Which concealed carry gun to start with--one person's effort at making The Decision!

This is a discussion on Which concealed carry gun to start with--one person's effort at making The Decision! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I first started considering a CC based on a motorcycle forum I participate in. I posted a thread which taught me a lot about both ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Big_Blue
  • 1 Post By Spec

Thread: Which concealed carry gun to start with--one person's effort at making The Decision!

Which concealed carry gun to start with--one person's effort at making The Decision!

I first started considering a CC based on a motorcycle forum I participate in. I posted a thread which taught me a lot about both what and why everyone was carrying. Here is the thread (Who is packing heat (carrying a pistol) and why?).
    I've been a member here for only a few weeks, but if you're interested in a summary of what I've found out about guns in which I'm interested PM me an email address and I'll send you a spreadsheet I've been putting together during the holidays comparing 65 models from 15 manufacturers (so far). The data is from their web sites, and I provide the URL for the info on each gun. The color coding is my own subjective analysis of each gun's strengths and weaknesses. I've attached a screen shot of the spreadsheet to give you an idea what it looks like so you can decide if it would be useful to you. The data on each gun (with a few exceptions) includes:
    - Model name/number (the barrel length is in a comment in this cell)
    - Capacity
    - Length
    - CCF
    - Height
    - Width
    - Weight
    - Retail price
    - Real world price
    - URL
    I did some research on balistics, weapon selection, and gun laws to get myself up to speed. A number of sources disagreed on velocity versus caliber, and the effect on the target. The best source I found which I believe to be most accurate is the FBI paper at this URL ( http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf) "Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness" from 1989. Bottom line from the paper is that the larger caliber the better--end of story.
    Since I put the spreadsheet together to help me pick out my personal gun, the choices are naturally enough aimed at my own interests (semi-automatic, .45 ACP, sub compact, large magazine, reasonable price). As it stands right now my first choice is the Taurus 24/7 Gen2 C. My second choice is the Glock 30SF. And my third choice is the Springfield XD-M. My choice for a backup is appropriately named "The Backup" by High Standard.
    Still researching ammo, but believe I will look strongly at the Federal HST. I'll practice with something cheaper in the same grain, though.
    Still researching holsters, but leaning towards DeSantis holsters--both inside waist band (IWB) and outside (OWB).
    I filed for my CC Permit at the local courthouse. Should get it in 90 days.
    UPDATE: Oh, and a little off topic. I'm leaning towards the S&W Governor for home defense. Looked first at the Taurus Judge, but the price savings wasn't enough to make up for the lower quality.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Big_Blue; January 2nd, 2013 at 12:36 AM.
    DJC7 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Keep it simple. Get a Smith 642 with no lock and you'll be good to go for awhile. Oh get those FBI 158 grain loads for it....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I'm hoping this doesn't end up being another caliber, ahem, debate.
    I own both the 30SF and XD-m in 3.8 compact. Both are great pistols and accurate. I carry the XDm a lot more than the 30 as I like the weight a bit more.
    My recommendation is to not get too wrapped up in caliber size. A 22LR to the skull can kill, and getting shot in the arm with it ain't no picnic either. Shoot some at a range and decide if you want bigger caliber with less ammo or smaller caliber with more in a mag.

As a fellow motorcyclist I agree. You are an easy target for theft at a light or other grappling, up close and personal confrontation. I would look at a 357 snubbie. Lcr or a smith is a good choice. In a grappling match I want a gun that works everytime you pull the trigger. Auto pistols are easily knocked out of battery and can mis feed if you are not in a proper shooting stand providing a solid backing to let the recoil work the slide properly.

Just my opinion but I would have a revolver for Moto carry.

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    As a fellow motorcyclist I agree. You are an easy target for theft at a light or other grappling, up close and personal confrontation. I would look at a 357 snubbie. Lcr or a smith is a good choice. In a grappling match I want a gun that works everytime you pull the trigger. Auto pistols are easily knocked out of battery and can mis feed if you are not in a proper shooting stand providing a solid backing to let the recoil work the slide properly.

Just my opinion but I would have a revolver for Moto carry.
    Hmm, I hadn't really considered revolvers, mainly due to the extra width and the limited number of bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    I'm hoping this doesn't end up being another caliber, ahem, debate.
    I own both the 30SF and XD-m in 3.8 compact. Both are great pistols and accurate. I carry the XDm a lot more than the 30 as I like the weight a bit more.
    My recommendation is to not get too wrapped up in caliber size. A 22LR to the skull can kill, and getting shot in the arm with it ain't no picnic either. Shoot some at a range and decide if you want bigger caliber with less ammo or smaller caliber with more in a mag.
    Thanks. My son took me down to the local range a couple of times over the holidays. We shot Rugers LCP, LC9, SR9C, and an SR40C; a Kahr P45; a Springfield XDS; and Glocks 26, 27, 30SF, and 36. At a couple of gun shows I fondled Kimbers, Colts, some S&W M&P Shields, and Taurus 145 and 24/7 Gen2 C.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Keep it simple. Get a Smith 642 with no lock and you'll be good to go for awhile. Oh get those FBI 158 grain loads for it....
    Thanks. Just looked it up. I like the length and the weight. I don't like the limited number of rounds.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Don't over look the M&P line not just the Shields... Many here on the forums will back me when I say we like them...!!!! nice work on the spread sheet a PM will be sent. Thanks!

~Spec
    RandyatOBX likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I don't know what you ride, but I ride an R1, and to be honest I prefer a slim form factor over anything else when riding a sportbike. Not to mention that between gear and position, if I had to pull unexpectedly I don't want a bulkier firearm getting caught on anything.

While that might not be a wholly realistic worry, it matters to me and effects my choice when riding. To that end I actually prefer my Springfield 1911 over any other firearm. There's a few reasons for that:

While I love my PPS and PPQ, the PPS only holds 8+1 rounds, and the PPQ is bulkier (see above reasoning).
    If I only can carry 8 rounds, I might as well carry 8 rounds of 45.
    A 1911 is very slim compared to the multitude of doublestack 45 polymer guns, and on that note brings me to..
    Preferring an all metal gun to polymer for riding. In the event of a crash, I'd rather have a full metal frame and slide potentially hitting the road rather than a polymer.

I don't have any empirical data to back up my reasoning. I know in fit and feel my Springfield 1911 is slimmer than my buddy's 45 XD and my other friends 10mm Glock. I know it rides comfortably while I ride. A 1911 spare mag slips easily in pocket, and more easily than a PPS mag which have little prongs that fit into the mag well which catches on my pants. I don't have strength tests which shows how much kinetic impact a poly frame can take, but generally speaking I trust a metal frame will handle the abuse of sliding on pavement or abrupt impact better.

So, there's my two+ cents for you. As always, accuracy trumps capacity, so if you put the range time and drill, drill, drill, your worries about limited round count should be alleviated slightly.

ummm.....given a look at your Excel summary sheet?

I'd

Out of the firearms you mentioned, the only brand you mentioned that I own is the Glock and S&W (no Governor for me, thanks). I have shot the XD a good bit and am fond of it. What I carry on my bike is usually a S&W Mod 60 357 or a Ruger LC9. Both IWB in Fist holsters. Sometimes I add a LCP to my left jacket pocket. I have a riders back rest and do not have to worry about "flashing" the gun. I don't realy change anything when riding except for where I pocket carry while on the bike and when I get off the bike and go in some place where I do not want to wear my jacket I move to LCP to my left front trouser pocket.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I agree with Spec, you would be pleasantly surprised by the M&P line especially the compacts. The Shield is getting a bit overrated.

Compact 45s

I can see that you favor .45 caliber and a compact gun. I won't argue with that, as I favor that combination myself. I am not as concerned as you about capacity in the gun, however, feeling that 6+1 is adequate for me, plus a spare magazine. I have found that double stack 45s tend to be thicker than I like. Two of my favorite compact 45s are shown below, the Glock 36 and the Sig P245. I trust either one after a fair amount of range shooting with them. I will say that I don't trust the Taurus brand, which you seem to like.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Nice spreadsheet. How will you be carrying this gun while riding?

VIP Member
    Dude you are totally over thinking it with that spreadsheet. I suggest you use common sense and pick a few front runners to rent and shoot at the range.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Links