Need advice on purchasing handgun before proposed AWB

This is a discussion on Need advice on purchasing handgun before proposed AWB within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently own a full sized M&P 40 that I carry daily. My wife carries a M&P Shield 9mm. I reload 9mm and 40 S&W ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on purchasing handgun before proposed AWB

I currently own a full sized M&P 40 that I carry daily. My wife carries a M&P Shield 9mm. I reload 9mm and 40 S&W only. I just sold my bug (s&w 442) in order to replace it with a pocket sized 40 since I have plenty of ammo for it and do not want to bother loading 38 special ammunition also.

I would also like to purchase a full sized M&P 9mm so we can have a high cap 9mm and a high cap 40 in house.
    Ok, here's my dilemma, I personally would like to replace my daily bug (pocket gun) immediately being that I am used to having one in my pocket, but I keep having this nagging feeling that I need to get the full sized 9mm before the possible AWB and prices skyrocket and 17 round mags are not available for it anymore.

So what are your suggestions and does anyone think the availability/price of a full sized m&p 9 will even be an issue any time soon? I would really hate to see pricing on handguns like what just happened to AR15's.

I realize that nobody really knows but maybe some of you can shed some thoughts and ideas on the subject that I have not covered already. Ideally I would just get both immediately, but that will not be an option at this time.

Oh, and the next bug prospects are either the Kahr PM40 or Walther PPS 40.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I am finding right now that magazines are hard to find for most guns. Check online before purchasing.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I have heard great things about the Walthers, but have never owned one. I think Kahr has worked out a lot of the kinks so that may be your best bet in your current situation. Good luck.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Re: Need advice on purchasing handgun before proposed AWB

The walther pps might be a stretch for a bug that can fit in your pocket. It is doable but the grip especially with the extended mags might give you issues for a pocket gun. When I had my pps it was always iwb or owb. The thinness of it always made it really comfortable iwb. I ended up getting rid of mine because the extractor popped off twice while I owned it. Just couldn't trust it after the second time.

As far getting a full size 9mm first. I guess it would all depend on what your priorities are. Do you absolutely need a bug? Or do you feel that your primary carry is reliable enough to trust your life with? Those are things that only you can answer.

Personally I would be more worried about not being able to get standard capacity (what anti's call high capacity) mags for a gun after a awb ban than a specific type of gun in particular.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for the replies everyone. I will probably get the full sized M&P first and go with a new bug later on.

"Assuming" the proposed AWB on pistols is similar to the one they passed in the past:

Federal Assault Weapons Ban

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
    Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
    Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
    Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
    Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
    A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.
    Your M&P Pistol will not be considered an Assault Weapon. Just my two cents.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Get the M&P 9C.

You can get the grip extension and full size mag and still have 17 + 1 capacity.

This is what is in my lock box next to my bed when I am not carrying it.

edit: That said I don't think they have a prayer of passing anything that would eliminate such purchases you are discussing.

Do you guys think that magazines over 10 rounds will be banned (for semi auto pistols)?

My gut says it won't happen

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    Do you guys think that magazines over 10 rounds will be banned (for semi auto pistols)?
    Hopefully not, but "IF" they propose it on rifles.... I can't see them not proposing it on pistols as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    Everyone else seems to think that, given that it is hard to find standard capacity magazines over ten rounds for both pistols and rifles at the moment.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    Everyone else seems to think that, given that it is hard to find standard capacity magazines over ten rounds for both pistols and rifles at the moment.
    When someone screams "FIRE" they go a running. I bet the retailers are loving the business right now though.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think a flintlock pistol might be safe. After all, if it was good enough for our founding fathers...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

To heck with any proposed anything. You should already be doing what's best for you. Forget the BS now. Shouldn't force your hand into anything you might regret later.

I've owned both the Walther PPS and M&P Shield. The Shield actually replaced my PPS. I too had issues with the PPS that lead me to doubt it's reliability. Though possible, I would not consider the Shield, PPS or Kahr PM/CM series as pocket pistols. Take your wife's Shield and throw it (unloaded to test fit) in your pocket. If choosing to carry in pocket, be sure to get a pocket holster too.

Best bet is to just get the magazines you want now - if you can find them - and hope they do not incorporate semi-auto pistols, like the M&P series. I'd also consider the compact M&P since it will support the short mag and full size mag. You can even get the x-grip extension so the mag doesn't stick out. With full mag, the main difference will be barrel length.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links