Magna Port for Taurus 605?

This is a discussion on Magna Port for Taurus 605? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a Taurus 605 5 shot 357 magnum. I bought it used LNIB for $250. I am impressed with it's accuracy. It's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Magna Port for Taurus 605?

I just picked up a Taurus 605 5 shot 357 magnum. I bought it used LNIB for $250. I am impressed with it's accuracy. It's a little heavy but very concealable. I am thinking about shipping it to Magna Port to have it ported and have the hammer bobbed. Does anyone have any experience with Magna Port or have any thoughts on having the work done.

Please don't look at this as just another opportunity to bash Taurus.

I do not like ports on defensive guns. If fired from a close retention position, there is a possibility of getting gases into your eyes.
    kmagnuss and sensei2 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Taurus has a lifetime warranty even if your not the original owner would check and see if that would void the warranty
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by franco45 View Post
    I just picked up a Taurus 605 5 shot 357 magnum. I bought it used LNIB for $250. I am impressed with it's accuracy. It's a little heavy but very concealable. I am thinking about shipping it to Magna Port to have it ported and have the hammer bobbed. Does anyone have any experience with Magna Port or have any thoughts on having the work done.

They did a Smith 60 and 65 for me back in the 90s and their work was outstanding. Only the 65 was ported. Highly recommend the bead blast which they called the Velvet Hone finish.

Sandpiper likes this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Well... I think that's money that would be better spent on a second firerarm, or ammo, or training.

To be blunt, doing that kind of work on a Taurus is like dropping a blueprinted engine into a Hyundai. And I'm not a Taurus-hater; I own three of them. I just recognize their limitations.

Grant Cunningham is one of the top revolver gunsmiths in the US; here's his take on Taurus wheelguns: Why I don't work on Taurus revolvers | Revolvers, Gunsmithing, Personal opinions | GrantCunningham.com

But if you do decide to have your Taurus customized, I suggest you go one step further and make the gun double-action only, in addition to bobbing the hammer. That gives you the opportunity to improve and substantially lighten the DA trigger pull without compromising the safety of the SA trigger.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Porting a short-barreled CC gun is a bad move.

Regards,
    Jim
    bunker likes this.

I have a 605, and haven't changed anything except the stocks. It's fine as is.

What is this urge to immediately modify a brand new gun? Shoot it as is for, say, 500 rounds. Then see if you still want to do anything to it. Plus, there's the fact that you're looking at spending an extra $150-$200, plus shipping both ways, on a $250 gun. You're changing a good deal on a gun, to something considerably less than a good deal.
    Philly Boy likes this.

It's not like I'm spending your money Lee. "This urge to modify a brand new gun" is fairly common. I believe it's called customizing or personalizing. I've heard people have been doing it to guns, cars and motorcycles for quite some time now.

Ever shoot a ported barrel from retention?
    Make sure you're wearing sun tan lotion.

I would never want a ported barrel on my SD/HD firearm.OMOYMV
    sensei2 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Iv had several guns "customized or personalized " by Magna Port including a S&W modle 60, much like your 605...they do outstanding work...I say go for it! You won't be sorry!

Well it appears that the 2 people who have experience with Magn-Na-Port have nothing but positive things to say about them and their work. I have owned a short barreled ported 357 before. I guess it isn't for the faint of heart or weak in the knees.

like 10thmtn and retsupt99, i don't like porting on a self defense gun.

my objections have NOTHING to do with the quality of the work, nor is my heart especially faint*.

IMO, porting a SD gun gets you slightly faster shot-to-shot times because of the lessened recoil, but at the possible price of being blinded by your own weapon. in a SHTF situation, you might not be able to extend your arms in your customary isosceles or weaver stance. if you fire a ported gun from any position where the upwards projected gases can hit your face, you will be in a world of hurt.

it's your gun, your money and your choice.

*one of my most treasured guns is a Wilson Combat/S&W 66, 2.5", .357 Magnum revolver.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I had a S&W 642 with a 2.125 barrel ported, was a waste of $100, could tell no difference. I also had 12 ga pump ported and it did reduce barrel rise somewhat. I have never fired either in the dark.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I have owned a short barreled ported 357 before. I guess it isn't for the faint of heart or weak in the knees.
    ...Nor is it for the smart enough to know better.

Kilowatt3, tell me how you learned this valuable lesson. Tell me about your experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links