Hi-Point C9 question

This is a discussion on Hi-Point C9 question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wondering if anyone knows if this C9 has a firing pin block or safety other then the trigger safety. Thanks for any answers concerning ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hi-Point C9 question

Distinguished Member

Hi-Point C9 question

I wondering if anyone knows if this C9 has a firing pin block or safety other then the trigger safety. Thanks for any answers concerning this question. It is a cheap pistol but it sure shoots great and I have not had a malfunction yet with it. Around 200 rds of reloads through it. However my CCW weapon is a SW 642.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

2. Remove Ads

i know they have a magazine disconnect safety.. theres the manual safety on the side.. but i dont think there is a firing pin block on them..

VIP Member
    It has a sear block according to the manual. Check bottom rt hand side of page 3.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/manuals/C-9_CF380.pdf
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I love my C9 and JCP 40 Hi-Points.

However, the only thing holding back the firing pin is the sear. All of the safeties just block the sear. Should the sear fail or the slide retention pin fail, your gun will fire. For that reason, I won't carry them with a round in the chamber. I don't want to start a big argument I just prefer guns with more than one item holding the firing pin.

Ugly? Check
    Inexpensive? Check
    Reliable? Check
    Love it? Check
    Carry it? Never

I would carry this, but it is too heavy and big for a good concealed carry. Mine is the 45 ACP version.
    Attached Images
    darbo likes this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Ugly? Check
    Inexpensive? Check
    Reliable? Check
    Love it? Check
    Carry it? Never

I would carry this, but it is too heavy and big for a good concealed carry. Mine is the 45 ACP version.
    That magazine base reminds me of a 18V drill battery!
    pittypat21 and carracer like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

^ second that! I also have the JHP45... i painted my frame and grips olive drab and left the black slide... looks 5x better.. I have seen where folks have used certain 1911 mags with it with good success.. eliminating the stupid mag base extension.

Distinguished Member
    So I understand it now that it's not safe with a round chambered for carry.
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

it is and it isnt.. ive carried mine around out in the woods jumping all over the place bouncing around.. and I havent put a 45 round through anything i didnt want to.

on the other hand.. it can be unsettling for some to not have a firing pin block of some sort.. as was mentioned, IF the sear fails (likely due to excessive wear) or the slide retention pin, the sear will allow the cocked firing pin to move forward and fire a round.

I dont know how likely it is, but it can be a concern for some... although i have never heard of it happening, im not sure i would carry with one in the chamber with a cocked gun and walk around with my kid next to me or out in public.

I have a C-9, and don't carry it. I have other, more suitable carry guns, but part of the reason I don't carry the C-9 is the safety issue.

I'd like to take this opportunity to warn H-P owners of another safety concern with H-Ps. I don't know the technical details, but the firing pin is used as part of the ejection process. I had an accidental discharge as I was clearing the chamber of a live round. So don't ever cycle live rounds.... VERY dangerous. Fortunately nobody was hurt, and the gun seemed OK except that the bullet lodged in the barrel. I sent the gun back to the factory to have it checked over. They replaced the barrel and returned it with an extra mag, but no explanation as to what happened.

I don't have a Hi-point anymore however they are plenty safe carried with a round in the chamber. Some girls are afraid to carry a 1911A1 with 1 in the chamber. You all can do when you want.

Quote Originally Posted by rogertc1 View Post
    I don't have a Hi-point anymore however they are plenty safe carried with a round in the chamber. Some girls are afraid to carry a 1911A1 with 1 in the chamber. You all can do when you want.
    Your's is a very odd reply. That is all.
    "I can show you how to make a bomb out of a roll of toilet paper and a stick of dynamite." Dale Gribble

Distinguished Member
    So a lot of other auto loaders have only a sear safety and a trigger block safety?
    -Thomas Jefferson
    -Samuel Adams

I own a Hi Point in 45ACP and I've carried it before. It shoots well but can be a pain to carry all day since its so heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Ugly? Check
    Inexpensive? Check
    Reliable? Check
    Love it? Check
    Carry it? Never

Truck gun....Check
    Planet of the Apes gun....Check
    When it runs dry, it's heavy enough to bludgeon your adversary.

I like reliable guns...period. These have seen some pretty rough treatment and still shoot..they are too big for many folks to carry, but so's an M2, and they're good guns, too. Don't own one, but wouldn't be shamed by owning one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links