1967 Colt Commander in .38 Super

This is a discussion on 1967 Colt Commander in .38 Super within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Colt Commander in .38 Super. This model has Colt's original lightweight frame and is in close-to-original condition. The PO put an adjustable ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By R040607
  • 2 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By BigJon10125

Thread: 1967 Colt Commander in .38 Super

I have a Colt Commander in .38 Super. This model has Colt's original lightweight frame and is in close-to-original condition. The PO put an adjustable trigger and Novak sights on it. There is some finish wear and the gun has definitely been used.

But I must make a decision now. I want to use the 1911 platform as my daily carry during winter months. I shoot these guns very well in both .45 and .38 Super.

Option 1: I send off the Colt to the Custom Shop and have them work the pistol over as desired. This will add approximately $850 to the cost I have in the pistol, bringing my investment around $1900. I do not have the money to do this right now, but I can start saving.

Option 2: I sell the pistol, and I purchase a new one. It is important to me that I purchase something with a lightweight frame, so this will limit my options. Possibly a Colt CCO or a LW Commander? I'd love to custom-order an Ed Brown Exec. with an un-checkered Kobra Carry frame, but I am not in a position to drop that kind of cash.

I must admit that I like very nice guns. I use everyone that I own, but I do not like to skimp on quality. For this reason, I will not likely purchase certain brands if I were to purchase a new pistol for everyday carry.

Your thoughts??
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

Take a look at the Colt New Agent.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Start saving. However, consider that there are other shops that do great work on 1911s. Ed Brown's and Novaks are two, but there are others. Do some research.

VIP Member
    Not sure what your budget is, but if you decide to sell the Colt, take a look at the Dan Wesson Guardian.

CZ-USA -> Dan Wesson Guardian
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have done research.

I just cannot decide if I should modify this particular pistol or leave it as-is. It will likely be devalued by most work, won't it? I figured the work done by the CCS would hold most, if not all, it's value.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Not sure what your budget is, but if you decide to sell the Colt, take a look at the Dan Wesson Guardian.
    This is in my budget. I'd like to keep this purchase or project under $1800.

I like the bobtail and the LW frame. Very nice.

1967 Colt Commander .38 Super?

Be still my heart!

You didn't say what you feel like it needs but I can say that, for myself and my self-defense needs, a Colt Commander .38 Super is tricked out just right from the factory. I'd far rather have your pistol "as-is" than any highly customized 1911 creation or polymer pistol ever made.

I would be particularly unimpressed with a highly customized adulteration of the original. If the Commander has proven itself to be dependable then I'd be for leaving it completely alone and enthusiastically shooting it. A lot of practice ammo and fun times could be had with the money spent on custom work.
    msgt/ret and OD* like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    1967 Colt Commander .38 Super?

Be still my heart!

You didn't say what you feel like it needs but I can say that, for myself and my self-defense needs, a Colt Commander .38 Super is tricked out just right from the factory. I'd far rather have your pistol "as-is" than any highly customized 1911 creation or polymer pistol ever made.

I would be particularly unimpressed with a highly customized adulteration of the original. If the Commander has proven itself to be dependable then I'd be for leaving it completely alone and enthusiastically shooting it. A lot of practice ammo and fun times could be had with the money spent on custom work.
    I have to agree unless it has some major shortfalls that make it unsuitable for your uses I would leave it as is and enjoy a fine firearm and cartridge.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    Start saving. However, consider that there are other shops that do great work on 1911s. Ed Brown's and Novaks are two, but there are others. Do some research.
    Ed Brown hasn't offered custom gunsmithing in years.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Sell it, to me! I kid, is there a reason it needs mods? I'm with the old timers on this one this far.
    Beans likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Yes, I am also wondering just what needs to be changed?

Super .38 in a lightweight configuration with decent sights and a decent trigger. What else do you want?
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Sounds good, but for me, if I'm going to carry the big gun, I'd want it chambered for the big round. I'd still love to have one of those to take to the range, though!
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I like option 1

I'd go with your option 1 - send the gun to Colt for whatever improvements you want. You said the gun was worn and showing its age, so it might need some help. If it were in new condition I would probably keep it in unfired condition as an investment, but since it is already used, you might as well make improvements.

I have modified several Colt 1911s to make them more to my liking, and I have also kept a couple of unfired ones in that condition as investments. But if I acquire one that is a "shooter" like yours, I will try to improve it. Here is a 45-year old Gold Cup that I acquired in worn condition. I modified it with Wilson hammer and beavertail, S&A magwell, Wilson magazine, new grip panels and reblued finish.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

That Gold Cup looks great!

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    What are you considering having done to the Colt? Besides reliability work/tuning, some new sights and possibly a refinish, what could it need? I think it's easy to go overboard on a service/carry gun at times. List your necessities and go from there, you may be able to have a build completed for less than you expect.

Links