Comparison: Smith & Wesson M&P9 vs. Heckler & Koch P30 - Page 2

Comparison: Smith & Wesson M&P9 vs. Heckler & Koch P30

This is a discussion on Comparison: Smith & Wesson M&P9 vs. Heckler & Koch P30 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have owned both and shot both of them extensively. Hands down you can give me an M&P and my 400.00 bucks back any day ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Comparison: Smith & Wesson M&P9 vs. Heckler & Koch P30

VIP Member
    I have owned both and shot both of them extensively. Hands down you can give me an M&P and my 400.00 bucks back any day of the week.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I don't know much about the HK, but have been reviewing accuracy of the M&P in 9mm. It is pretty dismal to just plain pathetic.
    Not the case with the 40 and 45 cal. which seem to do about 2 to 2.5 at 25 yds.
    I know many people say they get one hole groups at 7 yards, but that is not a reasonable test. 25 yds is a decent test and if you want a 2.5" or better 9mm, you have to plan on a new barel "in most ases".
    That is a sad state of affirs for S&W who seem to be satisfied with a dusgusting 3" at 10 yds.
    I like the M&P but want S&W to know their 9mm sucks and they need to fix it. Please let them know you feelings as well.
    Best wishes to all.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    I don't know much about the HK, but have been reviewing accuracy of the M&P in 9mm. It is pretty dismal to just plain pathetic.
    Have you tried using a different size backstrap? Like I said in my review, the small felt better but my groups tightened up noticeably when I switched to the medium.

Even then I struggled to be consistent. Some shots looked and felt right and hit the center of the bulls-eye, but most just never seemed to connect. It may be the sights. I have heard the same complaint about both the M&P and the P30: that the front sight blade is so much narrower than the gap in the rear sight, it results in some "play" in the sight picture. You could try switching to Heinies, fiber optics, or some other sight to see if that helps.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

eyeor: I do not own a M&P, as I said, I have been reading up on the ability of the 9mm which is so dismal. My son own a M&P in 45cal. S&W to do something about it.
    I have thought about buying the HK, but it is not the fit in my hand as the M&P.
    It's a real catch 22 isn't it.
    Best to you.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I tried both. Bought the P30 9mm v3 with yellow Trij sights. No comparison what so ever. The H&K was better in every aspect save the cost.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

nice write up. ergonomics do make a big difference. just like with women and cars. the price difference isnt such a big deal for me considering its only about $400-$500 difference. if an HK is extra special in the eye of the beholder, extra $500 isnt much for a tool used to save your life. my next purchase will probably be a smith, i have shot both and prefer the m&p.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links