Comparison: Smith & Wesson M&P9 vs. Heckler & Koch P30

This is a discussion on Comparison: Smith & Wesson M&P9 vs. Heckler & Koch P30 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Attached (PDF file) is my review/comparison of these two pistols. Just one man's opinion... Happy New Year!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Comparison: Smith & Wesson M&P9 vs. Heckler & Koch P30

Attached (PDF file) is my review/comparison of these two pistols. Just one man's opinion...

Happy New Year!
    Attached Files
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Great Review! It was well thought out, clearly communicated, with some pictures to boot. You addressed the items that experienced shooters would want to learn. I have the .45 version of the guns you reviewed HK 45c & M&P 45 compact. I think you are right on in your comparison. I too made the Apex tactical upgrades and it made a world of difference.

Nice work.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Comparing the 2 is like comparing a Toyota and Mercedes. Both will get you there but one is generally considered more reliable.
    At one with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Comparing the 2 is like comparing a Toyota and Mercedes. Both will get you there but one is generally considered more reliable.
    Hey BadHabit, which of those two automakers do you believe "is generally considered more reliable"? I've owned both & I can sure tell you upon which car brand my money is now bet.
    atctimmy likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I think there are contexts in which the 'apples and oranges' sentiment is appropriate. Those are generally preference related. When the conversation turns to performance, this is apples to apples. Accuracy, reliability, durability, manipulation ergonomics (control design and location)... these are bottom-line criteria. They may be subjective, but for a given individual one platform will be strictly superior.

I like both pistols. I would carry the M&P over the HK. I have handled each extensively, and have trigger time on the M&P and the V3 (DA/SA) P30. The M&P has been the better shooter for me, even with a stock trigger. I love the paddle style mag release, but I prefer the full length version used by Walther. The extended mag release (21st CG) for the M&P is great.

There are few pistols that I would prefer over the M&P, in an actual shoot-to-live scenario or environment.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    This comment tells me that you don't know what you're talking about. H&K pistols and the M&P series pistols are both considered to be top notch combat pistols. The primary difference between the two is the trigger type and the price tag.
    Burns likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    This comment tells me that you don't know what you're talking about. H&K pistols and the M&P series pistols are both considered to be top notch combat pistols. The primary difference between the two is the trigger type and the price tag.
    I agreee with BadHabit - comparing these two pistols seems strange. Yes, they are both pistols but one is full size, one compact... one DAO, one DA/SA.

Maybe the P30 vs. the CZ P-01. Or the M&P vz the G17?
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by satori59 View Post
    I agreee with BadHabit - comparing these two pistols seems strange. Yes, they are both pistols but one is full size, one compact... one DAO, one DA/SA.

Maybe the P30 vs. the CZ P-01. Or the M&P vz the G17?
    So which one is the more reliable one....I mean if you agree with BadHabit.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

When it comes to ergonomics, it's all in the hand. How a particular gun fits the individual (when held and when shooting) is the determining factor. So, ergonomics I generally leave to the individual.

However, there are some aspects to ergonimics which can provide information to the prospective buyer, and that can be where the fire controls are mounted on the gun. Whether there are "ambi" options available and things like that.

I think you did a very solid review on both guns, pointing out several "intangables" which can be helpful to anyone looking to purchase one.

I've only shot or handled two or three H&K's. From what I remember, I absolutely loved one of them and the other two were a "take it or leave it" proposition.

I love Glocks and hated getting rid of my G-23 but didn't need the caliber. I love my M&P's and carry them most of all. Great all around guns including combat and defensive.

But the bottom line, it still comes down to what feels right for You.

Reviews like this, definitely helps provide the reader with some good research and data from their perspective. As always, the individuals mileage may vary.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    So which one is the more reliable one....I mean if you agree with BadHabit.
    Ok, I guess I'm taking the 5th on the reliability thing (both are great guns worthy of being used to defend yourself), I was more focused on the Toyota/Mercedes comment.

I feel pretty comfortable side-stepping the reliability issue - the M&P I carry is a revolver. A M&P 360 (3" barrel).

(I drive a ten year old Camry.)
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

More reliable?

Has anybody discovered a phenomenon that represents a negative fail value? I only ask, because it seems that a P30 could not be more reliable than an M&P with zero failures.

My PPQ and SR9c have a combined zero fails over 6,000+ rounds fired. I suppose a P30 would have a minimum of -10 failures?
    atctimmy likes this.

For me....hard to beat the HK

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

The p30 has second strike capability. That means a lot for some.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I own an M&P 9mm and a USPc 9mm (which is arguably a much-older-model P30). I don't think that the USP's grip is as good as the P30's....but I do agree with his comments in general. I wouldn't hesitate to carry either pistol - but given the choice, I have to give a slight edge to the H&K.

If the question was an HK45 or an M&P....I'd go with the HK45 by a wider margin. For some reason the HK45 fits my hand like no other pistol that I've ever tried - but I'll readily admit that just because it fits in my paw doesn't mean it'll fit in anyone else's.

but I'll readily admit that just because it fits in my paw doesn't mean it'll fit in anyone else's.
    Agreed! ANY personal preference between the HK P30 & the M&P (or any other two handguns so closely comparable) is gonna' be subjective. Anyone who argues that their reasons for personal preference are universally objective is...a fan boy.

Thanks for the review EeyoreCC!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links