SP101 vs. 686+ vs. Colt?

This is a discussion on SP101 vs. 686+ vs. Colt? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, I currently have a SP101 2.25" and I love the gun, by far my favorite gun in the safe. I have a thing ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cthruit

Thread: SP101 vs. 686+ vs. Colt?

SP101 vs. 686+ vs. Colt?

Hi everyone,
    I currently have a SP101 2.25" and I love the gun, by far my favorite gun in the safe. I have a thing for revolvers and want to add another or two. I recently checked out a 3" and 4" GP100 and felt that it was a little big where my SP101 fits like a glove.

My question is this,
    Is the 686+ similar in size to a SP101 or a GP100 or maybe in-between? I havent held a 686 in awhile but I seem to think its smaller than a GP but bigger than a SP, also I think the Model 60 is smaller than the SP101 and have no real desire for a Model 60 or "J" frame.

Also what model Colt is similar in size to a SP101?

I'm wanting to keep barrel length 3" or less, I carry my SP101 ALOT and want to be able to carry another snub 357, preferably in SS.

Pics if you go em!

thanks
    Steve
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

2. Remove Ads

Sorry, I cannot help. I liked my first SP101 so much I got two more without even considering other options.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    The 686 and GP100 are similar in size. If the GP 100 is a bit too big, you may have the same feeling with the 686. Try it out at a range - it's a ubiquitous revolver, and most ranges have them as rentals. But if you use combat grips, it does give the revolver a "smaller" feel. I find the 686 in 2.5" perfectly balanced for me.

The 686 is an L frame revolver. You may want to try a K frame, which is slightly lighter, but the grip sizes are the same. I still think the K frames are a bit large for carry - for me.

The SP101 is slightly larger, but not much larger, than a J frame. Being lighter by several ounces, the j-frame is just a smidge more carry friendly than the SP101 - but for OWB it won't make much of a difference.

Can't help you on the colt. I have an old Colt Agent, which is larger than my j frames, but I rarely shoot it and I am not familiar enough with it to give you any straight dope.

VIP Member
    In my mind the K frame was revolver perfection. (Well, other than how they look. A nice blued Colt is beautiful to look at.) I have carried K frames off and on for years. To me the 66 is the best of the best when looking at wheelies, but I have a few others that also work quite well.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The Colt agent is a D frame in the Colt lineup. The Diamondback is also a D frame and is probably comprable to a SP101. I prefer the GP100 in the Rugers lineup and it is probably comprable to the 686. I shot a small gripped SP101 with a .357 load and hated it. I couldn't wait to put it down. I however love to shoot the GP100. If I had to carry a revolver I prefer the J frame Smith 642 airweight with crimson trace laser.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

The DA trigger on the Colt Diamondback or Detective Special stacks a lot near the end of the pull. Some like that and some don't. Be sure to try one before buying.

K-frame Smith triggers are sweet. Many K-frame choices in grips available too. They are the cream de la cream of DA revolvers IMO.
    They are commanding a premium and getting scarce on Gunbroker though.

Ruger's old 3" Speed Six is their best DA revolver to me. If you can find a nice one you should latch on to it if you are a Ruger fan.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll have to go try some 686s. Everything seems hard to find now in my area, even revolvers. Kinda funny, I often times just hold my SP101 in my hand because I love the balance/size/weight and hoping to find another for a little variety. I'm already planning on a 3" 327fed SP101 but I like the 357s.

I have 'em both and the are great tools but are bricks when carrying them. If you are set on a revolver look at a Smith 327. It is the scandium 8-shot N-frame. 4 inch barrel. Nice and light....
    At one with the gun.

Snubby comments

The S&W 686 snubby is considerably larger than the Ruger SP101. The 686 weighs about 34 ounces empty, holds 6 rounds (or 7 in the + version) and is pretty substantial for a snubby. The Ruger SP101 snubby weighs in at about 25 ounces and holds 5 rounds.

The Colt equivalent to the SP101 would be the Detective Special snubby, which holds 6 rounds, is generally restricted to .38 caliber, and weighs about 21 ounces empty. The Detective Special and the SP101 will fit in the same holster. But the Detective Special has not been manufactured in about 20 years. I bought mine new in about 1992, and it was one of the last ones.

My favorite snubby in .357 magnum is the K frame S&W, either the stainless model 66 or the blued model 19. These are about 32 ounces empty.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I agree with some of the previous posts. I'm a Ruger revolver fan, particularly the SP101 & the now discontinued Security/Speed/Service Six variants. Yet there are few revolvers ANYWHERE who can even stand in the shadow of a S&W 686. And Colt fans will pray for my ruination if I don't tip my hat in their hallowed direction.

Best solution for your quest is (IMHO) a Ruger Security or Speed Six 2.75" Stainless. Depending on if you want a fixed-sighted round butt (Speed) or adjustable-sighted square butt (Security). If you wear it out, I'll buy it for your original purchase price. And yes, that's a...bet!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

pogo2, I gotta be honest, I was realy hoping you'd post some pics! You always some very nice wheel guns and those are some beauties. I love the 686 and Colt, keepers for sure.

Love the big wheelies, but the SP-101 would have to be my pick for CCW...if not, go big. The 686's a fine, with grips available to fit your hands, and will stand up to more magnum loads than I can afford...the same with the GP-100. I guess the feinsteins of the world would like up relegated to revolvers...don't feel unarmed should you decide it's come to that.
    Hulley likes this.

By Size:
    J Frame S&W 2" or 3" / LCR Ruger
    SP101 2" or 3"
    S&W K Frame Round Butt 2", 2-1/2", 3"/ Ruger Six Series 2-3/4"
    S&W L Frame 686 2.5" or 686Plus 3" 7 Shooter
    Ruger GP100 3"

I do not do Colt Revolvers, so no comment on them.

For belt carry barrel length is the main consideration for me. Over 3" starts to be a problem. Longer cover garment, Move my Bill Fold to a different pocket, ect.

With a Good Holster I would not have a problem carrying anything on the list.

A different consideration is weight. You can still locate S&W Night Guards. I have the K Frame 315NG 38 Special +P, and the 310NG N Frame 40 S&W/10mm. It is hard to explain, but both feel like you are carrying a 1 size smaller revolver.

My brother has a 3" Willey Clapp GP100 worked on by the Master Ron Power. Anyone who doesn't like it is way to pickey. He has no problem carrying it in a Lobo belt holster. I like my S&W's, but I would have no problem owning a 3" GP100 either. I would probably pick the 3" GP100 over a 3" 686 because the 3" 686 only comes in a 7 shooter which Safariland Comp II and Comp III Speedloaders are not made for. The GP100 uses the same Speed Loaders as a 6 shot L Frame S&W.

Bob

As far as size goes:
    -S&W 60 and SP101
    -S&W 686 and GP100

That being said, I've only carried the sp101 3"... always been a semi-auto guy but find the sp101 in rotation more and more.

As far as shooting and trigger goes, I like the Smith's trigger a bit better. Just of those that I've shot though. Thinking of some wolff's on mine and getting the trigger rounded.

Can't go wrong with either maker's though!

As for Colt, I'm no help.......
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Links