In an odd position. But a good one.

This is a discussion on In an odd position. But a good one. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Im fairly new to this forum. Not firearms just this forum. And I find myself in a odd position. Through some unusual circumstances I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: In an odd position. But a good one.

In an odd position. But a good one.

Hi Im fairly new to this forum. Not firearms just this forum. And I find myself in a odd position.

Through some unusual circumstances I find myself without a handgun at the moment. But my son over the last year has for one reason or another wound up owning the last three handguns I owned before.
    However I am not going unarmed. Ive been carrying the pt 945 that I owned before. My son owns it but loaned it to me until I decide which way im going to restock on handguns.

Today he came over and brought the Taurus PT 840 he bought new traded to me for the 45 then bought back when I sold it due to temporary financial reasons. As of today he is now carrying the 45 and I am carrying the 840 He also has the kel tech 9mm that he traded me the 45 for a few years ago.
    So to make this as short as I can between my son and some friends with multiple firearms loaning me handguns since they cant stand the idea of me being unarmed any more than I can Ive carried the above mentioned plus a Ruger SR9c, Ruger sp 101, Ruger Lcr 380. You get the picture. Im getting to carry shoot and get familiar with a lot of handguns in a short period of time. Some newer models , some ive owned copies of before or the same gun plus expierence with Glocks Smiths etc that ive owned over the last 5 years.

Starting next month Ill be picking up the first of my replacements to get to a total of three at least over a few months. Due to political climates I wont be getting rid of these three guns in the future once ive gotten them. Its sort of like being a kid in a candy store sampling before I buy

Im leaning toward going all Ruger this time around. I love Taurus, never had a bad one but they have all been semi auto and I intend to put at least one 357 mag in the mix.
    Pocket carry and the feel of the mini 380 doesnt grab me. Im not recoil sensitive like revolvers about as well as semi autos so my proposed lineup is looking like this. A Ruger SP 101 Ruger SR9c and a Ruger SR40C. If any of you have any suggestions Id be glad to hear em.
    Glocks are fine guns but historically I cant hit the broad side of a barn with one. Its me not the gun we just dont mesh. Everything else ive ever handled Im accurate with. I cant afford 1000 dollar guns but middle of the road price I can work with. I normally carry two. So fire away if you have any suggestions, at the present I can probably lay hands on it and try it

2. Remove Ads

You can't go wrong with the Rugers !

I'm not a Glock fan myself but have to say when I was having problems with my Sig P220C
    the guy next to me was punching out the ten ring with a 9mm Glock. To each their own.

J

VIP Member
    Man, you must have spent a fortune in holsters for all those borrowed guns. Rugers are good guns. I prefer Smith revolvers, but Ruger gas quite a following and they are well made.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I think you have made fine choices out of the three. Myself, I might drop one of the Ruger Autos, probably the .40 for a Sig 2022 or P250 just for something different. The 2022 is one of the best guns for the price on the market. And the ability to switch what acts as the frame on the P250 gives you a sub-compact, compact, and full size all in one pistol.

The SP101 is a most excellent little wheel gun and I would choose it any day over a mandated safety lock on a Smith.

Can't go wrong with the SP101.
    mulle46 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Sounds like a fair, and well thought out selection. Of the three you mentioned, I have only the SP101. For some reason I have never been attracted to Ruger pistols.

God luck with your choices.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

SR9c gets my vote.
    Question Everything!

VIP Member
    Sounds like you have a plan. Just myself, I'd drop the SR40c (you've already got the compact filled) and get the SR1911 in it's place. SP101 and SR9c are both fine guns.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have a sr40c and I don't think I would trade it. It is my EDC gun.

I personally don't like a .40 and prefer a .45 BUT, it's what you feel best about and the Rugers are very fine arms at a decent price.

I'm a Glock guy, but that Ruger SP101 you mentioned will serve you well...it's a tank.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Man, you must have spent a fortune in holsters for all those borrowed guns. Rugers are good guns. I prefer Smith revolvers, but Ruger gas quite a following and they are well made.
    I have a couple of Bianchi soft leather holsters that fit about anything for IWB. For the few that havent my son and friends have just handed over holster and gun to match. (I have few but VERY good friends) To be fair Ive loaned these same folks my truck my motorcycles and about anything else Ive owned over the years so this is kinda payback. We just are that way with each other. Its been fun though. I see a couple of suggestions that make sense. I could go Sr1911 and drop the 40. And I might though im as comfortable with 40 as I am 45. Gotta think about that one Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sounds like you have a plan. Just myself, I'd drop the SR40c (you've already got the compact filled) and get the SR1911 in it's place. SP101 and SR9c are both fine guns.
    I agree with this. SP101, SR9c, and SR1911 would make for a fine family portrait. You definitely have a well-thought out plan. I don't have experience with any of these (although the SP101 3" in .357Mag is on my short list), but all three have fine reputations for quality and value. The wheel-gun, semi-auto polymer pistol, 1911 combo would make for a very solid collection, for a very reasonable price.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

+1 for SP101

SP101- check
    SR9c- check

SR40c- skip

The SR9c and SR40c are basically the exact same gun except the obvious difference in caliber. Though it would be good because they would have similar shooting characteristics, you'd be better served not buying the SR40c and buying more 9mm practice ammo. Or buying a different 9mm gun like an LC9, S&W Shield etc. Or get a pocket 380. Or get something like a 1911 to satisfy that big gun urge.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links