USP Compact .45 vs Govt 1911....

This is a discussion on USP Compact .45 vs Govt 1911.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How does the HK USP 45 compare with the govt model 1911 as far as size is concerned? Looking for a new CCW..... Wish they ...

Thread: USP Compact .45 vs Govt 1911....

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar

USP Compact .45 vs Govt 1911....

How does the HK USP 45 compare with the govt model 1911 as far as size is concerned?

Looking for a new CCW.....

Wish they made a P2000SK in .45 (At least in GAP).....

BTW, I already own and occasionally carry Govt models, but have never performed a size comparison between the two....
    Perhaps a comparison with a G32 would be more accurate (?) as I have one of those as well...
    If anyone has pics they would be appreciated....
    Last edited by dimmak; October 16th, 2006 at 06:23 PM.
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

2. Remove Ads

If you mean 1911 with 5 inch barrel in steel...

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak View Post
    How does the HK USP compact 45 compare with the govt model 1911 as far as size is concerned?
    Looking for a new CCW.
    I just put a Colt 1911 (5 inch barrel, all steel) and a USP compact .40 on my desk and compared them, using a ruler. (The USPc 40 is very close in size to the USPc 45 - a hair smaller, I think).

The USP compact is considerably smaller than the 1911. In weight, the 1911 is 38 ounces empty, while the USPc is 24 ounces empty, a 14 ounce difference. In length, the USPc is about 1.5 to 2.0 inches shorter than the 1911, depending on whether you measure to the end of the slide or end of the beavertail - the USPc has a bobbed hammer which doesn't stick out, while the 1911 has a long "tang" and an external hammer.

The USPc is not as tall as the 1911 when you put them both on a table, sitting on their sights - the USPc is maybe 1/2 inch shorter.

In terms of thickness, the 1911 has an advantage in the slide area, as it is 0.9 inch thick, while the USPc is about 1.10 inches thick. But in the grip, the USPc is 1.10 inches thick, while the 1911 (with standard grip panels) is 1.2 inches thick.

The capacity of both guns is the same, 8+1 rounds with the right magazines.

Personally, I would much rather carry the USP 45c than the full size steel 1911, as it conceals more easily and has the same firepower. But there are smaller 1911s out there, with 3 and 4 inch barrels, and aluminum frames. You can also use thin grip panels on a 1911 to cut the grip thickness down to about an inch. My 4 inch barrel Kimber Pro is roughly comparable to the USPc 45, for example, and a 3 inch barrel Kimber Ultra would be smaller, but give up one round in the magazine.

Chunky!

Nice piece, but it and the mags are fatter.
    But if ya don't like 'cocked and locked'.....
    A CCO sized 1911....officer frame/commander slide, is a sweet set up for CCW. Like it alot better than the HK....nice gun though it may be. It is a matter of feel and IWB comfort.
    JC

I've got a USP Compact .45 and it'll be my carry gun as soon as my permit arrives. I haven't got any real experience with a 1911, so I can't give a direct comparison, but I did consider both weapons and ended up going with the USP. Why? Well, the biggest reason was that USP has a reputation for being very reliable and a good shooter right out of the box (something that's not true about some 1911 models). I didn't want a gun to tinker with or shoot super-tight groups at the range, I wanted something that would put holes in the BG without fail. When I bought it, I didn't have much previous experience with handguns and didn't know how I'd want to carry it. The USP can be carried in Condition 1 (which is the way I plan to carry it) but it can also be carried as a decocked DA/SA style pistol (the USP can also be converted to the LEM trigger, which is a "Glock Style" light DAO trigger). The USPc mags are semi-staggered, not as wide as a true double stack (like a glock) but they get you an extra round and because they slope inward towards the top they're easier to get into the mag well than a single stack.

Lead Moderator
    My SA Champ 4" barrelled 1911 is my daily carry gun. Till the weather turns nasty, then my USP F comes out. Both guns are great, and near the same (other than thickness) in size. but the SA conceals alot easier.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I occasionally carry a Colt Govt model and am considering the Colt Defender with possibly installing a bobtail MS housing, however I am seriously considering the USP as a CCW option.....
    One reason is as Rocky stated, for nasty weather and for the utilitarian factor like my GLOCKS....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

SIG P220 carry?

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    SIG P220 carry?
    Sig P220ST.....

Got it on right now.....

Why?
    Last edited by dimmak; October 16th, 2006 at 06:37 PM.

Defender vs. USP compact

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak View Post
    I occasionally carry a Colt Govt model and am considering the Colt Defender with possibly installing a bobtail MS housing, however I am seriously considering the USP as a CCW option,
    You mentioned the Colt Defender that you are considering. When you compare the Defender to the USP compact there is a definite size difference. Although they both weigh the same (about 25 ounces), the Defender is thinner than the USP by about 0.2 inch in the slide and 0.1 inch in the grip (with thin grip panels). It is also not as long or as tall as the USP. I have both guns and the Defender is easier to conceal yet holds almost the same number of .45 rounds (8) as the USP compact (9).

I will say that I have not seen a Defender or any 1911 with officer's grip given a bobtail treatment. All the bobtails I have seen are on 1911s with regular length grips. The officer's grip is already about 1/2 inch shorter than the government length grip, so a bobtail may not be needed.

los
    Handgun barrel length shouldn't play a major issue regarding concealability. Slide width/girth and Grip length will.

The 1911 can be modified to accept a flat mainspring housing and ultra thin carry grips. The USP series can't.

I carried a USPc45 utilizing a Mitch Rosen 5JR OWB rig for about a year. I was never totally comfortable with the size of the USP. I ended up selling it and bought a Kimber S/S Ultra Carry that concealed much, much better than the USP ever did.

A few HUGE positive things about the USPc45 was it's reliability. It ate everything I fed it and accuracy was exceptional at CQB distance. Not one FTF or FTE instance throughout my ownership.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

As stated, my current primary CCW is a Sig P220ST, so size is not really the main issue, I am hoping that the USP will save a bit of weight and perhaps lend itself to less desirable environs. I already have all the GLOCKs I am interested in owning at this point and find the 2nd strike capability of the HK to be a nice plus....
    The Colt Defender would be a nice compliment to my XSE 1070...

I'll probably end up with both in the end, just have to convince "the warden"....

the best carry gun is the gun that you will carry each and everday!!!! no matter the size or the size of the round in the gun. after after 29years on the job i have found that it does not matter the size of the gun; you need to find the gun that you will carry each day (not leave in the car or at home). 45 acp, 40 cal, 9mm, 38sp 380 auto, 25 acp, 22lr, etc.. it does not matter!!!! it only matter if you will carry it... only tv you need the biggest gun in the gun fight. in real world you only need the gun in hand, no matter the size. this is from someone who has been there!

I have been on the job nearly 32 years and I agree with Frank. I have seen an awful lot of people shot dead with .380acp pistols. I would recommend a lot of practice with what you carry and keep it clean.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

Close in size except the thinkness the Hk's are wide compared to the 1911

thus making the 1911 easier to conceal IWB

Links