A gun for EVERY outfit?

A gun for EVERY outfit?

This is a discussion on A gun for EVERY outfit? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know most of you are or have been here--There is just no perfect gun for every situation. My 229 is my old friend and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A gun for EVERY outfit?

A gun for EVERY outfit?

I know most of you are or have been here--There is just no perfect gun for every situation.

My 229 is my old friend and favorite to shoot. It's far too bulky to carry very often though.

My 238 is fun to shoot and easy to carry but it's "only" a .380.

My husband's new 1911 is also fun to shoot and no worse, possibly easier to conceal than my 229.

So now I'm thinking a smaller .40 or .45 would be nice to have. Kind of liking what I see and hear of the Kahrs. I haven't fired one though. I didn't really think the XDs was that great (although it wasn't bad either).

I REALLY liked the Kimber Ultra Carry I tested. So a 3.5" 1911 would be cool even though the jury seems split on their qualities.

I would definitely like a 938--when I bought my 238, I was put off by the numerous reports of issues, mostly FTEs. But apparently Sig has addressed these and they are no longer having that problem? Just hearsay. If they are improved I definitely want one.

BUT, then I would have FIVE calibers to buy ammo for.

And I think I need a .22 pistol too. Like the Buckmark I had as a kid.

Hmm what else ... leather for everything...

I need a new job.

VIP Member
    Or, just get a Glock 19 and take it with you wherever you go.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I expect a Shield 9 or a 1911 Government really ought to cover just about anything. Thin, reliable, enough rounds to get you out of a bind.

But really, who's gonna draw the line at one gun? Certainly not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Or, just get a Glock 19 and take it with you wherever you go.
    Glocks don't quite feel "right" in my hand for some reason. I couldn't really say why.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I expect a Shield 9 or a 1911 Government really ought to cover just about anything. Thin, reliable, enough rounds to get you out of a bind.

But really, who's gonna draw the line at one gun? Certainly not me.
    I'd like to have a safe full ... even better, a ROOM full.

On the other hand I guess it's not a good thing to have a bunch of different guns when I should be practicing with something specific to build good habits.

Treat yourself, you deserve it! Don't be caught with anything less...

firecrackerktm likes this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

VIP Member
    Can't speak for the Kimbers, but in the 1911 platform take a look at the Dan Wesson Guardian, available in either .45 ACP or 9 mm. I carry a Kahr CW45 on days when I'm working. Slim, easy to carry, and reliable. The only problem I had with it, was it refused to function with TulAmmo. Would not handle the steel casing at all. Everything else I've fed it, it ate like a kid with candy.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/...sson-guardian/
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Fla
    Just my HO but I don't feel that everyone needs a cannon. Nothing wrong with a 380 for carry. It WILL stop a BG.
    Mother of two shoots, kills abusive ex-boyfriend

As long as you are looking at the Kimber, you might as well look at the Springfield EMP.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Fla View Post
    Just my HO but I don't feel that everyone needs a cannon. Nothing wrong with a 380 for carry. It WILL stop a BG.
    Mother of two shoots, kills abusive ex-boyfriend
    You're right, and I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't have faith that it would save my life. I am sort of on the fence on the whole horsepower debate.

PS GOOD FOR HER.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    As long as you are looking at the Kimber, you might as well look at the Springfield EMP.
    I haven't seen/held one in real life! They do look sweet though.

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerktm View Post
    Glocks don't quite feel "right" in my hand for some reason. I couldn't really say why.

I'd like to have a safe full ... even better, a ROOM full.

On the other hand I guess it's not a good thing to have a bunch of different guns when I should be practicing with something specific to build good habits.
    You mentioned a .45...have you ever picked up a Glock-36? It might just be worth the effort to hold the thinnest of all Glocks...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You mentioned a .45...have you ever picked up a Glock-36? It might just be worth the effort to hold the thinnest of all Glocks...I'm just sayin'...
    Actually I have, although it was a long time ago (I think they were brand new at the time? When did they come out?). It shot very nicely but I don't remember loving it. I don't remember hating it either though. It was like the XDs, just kind of meh.

You might consider a Smith & Wesson M&P 45C. They have different backstraps to choose from and can ben made to fit the individual hand pretty well.

Ohhh and a revolver ... I think I should have a revolver just because.

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerktm View Post
    Actually I have, although it was a long time ago (I think they were brand new at the time? When did they come out?). It shot very nicely but I don't remember loving it. I don't remember hating it either though. It was like the XDs, just kind of meh.
    As a person who really likes .45's, I'll be watching for your decision and your feedback. Good luck in your continuing search!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links