Defensive Carry banner

Want List incompatible with my Need List

3K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Goat_Herder 
#1 ·
I'm sure this is the same story for most of us here. I'm in the market for the perfect CC handgun, but at this pont of my search I just like too many of them. I'm like a kid in a candy store that wants everything, but can afford much less, and am paralyzed with indecision.

First of all I'm an all-metal guy. Though I see the value of polymer guns, they do nothing for me. There is just something about the heft and feel of an all-metal gun that, for me, is lost with a polymer gun. For me it's more than picking the right tool for the job, it's about the love affair too. I'm sure many of you know what I mean. Second, my preferred calibers are 9mm and .380. I don't get hung up on the debate as both will do the job when applied properly. So, with that all said here's my list in no particular order.

1. Walther PPK. A classic and sill relevant IMHO. If I get one it would be an Interarms version and not the S&W simply because I dislike the huge tang on the S&W version. I have small hands and slide bite is not an issue for me.

2. Bersa Thunder CC. Based on price and reputation alone it is hard to beat this one. In all my reading I've never heard a bad thing about a Bersa.

3. CZ Rami BD. I'm a big fan of CZ and my current carry gun is a CZ 82.

4. Sig 238/938. I prefer the 938, but my concern is that Sig slapped a longer barrel and slide on a gun designed around the .380. I need to research this a bit more. I have a Sig P6 for home defense and have had one stovepipe in 7 years because I limp-wristed a shot. Sig = Reliable.

5. Kahr MK9. I love the look and feel of this one. The only thing I don't like is no safety. I understand their argument that the long double action pull eliminates the need for a safety, but I disagree with that and I wish it had one.

6. Colt Mustang. Now that they're CNC'd out of bar stock, this gun finally is what it should have been when it was first manufactured.

7. Beretta Cheetah. Leave it to the Italians to make a gun reliable while being sexy as hell. You know that woman in the Fiat 500 commercial? The one that is scolding the slightly wimpy looking guy for staring at her? That woman is the Cheetah.

So...that's my list. Any one of those would make a great carry gun and it really comes down to personal preference. My "problem" is I want all of them for various reasons, but can only afford one. Glad I have the CZ 82 as I don't think I'll make my decision any time soon.

See less See more
#5 ·
I have had a Colt Mustang, and cant say anything bad about it. I still have a Walther PP in 32 auto, with the factory magazines Ive not had any problems. But Ive not found any after market mags that will feed 100%. I would buy another Colt in a heartbeat and would also want to try a Sig. DR

#6 ·
I'm not going to knock your list because like Woody Allen said, "the heart wants what the heart wants".

That said, I choose a carry weapon for its ability to do the job. Here's my check list for that particular scenario:

1. Flawless reliability
2. Viability for intended purpose (in other words, can I carry it every day under normal conditions)
3. Ease of operation
4. Mistake proof design
5. Consistency in operation

How pretty it is, or how giddy I get when looking at it, are absolutely irrelevant to me personally. Sure you can train past almost anything, but under duress, I don't want to bet on it. I want the most simple, reliable, consistant tool at my disposal.

Reactions: Remy
#11 ·
Actually, IMO, only one of them does.

1. PPK - active safety breaks criteria 3, active safety on the slide - breaks 4, DA trigger - breaks 5
2. Thunder - active safety breaks criteria 3, active safety on the slide - breaks 4, DA trigger - breaks 5
3. CZ - DA trigger - breaks 5
4. Sigs - Active safety breaks 3
5. Kahr - GTG
6. Colt - Active safety breaks 3
7. Beretta - active safety breaks criteria 3, DA trigger - breaks 5

I don't have any personal experience with any of them (so I can't speak about reliability) so for this reply, I'll assume they are all unquestionably reliable.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking any of them, nor am I knocking anyones choice for carrying them. I'm simply illustrating why I would rule them out for a full time CC pistol for myself.

#9 ·
Sig P238 or Kahr MK9

I have 3 of the guns on your list, the PPK and the P238 in .380, and the Kahr MK9 in 9mm. Of the two .380s I would recommend the Sig P238 over the PPK. The Sig has a better trigger and is lighter weight and more concealable than the PPK. But in 9mm I think highly of the Kahr MK9. The Kahr is also very concealable in a belt holster and handles recoil well because of its weight. The Kahr has a very smooth DAO trigger and really doesn't need a safety, in my opinion.

#10 ·
This is why many of my handguns have been customized, it's too difficult to find a gun that is everything you want out of the box. Find something close and get a good 'smith to finish it off for you.

#18 ·
I am the same. I have an Interarms PPK/S and have fired it a lot over the many years without any failures whatsoever. As the first shot is DA only, (presuming you carry it this way) the safeties aren't really an issue.

#14 ·
As I have stated many times, I want all the weapons that I don't presently have. We'll not really, I'll skip the Jennings, Bryco, Rohm, Jimenez, Lorcin and Glock to name a few of the bad ones IMO.

#15 ·
First of all I'm an all-metal guy. Though I see the value of polymer guns, they do nothing for me. There is just something about the heft and feel of an all-metal gun that, for me, is lost with a polymer gun. For me it's more than picking the right tool for the job, it's about the love affair too. I'm sure many of you know what I mean. Second, my preferred calibers are 9mm and .380. I don't get hung up on the debate as both will do the job when applied properly. So, with that all said here's my list in no particular order.

Look at the Kimber Solo STS....near perfect 9mm carry gun (as long as you use recommended ammo: 124gr or 147gr). Mine is the standard Solo and has not had a single misfire and shoots incredibly well.
The STS is all metal gun except the grip sides which you can customize as I did. See this review for details. IMO, a great pocket carry gun.

Real Guns - Kimber's 9mm Solo Carry STS

#16 ·
Look at the Kimber Solo STS....near perfect 9mm carry gun (as long as you use recommended ammo: 124gr or 147gr). Mine is the standard Solo and has not had a single misfire and shoots incredibly well.
The STS is all metal gun except the grip sides which you can customize as I did. See this review for details. IMO, a great pocket carry gun.
I did check out the Kimber Solo at my local shop. A sweet looking gun to be sure, but it didn't feel comfortable in my hand or point well for me. I wish it was otherwise because it was at the top of my list until I held it.

#19 ·
Nice wishlist. However I have to recommend you fill your holster first. What are you going to carry every day is the most important decision. If you poll the folk on the board I think you'll find that they have only 2-3 (max) guns they may carry depending on their clothing needs and/or some other personal criteria.

Look at your list again. You have several in the same size range. Why? You only need one subcompact carry weapon. And before anyone says it, if you're going to carry a BUG you can probably carry something slightly larger as you primary, IMO. So my personal opinion is one sub compact that can be uses as a BUG or pocket carry when nothing else can be concealed. Take your pick of what you listed but I have to agree I'd suggest a 9mm even if it is a little harder to shoot that a .380.

Next is you primary. Compact to small mid-size. I hear a lot of good things about the Kahrs and Glocks but I went with a M&Pc. Momma Bear carries the PPS.

Home defence-gimme-everything-you-can-so-I-can-get-to-the-shotgun: A good full size .40-.45 that can take the largest mag you can find.

After that you can go for wahatever you want to play with and trust me when I say that my wishlist is also alittle long, I just don't "need" any of them yet...

#20 ·
Look at your list again. You have several in the same size range. Why? You only need one subcompact carry weapon.
the OP's list is not a "Need" list, it's a "want" list. I, too, want a PPK in stainless steel. The pistol just oozes class. The DA is heavy, which is great for CC, and the SA trigger is AWESOME. I which all compact guns come with a trigger like that. However, the PPK in .380 is not too much fun to shoot. Consider the .380 is a weaker round, the felt recoil is sharp. I think it'd be hard to say no to it if I do find a PPK .32 in SS...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.