Question for j frame gurus

This is a discussion on Question for j frame gurus within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The guy I had ordered a 649 from has advised me that he will retire and close his shop long before the order is filled. ...

Thread: Question for j frame gurus

Question for j frame gurus

The guy I had ordered a 649 from has advised me that he will retire and close his shop long before the order is filled. So I said OK, bag it, as he is cashing out in two weeks. So this week I will order from another dealer. However, instead of a 649, I was thinking of a 640. A 640 Pro, to be precise. Here is my question: the 640 Pro cylinder is machined to accept moon clips. Does a cylinder set up for moon clips require them, or can they run without them? I apologise for my wheelgun ignorance. Considering that this gun also has real sights, it is tempting indeed.

2. Remove Ads

No, they do not require them. I love my 640 pro.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

VIP Member
    I have a 640 pro, moon clips are not required. I swapped out the rubber grips, which are pretty good, with Ahrend's combat grips. My favorite j frame by far.

Just trolling on this, but what made you go with the 640? Beautiful gun, but what benefit does that big pricetag have over the lesser costing 640 series?

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Just trolling on this, but what made you go with the 640? Beautiful gun, but what benefit does that big pricetag have over the lesser costing 640 series?
    1. All stainless, no aluminum.
    2. 9 oz heavier (desirable to many shooting 357)
    3. 1/4" longer barrel enables longer extractor
    4. Night sites

5. Faster reloads with moon clips over Speed Strips or Speed Loaders
    6. Positive Extraction with Moon Clips.
    7. No Loc
    8. Much better and faster access to a reload using the SAM Moon Clip Belt Carrier

You can get extra moon clips from TK. Same ones that come with your 640 Pro.
    Welcome to TK Custom.com & Moonclips.com

California Competition Works makes a 5 Shot J Frame Moon Clip Belt Carrier. A smaller version of the SAM for 6 and 7 shot 357's. Spring steel with center post construction. Small and Compact.
    http://www.demooner.com/
    The web site is not real great to navigate, when you find California Competition Works. You are looking for a SAM for 5 shot J Frame.

I carry my 442 Pro Moon Clip in a Lobo Pancake. Not a bad choice at all for belt carry.
    Lobo Gun Leather - Home

A word about 38/357 ammunition and Moon Clips. The Rim Under Cut on 38/357 ammunition is not a set size. Some will work with the J Frame Moon Clips and some won't. Winchester is on the Won"t List, too narrow of an under cut.
    Remington and Federal should work fine. I have also not had a problem with Speer. Other brands you will just need to check the fit.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    1. All stainless, no aluminum.
    2. 9 oz heavier (desirable to many shooting 357)
    3. 1/4" longer barrel enables longer extractor
    4. Night sites
    Okay, I just always see the j-frames as good small back ups or a primary for ankle holsters. Anything more seems to be a bit excessive. But, if you're shooting it all the time, I could see the extra weight and bbl length coming in handy.
    Good looking gun to say the least. Think if I was going for something like that, I'd get a full size.

Links