Feel or accuracy more important?

This is a discussion on Feel or accuracy more important? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great feedback guys! Looks like I'll need to keep the G26 on my short list....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Feel or accuracy more important?

Great feedback guys! Looks like I'll need to keep the G26 on my short list.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

2. Remove Ads

Find a pistol that is reliable and that you can shoot well. "Feel" will come after that.

I used to shoot 1911's only and anything other than a 1911 didn't "feel" right. I hated Glocks. They pointed wrong and felt weird.
    Now I only carry and shoot Glocks and going back to a 1911 feels strange. I point low with 1911's now.
    It all comes down to what you practice with and that is why your choice of a reliable pistols is the most important factor.

The Glock 26 is a great pistol. I have one but would choose my Glock 19 over it any day if I could only have one.

Keep us informed on what you end up doing!

Get what you want and commit to it.

It's like buying a new truck. You aren't used to how it "feels" right away. But since you have committed to it, you quickly adapt.

I agree with the majority. Feel will come as you get used to most guns however if items are misplaced for your reach or hand size that is a different issue entirely. If you can't drop the mag without repositioning, if you have trouble with reach or the thumb cutout does not match up. Those problems have nothing to do with feel. I don't care for glocks. It's my preference some people make it sound like they are the only gun that ever reliably fired. It's all personal preference. test drive everything you can and make your own decision.

both feel and accuracy are important. you got to try several named brand guns to get the one thats fits.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    I often see people talk about how important it is to get a gun that feels right in your hand because you'll likely shoot better with it and want to shoot it more often because it's fun/comfortable to shoot. As I continue to narrow down my choices for a CC I always have the G26 on my mind. I love the durability and accuracy I've always read about in the Glock brand. The couple times I've had a chance to fire a Glock (although a G17 and G19) they never felt "right", but I've shot them very well. So, my questions are, how many of you have purchased a pistol due to its accuracy despite it not feeling right? Has the feel of that pistol grown on you? If not, is the enjoyment of firing it accurately enough to make you continue taking it to the range? Do the Gen 4 backstraps on the Glocks drastically effect the feel or do they not overcome the unique grip angle of the Glocks? Would after market grips help the grip angle at all? Sorry, lots of supplemental questions, but really don't want to undergo buyer's remorse if I can help it. Thanks!
    The only reason I go to the considerable trouble of training and packing is to be able to defend myself. Period. End of story. Therefore, to me, the most important characteristics of a concealed carry weapon are:
    1. Reliability. The gun goes bang absolutely every time I pull the trigger with out fail. Period.
    2. Hitting what I shoot at during simulated combat practice. I always practice drawing from cover, use a timer, and score myself. Given the gun goes bang, hitting what I intended to hit is vital. If the assailant requires a hit to stop attacking, I can't miss fast enough or close enough to win a gunfight. Hits count.

Those two are mandatory. Other things are a matter of degree.

Concealability is imortant but negotiable by changing what you wear. The more concealable a gun is the more likely you are to have it with you. Changing clothes to make a reliable gun you shoot well concealable is part of the decision to carry every day every place it's legal, or not. I have 6 carry guns to choose from (G19, G26, G36, XDs, P238, LCP). My wife is used to the extra minute it takes to change guns if I have to change clothes. All my carry guns meet both conditions or they wouldn't be in my gunsafe. I pick the most gun that I can conceal given the clothes I have to wear.

Feel doesn't matter as long as how it feels doesn't degrade accuracy or reliability.

Pretty doesn't matter when the only thing that matters is getting off the first accurate shot to stop an assailant.

Cost matters. It's easier to have a good selection of $600.00 carry guns than it is to have several $3,500 guns. A good selection of $600.00 guns is more likely to result in having one on your person if you need it than one $3,500 gun.

From all I've read, there are no style points in a gunfight. There is winning and losing. Reliability and Accuracy are, to me, very important parameters when it comes to choosing a weapon to bring to a self defense gunfight. Everything else is optional.

Fitch
    DJC7 likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

If a gun does not feel right in my hand I will not buy it. The angle of the grip, for me, is the most important thing for point shooting.

Feel is what is important to me. If it feel good it translate to better shout placement. Same with a baseball bat, golf clubs tennis racket. Naturally you trend to go with what feels good for you to handle. Of course go and shoot both before the purchase or and then spend more time at the range period.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    I often find that if it feels right, I tend to shoot it right. JMHO.
    Funkybassplayer likes this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And the search for the "perfect" gun continues . . .
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Accurate, reliable, grip angle, sites, full 3 finger grip, being able to work functions with one hand (mag release, safety, slide lock, etc.), trigger pull and break.

PEF basically nailed it.

You can learn to shoot nearly anything well. Those with triggers and ergonomics that line up naturally with what your body wants to fall into are the ones you generally perform well with, out of the box.

Example: the first time I picked up a PPQ, a CZ 75B, and SR9c, I shot well instantly at 50 feet.

With Glocks, I tend to print high-- especially under rapid fire. With trigger time, I am able to rewire my body to instinctively drive the muzzle down to where I need it, but I have to work at maintaining the automatic reaction to feeling that grip in my hand. In contrast, I can pick up my PPQ and punch out into perfect sight alignment every time. The PPQ has been that way for me since I first picked it up.

Note: the above is in the context of slow fire, for the most part. I shoot the PPQ 9 better than a G19 in rapid fire, but I shoot the G23 (Gen 4) better than any other .40 I've fired when speed increases.

The 3 most important things are fit, fit, and fit. You can develop a feel for any reliable gun that fits. I can shoot horrible fitting and feeling guns accurately but not deploy them quickly and accurately.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    do you think a beginning bicycle racer could tell you which bike "feels" better and have that translate 100% or so into the best racing bike for him or her?

would a beginning violinist be able to tell which of two or three similar violins "feels" best to him/her and so pick out the best fiddle?
    Great analogy. I fit athletes to different sports equipment. FIT is the key word, not really "feel". Novices to a sport may not be comfortable with the "feel" of properly fitted performance equipment. Glocks aren't at all human hand shaped; maybe Lego hands, but they shoot well (I still hate 'em )
    If the grip and reach FIT, the rest is personal preference and muscle memory.

How accurate is it when it feels good?

Any design with the sights regulated properly to the bore and built to reasonable tolerances can be shot accurately. But without using sights is it pointing where you feel it is? Revolver wise I cut my teeth on a four inch "K" frame Smith. At one point I owned a six inch Colt Trooper MkIII. Was the Trooper less accurate than a Smith? No. But I was less accurate with it. I actually had to use the sights on it. Traded it in on an "L" frame. It shoots where I point it. With the slide off my P220 I can zap one of my cats with CT laser from across the house. I am not talking walking the laser in. I when I hit the switch the little red dot is on the cat. At practical combat ranges my night sights were a waste of money because I don't need them. Pointing my Sigs is as natural as pointing my finger.

Yes you can learn to feel just about anything, given enough time. I don't care about brand names. For me it is all about what works for me. Unfortunately for me what works for me just happens to be towards the upper price range. That is why all of mine are previously owned.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links