cylinder out of the frame to load/unload. I like it - forces you to slow down, concentrate on your shooting, and makes your ammo last longer...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links