P230 vs P232

P230 vs P232

This is a discussion on P230 vs P232 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering: What are the signifigant differences between the 230 and 232 from Sig?...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: P230 vs P232

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

P230 vs P232

Just wondering: What are the signifigant differences between the 230 and 232 from Sig?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

my wife has a stainless 232. I'm not sure of the real difference, but I can tell you in the many hundreds of rounds fired from her 232 (which we got used) there has not been a single failure. It's an absolutely reliable and well made gun that's easy and fun to shoot. If you find a good deal on one don't pass it up!

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I was told......The difference is in the mag release. At least part of the difference.

Now, don't quote me. The P230 has the mag release on the hilt by the mag plate. The P232 was made with a thumb mag release to satisfy Kalifornia requirements.

I'm sure there may be a few other differences, but this was what I've had explained to me.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Assistant Administrator
    Checking in (curious) http://www.sigarms.com/Products/Show...0&productid=68 - it appears from the pic that the 232 has the ''Euro'' type heel release. I am assuming also that the 230 is no longer made as, not listed.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The mag release for the 232 is on the heel of the gun, behind the back of the magazine. So there's no such thing as a one-handed mag drop.

There's a hogue wrap-around grip available for these too (my wife's has it), which makes it super comfy in the hand.

So the 232 has the European mag release.

Huh, funny to think they'd go from a thumb release to that.

Thanks all...
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I'm pretty sure that the 230 that I had in 1988 had a Euro style mag release, too. I don't think that is the difference between the two.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Administrator

Both Have The Heel Mag Release

Both Have The Heel Mag Release
    Which is really NOT a problem on this excellent SIG pistol.
    If you can find an older 230 & the price is right...buy it.

Presented here is a web "Copy & Paste" for your general informational viewing...and to save my keyboard fingers for yet another CombatCarry day:

"The SIG-Sauer P-230 pistol was designed and produced in Germany by the joint venture of the J.P.Sauer (Germany) and SIG Arms (Swiss) as a compact police and self-defense pistol.
    P-230 hit the market circa 1977 and was manufactured until the 1996, when it was replaced by the P-232 pistol, which is no more than technologically and ergonomically improved P-230.
    Original P-230 was offered in variety of 3 calibers - 9mm Browning Short, 7.65mm Browning and a now discontinued 9mm Police, which was designed as a most powerful round suitable for simple blowback pistols.
    9x18mm Police is rougly equal in terms of power to the Russian 9x18mm Makarov, but these two ARE NOT interchangeable!
    Attempts to fire 9x18mm Mak in the 9mm Police P-230 can result in serious damage to the pistol and injury to the shooter!

P-230 and P-232 are quite similar internally.
    Both are simple blowback operated, hammer fired pistols, with double action triggers and a manual decocker levers mounted on the left side of the frame, behind the trigger.
    P-232 also featured automated firing pin safety.
    Both pistols lack the slide stop. Both pistols can be found in standard form, with steel slide and aluminium alloy frame and blue finish, or in SL versions, with both slide and frame made from stainless steel. Latter models are slightly heavier and wear a polished steel finish.
    P-232 featured drift-adjustable rear sights, dovetailed into the slide. Feed is from single stack magazines for 7 9mm or 8 7.65mm rounds.
    It should be noted that both P-230 and P-232 feature magazine catch, located at the heel of the grip.

Both P-230 and P-232 are high quality, durable and reliable guns, as every other pistol, produced by the famous Swiss-German alliance. These guns are well suited for personal defense, concealed carry and as a backup guns, offering good accuracy and mild recoil."
    Beachcomber likes this.

Thanks QK...

Links