paralysis by analysis - I can't decide on the right ccw

This is a discussion on paralysis by analysis - I can't decide on the right ccw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm ooking for some advice. I want to buy a 9mm for cc but am having trouble finding the right one. I've read about so ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By multistage
  • 1 Post By BadHabit
  • 2 Post By SIXTO

Thread: paralysis by analysis - I can't decide on the right ccw

I'm ooking for some advice. I want to buy a 9mm for cc but am having trouble finding the right one. I've read about so many guns and looked at so many I've confused myself and can't pull the trigger (no pun intended) on one. I want somethig that I can comfortably conceal using an IWB holster but will still be a decent range gun. because of my job I won't be carrying all the time just on weekends when I go out to dinner or shopping. I'm not a realy big guy (6' 190) so I've been looking at the sub compacts. I like the idea of a decocker or safety or at the very least a strap saftey like the xd has. I was at the store today looking at the berreta storm and the ruger sr9c. The smaller single stacks are probably the better size but they just don't feel as comfortable in my hands as the double stacks. I'm just afraid thesee would be too large to comfortably conceal. Can anyone speak to the concealability of these two or offer suggestions on others? Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Beretta PX4 Storm Compact. SHTF ACE-1 holster. Conceals well, carries well. As you already know, it is a double stack 9mm, and I have had no issues with mine. I have had single stack pistols, but the double stack feels better in my hand. Not to mention I like having 15+1 rather than 7+1.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Get a Glock 19.
    zacii and StarPD45 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

glock doesn'thave the decocker or the saftey I'm looking for. I would go with the M&P if I weren't looking for the safety's.

Get whatever you want. The motivated guy will figure out how to hide anything.

I prefer SIGs. The p series are equipped with a decocker. A p229 is awfully hard to beat. I have two, a 9 and a 40.
    zacii likes this.

Ideas here are fine but you really need to go down to a well supplied store and actually handle said firearm. If they have a range you can try them that's even better. There are many high quality IWB holsters out there. Everybody has their opinion of the best. Again, the only way you will know what is best for you is to take said firearm and put it in a holster on your body.
    foxytwo likes this.
    At one with the gun.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Here's the very first step to un-paralyzing yourself. Realize that no single handgun is going to be perfect in every way (there are always trade-offs in terms of size, weight, ease of concealment, stopping power, purchase price, etc.) The second step is to realize that as long as you narrow it down to just a few (3?) good candidates you're very likely to be happy with whatever choice you ultimately make. For optimizing concealment and capacity, I chose the S&W M&P 9c, it's a double stack (10+1), conceals easily, very reliable, and accurate. While that may be my recommendation, the PPS is great if you like that thinner backstrap and the Ruger is a great choice if you like the idea of a decocker. Sometimes you have to go with your gut and just "pull the trigger."
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Re: paralysis by analysis - I can't decide on the right ccw

The pistol is only one part of the carry system.

Get whatever you want to shoot, then invest in a quality belt and holster rig and you can carry anything.

Don't sell yourself short by disregarding guns without external safeties. If you take a professional training course, your eyes will be opened to see that your best safety device is between your ears.

But if your dead set on a manual safety, be my guest; there are lots of nice pistols with them.

M&P
    Sig Sauer classic series
    Any reputable 1911, or High Power and their clones.

Some pistols have safeties, but due to poor design may actually be detrimental in deployment.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Hard to beat the Walther PPS 9mm.
    Very concealable since it is thin. Great trigger.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Ideas here are fine but you really need to go down to a well supplied store and actually handle said firearm. If they have a range you can try them that's even better. There are many high quality IWB holsters out there. Everybody has their opinion of the best. Again, the only way you will know what is best for you is to take said firearm and put it in a holster on your body.
    I spent a while at a couple shops this morning. Left more confused than when I got there.

Maybe you should make a listing of what features you want in a handgun. Then fire a few to fill in the "How if fits" question. Check prices and go for one.

StarPD45
    As was mentioned above, the 1911 platform. They are available in 9MM and in various sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by gman1987 View Post
    glock doesn'thave the decocker or the saftey I'm looking for. I would go with the M&P if I weren't looking for the safety's.
    FYI, M&P9 is available with a thumb safety or without. Like you, I prefer some type of safety outside of a Glock type trigger only. I carry an XD9 Service IWB with only a wee bit of wardrobe effort. All the models you've listed are similarly sized (give or take). The Beretta is probably the "thickest" of those. My husband is similarly sized, he carries the Beretta PX4 Storm, with a little more concealment effort than he likes (it's winter here, so cover garments take care of that, for now...).

So, I would say, you've already nailed down the manual safety features you would like, the size you're looking for (double stack compact), and I'm guessing a general price range by the models you've listed. I'd say you can't go wrong with any of the pistols you've listed. They're all reliable, popular, and many people carry them. Pick the one that calls your name, get a good belt and holster, and a case of ammo, and you'll be golden.

Ruger Lc9 has my vote.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gman1987 View Post
    Smith and Wesson does make the M&P in your flavor, with a few different combos of safety features.

My advice to you is not to get caught up in the details. Find a gun that first is reliable. Second, serviceable in your area. Third well balanced and points naturally for you. All the other factors are rubbish at this point. Then, train to use the gun safely. Don't expect the equipment to do your job. That is a huge pit fall of a new shooter. Sometimes all the safety's create more danger than they negate.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links