Opinions on first carry gun- SIG v. Glock

This is a discussion on Opinions on first carry gun- SIG v. Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have you tried the Springfield XDS? It has the .45 cal you're looking for and is thinner than the G36. I know you mentioned you ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Opinions on first carry gun- SIG v. Glock

Have you tried the Springfield XDS? It has the .45 cal you're looking for and is thinner than the G36. I know you mentioned you didn't like the grip safety, however, I honestly can not even tell it's there when I'm shooting it. I have owned many Springfield and never have had any issues with it at all. Also the gun shoots great, very accurate, and the recoil is very manageable for such a small .45.

2. Remove Ads

Glocks are always a good carry choice...

I have 3 Glocks, including the G36 and a G23, which is larger than the G27 you are considering. I have 6 Sigs but not the P250 you mentioned. I would probably favor the G36 on your list because I like 45 caliber and the slim size of the G36. The G27 is not a bad choice, however. Lately I have been carrying and shooting my G36 quite a bit, and am very impressed with the gun.

mwhartman and RETSUPT99 like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I personally don't like the recoil of a subcompact Glock 40 or 45, but if I had t choose.....I'd go with the 27 and get a 9mm barrel/mag for target shooting. It'll be more fun to shoot and cheaper. Don't carry a 27 with a 9mm barrel though...for possible legal reasons.

The 45 is quite expensive to shoot also.

Go shoot a G19 and G23 too....

By the way, look into a solid 9mm too. Don't get caught up in the "me have a big gun" attitude.

I too, carry a G 36. Great gun, easy to carry, and reliable!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

The Glock-36 has been my EDC for several years. Easy to carry, nice grip, easy to break down, dependable, and fun at the range.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Take your pick between the Glocks.

Shoot 'em before you buy 'em. Shorter grips don't work for everybody. I'm a Sigophile and frequently carry full-sized guns. They have served me flawlessly for a decade and I've no regrets about my choice. I live in a colder climate, so concealment is rarely a problem. I don't own a single Glock. If I were starting over today, I'd buy a Glock 19 or 23 and never look back. The mid-sized Glocks are a really nice compromise between reasonable concealment and shootability.

PC

Thanks for all the replies. I'm on my way to look at a Springfield XDs right now. I hope the shop has a glock 36 too.

All the weapons you list are fine choices, but at the end of the day, the simplicity, reliability and relatively lower cost make the Glock the best option. This platform is used by more U.S. LEO's than any other.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

I've shot a glock 27 and carry a p250sc 9mm. Both are great choices. I choose the p250 because I feel it is safer to carry with a round chambered.

Quote Originally Posted by DDQ View Post
    Thanks for the info guys! The lower round capacity is not an issue at all for me. In fact, if I do go with a glock 27 I will probably only carry it with 7 rounds to make it lighter. It would certainly be nice to have the option to carry more though.
    Why would you intentionally carry a gun below capacity? The heaviest common .40 cal bullet is 185 grains. So taking 3 rounds out of the gun saves you a whopping 1.2 oz. Wow, what a difference........NOT! On the flip side, most experts will tell you that 8 rounds is the MINIMUM for a good defensive pistol. In the unlikely event I ever do use my pistol to defend my life, I sure would want every advantage I could give myself. In that realm, 3 rounds makes a difference!

A .40 isn't going to be any less effective on a bear than a 45 IMO. Neither are really "bear calibers". If you are wanting to stop bears, get a Ruger Red Hawk Alaskan in .454 casull.
    ddclancy likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCartwright View Post
    Shoot 'em before you buy 'em. Shorter grips don't work for everybody. I'm a Sigophile and frequently carry full-sized guns. They have served me flawlessly for a decade and I've no regrets about my choice. I live in a colder climate, so concealment is rarely a problem. I don't own a single Glock. If I were starting over today, I'd buy a Glock 19 or 23 and never look back. The mid-sized Glocks are a really nice compromise between reasonable concealment and shootability.

PC
    Agreed 100%...that small grip on a G26/G27 is a deal breaker for me. Thinking about dumping my G26 for that very reason...and buy a thrid G19.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    I've shot a glock 27 and carry a p250sc 9mm. Both are great choices. I choose the p250 because I feel it is safer to carry with a round chambered.
    The striker on a glock is only partially cocked when a round is chambered (unlike the effectively single action XD or M&P) . So when being carried, the two guns should have comparable safety. Of course the chance of ANY gun discharging when holstered must be astronomically high.

The difference would be when handling or holstering. The longer trigger pull (both are in the neighborhood of 5.5 lbs) and external hammer give the SIG an edge here.

I am not a fan of the G36. I seldom carry mine because it is less comfortable for me to carry than a full size 1911. The low round count makes me prefer my MOD 60 357, when I consider power and comfort. I think the G36 is a great gun and easy to shoot, but if I had it to do over again I would go with the G27. I haven't checked out the Shield in 40 cal yet but you might want to take a peek at one.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

There is no question in my mind that the Glock 27 is the way to go. Small and powerful .40 that carries 9+1 for me. It's nice that I can carry a larger capacity Glock 22 or 23 mag as backup. There are no safeties to worry about (except your trigger finger). I had to put a smooth trigger on my Glock 27 though. I just dropped in an OEM Glock 17 smooth trigger because the factory 27 trigger is serrated which = painful trigger slap for me. Cleaning a Glock is easy....an untrained monkey could do it.

Overall, the 27 is just easy to carry…I forget it’s there most of the time.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links