Want List incompatible with my Need List

This is a discussion on Want List incompatible with my Need List within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure this is the same story for most of us here. I'm in the market for the perfect CC handgun, but at this pont ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Want List incompatible with my Need List

I'm sure this is the same story for most of us here. I'm in the market for the perfect CC handgun, but at this pont of my search I just like too many of them. I'm like a kid in a candy store that wants everything, but can afford much less, and am paralyzed with indecision.

First of all I'm an all-metal guy. Though I see the value of polymer guns, they do nothing for me. There is just something about the heft and feel of an all-metal gun that, for me, is lost with a polymer gun. For me it's more than picking the right tool for the job, it's about the love affair too. I'm sure many of you know what I mean. Second, my preferred calibers are 9mm and .380. I don't get hung up on the debate as both will do the job when applied properly. So, with that all said here's my list in no particular order.

1. Walther PPK. A classic and sill relevant IMHO. If I get one it would be an Interarms version and not the S&W simply because I dislike the huge tang on the S&W version. I have small hands and slide bite is not an issue for me.

2. Bersa Thunder CC. Based on price and reputation alone it is hard to beat this one. In all my reading I've never heard a bad thing about a Bersa.

3. CZ Rami BD. I'm a big fan of CZ and my current carry gun is a CZ 82.

4. Sig 238/938. I prefer the 938, but my concern is that Sig slapped a longer barrel and slide on a gun designed around the .380. I need to research this a bit more. I have a Sig P6 for home defense and have had one stovepipe in 7 years because I limp-wristed a shot. Sig = Reliable.

5. Kahr MK9. I love the look and feel of this one. The only thing I don't like is no safety. I understand their argument that the long double action pull eliminates the need for a safety, but I disagree with that and I wish it had one.

6. Colt Mustang. Now that they're CNC'd out of bar stock, this gun finally is what it should have been when it was first manufactured.

7. Beretta Cheetah. Leave it to the Italians to make a gun reliable while being sexy as hell. You know that woman in the Fiat 500 commercial? The one that is scolding the slightly wimpy looking guy for staring at her? That woman is the Cheetah.

So...that's my list. Any one of those would make a great carry gun and it really comes down to personal preference. My "problem" is I want all of them for various reasons, but can only afford one. Glad I have the CZ 82 as I don't think I'll make my decision any time soon.

You will never find the prefect anything. Get something then fill in the wants it is a life long project.

Administrator
    Buy the Kahr and get over the mechanical safety thing. Only you can make the gun safe or not.
    Rock and Glock and SWIll like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Get a Glock 19.
    TX expat and aus71383 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have had a Colt Mustang, and cant say anything bad about it. I still have a Walther PP in 32 auto, with the factory magazines Ive not had any problems. But Ive not found any after market mags that will feed 100%. I would buy another Colt in a heartbeat and would also want to try a Sig. DR

VIP Member
    I'm not going to knock your list because like Woody Allen said, "the heart wants what the heart wants".

That said, I choose a carry weapon for its ability to do the job. Here's my check list for that particular scenario:

1. Flawless reliability
    2. Viability for intended purpose (in other words, can I carry it every day under normal conditions)
    3. Ease of operation
    4. Mistake proof design
    5. Consistency in operation

How pretty it is, or how giddy I get when looking at it, are absolutely irrelevant to me personally. Sure you can train past almost anything, but under duress, I don't want to bet on it. I want the most simple, reliable, consistant tool at my disposal.
    Remy likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

TX Has got the right formula, but I habeas a list too.

Any of the guns on my list have the ability to do the job as TX expat states. For me, it now comes down to satisfying desire.

Sig P238 or Kahr MK9

I have 3 of the guns on your list, the PPK and the P238 in .380, and the Kahr MK9 in 9mm. Of the two .380s I would recommend the Sig P238 over the PPK. The Sig has a better trigger and is lighter weight and more concealable than the PPK. But in 9mm I think highly of the Kahr MK9. The Kahr is also very concealable in a belt holster and handles recoil well because of its weight. The Kahr has a very smooth DAO trigger and really doesn't need a safety, in my opinion.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

This is why many of my handguns have been customized, it's too difficult to find a gun that is everything you want out of the box. Find something close and get a good 'smith to finish it off for you.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FusilGuy View Post
    Any of the guns on my list have the ability to do the job as TX expat states. For me, it now comes down to satisfying desire.
    Actually, IMO, only one of them does.

1. PPK - active safety breaks criteria 3, active safety on the slide - breaks 4, DA trigger - breaks 5
    2. Thunder - active safety breaks criteria 3, active safety on the slide - breaks 4, DA trigger - breaks 5
    3. CZ - DA trigger - breaks 5
    4. Sigs - Active safety breaks 3
    5. Kahr - GTG
    6. Colt - Active safety breaks 3
    7. Beretta - active safety breaks criteria 3, DA trigger - breaks 5

I don't have any personal experience with any of them (so I can't speak about reliability) so for this reply, I'll assume they are all unquestionably reliable.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking any of them, nor am I knocking anyones choice for carrying them. I'm simply illustrating why I would rule them out for a full time CC pistol for myself.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Of all you listed, I am a sucker for the PPK.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    CZ Rami or CZ75 Compact- Frame mounted safety for 1911 style muscle memory.

Amazing accuracy, perfect reliability and beautiful ergonomics.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    As I have stated many times, I want all the weapons that I don't presently have. We'll not really, I'll skip the Jennings, Bryco, Rohm, Jimenez, Lorcin and Glock to name a few of the bad ones IMO.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by FusilGuy View Post
    First of all I'm an all-metal guy. Though I see the value of polymer guns, they do nothing for me. There is just something about the heft and feel of an all-metal gun that, for me, is lost with a polymer gun. For me it's more than picking the right tool for the job, it's about the love affair too. I'm sure many of you know what I mean. Second, my preferred calibers are 9mm and .380. I don't get hung up on the debate as both will do the job when applied properly. So, with that all said here's my list in no particular order.

Look at the Kimber Solo STS....near perfect 9mm carry gun (as long as you use recommended ammo: 124gr or 147gr). Mine is the standard Solo and has not had a single misfire and shoots incredibly well.
    The STS is all metal gun except the grip sides which you can customize as I did. See this review for details. IMO, a great pocket carry gun.

Real Guns - Kimber's 9mm Solo Carry STS
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links