Another question (of many to come I'm sure) For first CCW G26, M&P9c or P938

This is a discussion on Another question (of many to come I'm sure) For first CCW G26, M&P9c or P938 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been researching for weeks for a first CCW pistol and posted here, but each time I go to a store I come back with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Another question (of many to come I'm sure) For first CCW G26, M&P9c or P938

Another question (of many to come I'm sure) For first CCW G26, M&P9c or P938

I've been researching for weeks for a first CCW pistol and posted here, but each time I go to a store I come back with my original choice deep-sixed and a new gun candidate in the lead. So I'm sure I'll be posting many questions here and appreciate your feedback tremendously.

My initial criteria were:

-(Lefty Shooter) Ambidextrous controls (have since realized that ambi mag-release isn't necessary as my first instinct is to use my LH anyway)
    -Manual Safety (see below)
    -Portable size (maybe 6" - 6.5" length and 4" height)
    -Comfortable point and shoot
    -Easy follow-up/second shot targeting (decided on 9mm for this reason)

Secondary
    -Loaded chamber indicator (determined not to be necessary)

I had not looked at Glocks at all due to their lack of manual safety, but after talking with a clerk with combat experience who is also an instructor, he recommended the Glocks with several thoughtful insights. I also can appreciate the abundance of accessories available for Glocks and the interchangeability of their components and magazines. I liked the Glock, feel, reliability, controls, grip, size, and concealability but I have a hard time imagining carrying a gun without a safety. Am I overthinking this? My plan would be to ensure that the pistol is strong-side hip IWB holstered with the trigger guard completely covered with possible calf-carry now and then.

Anyone with experience please provide some feedback/stories about the pros and cons of carrying a Glock.

I'm also considering a S&W M&P9c due to its size and ambi thumb safeties, but the segmented trigger feels like it could be a weakpoint and the thumb safeties feel a little fragile as well. I've looked at a sig p938 and like that platform, but carrying SA with no decocker has me a bit wary.

There's only so much I can gather from research...I need real world experience from those that have carried these pistols and I appreciate this forum for its knowledgeable posters so thanks in advance and I apologize in advance for what will be many posts to come I'm sure.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The Glock 19 is, for me at least, a very easy, reliable concealable carry.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

mkh
    I've carried all of the guns you mentioned with the exception of the P938 ( have carried other Sigs). I can say that this is all in your mind. I'm not trying to be mean but all of the guns are good choices but you need a gun that you can feel comfortable with. If you are comfortable then you will carry it more.

My carry weapon at the moment is a Glock 19. Yes there is no safety lever but it really isn't needed. Don't pull the trigger and it won't go off. That applies to the other guns also. Once you get over that in your head then it all comes down to which one feels best in your hand.

Good luck with your decision .

Springfield XD subcompact. Awesome guns has two manual safeties one on but and one on trigger. has chambered round indicator and ready to fire indicator. Is also ambidextrous.

I don't think I phrased my post well. I am very interested in others' thoughts on the M&P9c versus the G26 and P938, but I'm also interested in feedback on others' experiences with Glocks particularly issues of safety or even specific incidents or considerations that need to be given for carrying a Glock or any pistol without a manual safety.

On the M&P...has anyone had any issues with the trigger? The pin that the segmented trigger is joined with looks extremely delicate, but I may be over-analyzing it.

On pistols with manual safeties, is it worth going without a safety in order to ensure being able to fire under duress?

I'm asking extremely subjective questions I know...but the anonymity of the internet helps me to show my ignorance!

Thanks in advance

I have carried Glocks for 20 years. Keep your booger picker off the trigger, carry it in a holster, it aint going to go off. IMO I don't need to worry about a safety if God forbid I need to protect myself or my family.

If the Glock feels good to you, get it, train with it and be happy, happy, happy.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    I don't think I phrased my post well. I am very interested in others' thoughts on the M&P9c versus the G26 and P938, but I'm also interested in feedback on others' experiences with Glocks particularly issues of safety or even specific incidents or considerations that need to be given for carrying a Glock or any pistol without a manual safety.

On the M&P...has anyone had any issues with the trigger? The pin that the segmented trigger is joined with looks extremely delicate, but I may be over-analyzing it.

On pistols with manual safeties, is it worth going without a safety in order to ensure being able to fire under duress?

I'm asking extremely subjective questions I know...but the anonymity of the internet helps me to show my ignorance!

Thanks in advance
    All very good questions. With regard to the M&P trigger, I wouldn't call it delicate, but it is certainly different than the Glock trigger. I personally do not care for M&P triggers at all, some people like it. It's all personal preference. Being able to try out both side by side will show you the difference in the trigger pulls, you may find you like one more than the other, or you may find it doesn't make too much difference.

As far as manual safeties, it all depends. Whatever you choose, you will be able to train muscle memory to instinctively sweep off a thumb safety. I, for one, do not have thumb safeties on either of my carry pistols (XD9 and XD-s). While they do have the grip safety, I wouldn't be afraid of them if they were not equipped as such. In fact, if the Glocks were 25% less "Glocky", I probably would be carrying a G19 or G36. Alas, the XD line just fits my small, thin hands better.

As we say, "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch." Practice care when holstering and re-holstering (no need to speed re-holster, take care that nothing's in the trigger guard-clothing, strings, finger, etc.) with all weapons, manual safeties present or not.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post

Thanks in advance
    ^^You are over analyzing^^^^^^

Have you seen any recall, or major problems with M&P's being sent back to Smith for broken triggers?
    I haven't.
    I know at least 8 people with an M&P in one caliber or another, and all the different configurations with regards to safeties, FS/compact, etc.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

M&P for me. Love it.

OP,if you do decide on a firearm with manual safeties, make sure you practice releasing those as you draw the weapon as part of your draw stroke. That way, it becomes muscle memory in the event you do have to draw it for SD.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I shot an M&P9c in my CCW class and I liked it so much I bought one in .40. They (9mm vs .40) definitely shoot differently considering the identical frame (.40 is a much hotter round). The ergonomics of the M&P's are what drew me to them. All the other guns I shot just didn't feel right, the worst one was the Beretta BU9 Nano.

I asked the same questions regarding safeties and all to some close friends that all shoot - they all said safeties are a waste. The reasoning is solid too - a carry gun is useless if you can't pop off a round quick. Yeah, you can train yourself to hit a thumb safety, but no matter how you do it the safety is one more step to memorize, and get in your muscle memory so you don't have to think about it. That all eats up critical seconds when it counts.

One of my pistols, M&P22, has a safety on it and it is a pain. I leave it off, just my preference.

You get a big advantage with the 9c over a lot of the other options out there - double stack mag = more rounds. Not only that, but you can also put a full-size M&P9 mag in the gun with an X-grip grip extension. I have one set up like that for my 40c and as soon as I find some more mags I'll grab another two just to have on hand - they're GREAT.

Another gun I will throw out there to look at, although it is a bit more expensive and doesn't comply with your safety requirement, is a Kahr K9. If you can find somewhere that has one at least pick it up so you know how it feels in your hand. It will be more concealable than the 9c (thinner slide - .90" vs. the 1.2" on the 9c) and has fantastic ergonomics.
    oneshot likes this.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am over-analyzing. I think the question I need to answer is yes or no on the manual safety and that depends on my comfort level.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    As I mentioned in another thread, the biggest problem first time CCW buyers face is the inability to make that final decision. So remember two points: 1) there is no perfect handgun, there are many trade-offs and 2) if you narrow down to 3 (maybe 4) that you meet your needs, whatever decision you make, you'll love. So given that, just buy a S&W M&P 9c and all is good.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Btw my M&P 9c that I EDC.. has no safety :)

Also you won't go wrong with a glock.

Each of the guns you are interested in is a great choices. But each one has a little different handling manual of arms. Or a system by which it should be safely handled. It's learning the manual for the gun you choose to carry. And then practicing it so you know it with your eyes closed. so you can safely handle it while under extreme stress. These striker fired arms are some of the safest in the field. Many many law enforcement organizations carry them safely every day. But you must learn the manual and learn from the experience of others as well as your own time in practice. Pick one and learn it. Some where along the line you may decide you need to make a change . That's fine but by then you 'll have learned a great deal. The opinion of others can be a good place to start but sooner or later your going to have to develop an opinion of your own.
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links