Magna Port for Taurus 605?

This is a discussion on Magna Port for Taurus 605? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Franco, you're really not lookin' for input or opinions are ya'? So far, you've summarily dismissed everyone one who hasn't whole-heartedly endorsed the sheer ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Magna Port for Taurus 605?

Hey Franco, you're really not lookin' for input or opinions are ya'? So far, you've summarily dismissed everyone one who hasn't whole-heartedly endorsed the sheer brilliance of your plan.

Okay-
    The Taurus 605 is a fine piece of high-quality equipment.
    We all think that increasing the timid muzzle flash of an EDC .357 snubbie is wise.
    And, most of all, we mouse-hearted, weak-kneed know-nothings are sooo glad to help.

I've enjoyed Magna-Port services on several firearms. IMHO, they're top notch. You might also consider Gemini Customs (yet I'm unsure if they're smart and/or strong enough to work...on your Taurus)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by franco45 View Post
    Kilowatt3, tell me how you learned this valuable lesson. Tell me about your experience.
    Glad you asked!

I actually didn't have to learn it myself - just watched others learn it. On at least three different occasions, I've seen guys get burned shooting ported guns from awkward positions. Fortunately, they were in each case wearing decent eye protection, so none got worse than minor powder burns on the face and/or arms - no eye injuries.

A smart man learns from his mistakes; A wise man learns from other people's mistakes.

Regards,
    Jim
    10thmtn likes this.

Sorry guys, I was a little defensive and came off like a smartaleck. I do appreciate your experience and advice. I again apologize.

Sorry guys, I was a little defensive and came off like a smarta-aleck. I do appreciate your experience and advice. I again apologize.
    It's all good, Franco.

FWIW, I have a Taurus with a ported barrel! It's a longer (6") barreled .44, though, not a .357 or .38 snub. It's not a CC gun, for several (obvious) reasons. Also have an 8" DW .44 with ported barrel. For hunting, target shooting, or plinking, the ported barrel does help a lot in controlling felt recoil & muzzle flip. For CC, there are a lot of unpredictable variables wrt what posture you might find yourself in when you need to shoot. Might not have your shooting glasses on, either. I sure as heck don't want those ports pointed at my face (or anywhere on my body) when I pull the trigger!

Regards,
    Jim
    franco45 likes this.

Sorry guys, I was a little defensive and came off like a smartaleck. I do appreciate your experience and advice. I again apologize.
    No worries Franco. To further muddy-up the water, I recently shot an early 80's vintage Taurus .44 spl revolver, hammer-bobbed with hybrid porting that was build & tuned at none other than the Gunsite Shooting Academy! It even had the Raven stamp! So someone, a LOT MORE wise than I, thought a Taurus was a great platform upon which to build a custom. This is the only Taurus revolver I have ever (deeply) coveted. While I STILL wouldn't pick it as my EDC, it would be a pure peach (IMHO) for hiking/fishing carry.
    franco45 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I've had some experience with MNP and short barrels....The advantage of porting is realized on longer barrels...All the woes come from porting Short barrels. I have a 2" 64 coming back from them tomorrow and have had a few more done,,,,No Porting, but they do wonderful work....Here's one of a pair of 2.5" 686's.....Sandpiper

franco45 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links