Colt Officers .45- replacement?

This is a discussion on Colt Officers .45- replacement? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a late 80s Colt Officers 1911. It's my carry gun. Find out getting parts is kind of difficult now. Love that 1911! I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Colt Officers .45- replacement?

I have a late 80s Colt Officers 1911. It's my carry gun. Find out getting parts is kind of difficult now. Love that 1911! I shoot it better than any 1911 I own. What would be a good replacement? Probably should get something a bit lighter. Don't want a $2000 carry gun. Any suggestions?

I have the Kimber Ultra Raptor, .45ACP and absolutely love it. It's the same size as the Colt officers model I believe, so your holsters, etc will all work most likely. It's compact and easy to conceal, fun to shoot, and a damn fine carry pistol.

You have to shoot it in, as Kimber advises a minimum of 500 rounds before you trust it with your life, and I have experience with three of them, and that is vitally important. It comes so tight from the Kimber Custom shop, that you have to loosen it up gradually by firing it. A competent gun smith could smooth it out for you, but shooting it is fun, so that's what I did.

The Kimber finish is notoriously horrible, and for the life of me I don't understand this. Unless you buy a stainless pistol, you'll quickly be disappointed with the blued finish. I had mine treated with the "Black T" finish, by Wally Birdsong and Associates, just south of Jackson, MS. Their finish is outstanding, will NOT rust ever, and if it's good enough for our Navy SEAL teams, it's good enough for me. Paid just under $100 bucks to have the pistol and two mags treated a couple of years ago. This fine family business doesn't advertise, but you can find them by googling Wally Birdsong and associates. Real good people too.

Kimber bashers will tell you to buy a GLOCK, and there is nothing wrong with that choice either, but if you're used to a 1911, why switch now?

BTW, have you checked Midway or Brownells for your parts? I'd bet they have everything you need to keep that Officer's model humming for years to come. Good luck, and welcome to the forum. Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Stay with Colt

Since you like the Colt Officer's model so well, why not stick with Colt 1911s and get a Colt Defender, which is still in production? It should cost under $1,000, and you can find parts and holsters easily. I've had mine for 5 years and it has performed perfectly.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I really like my Colt New Agent. Same size as your Officers.

VIP Member
    If you want to stick with the 1911 pattern, a Colt Defender would be a good choice.

However, if, as you say, you want to go lighter. Try out the Glock 36. It will really surprise you.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    KBSR, that's the worst endorsement of a Kimber I've ever read.
    RoadRunner71 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I really like the STI Shadow. Alloy frame should lighten your load. A bit pricey, but it comes with night sights from the factory and it's way under $2k. I've been very happy with mine.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    KBSR, that's the worst endorsement of a Kimber I've ever read.
    Nothing but the truth Sir, as I know it. :)
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

If you shoot it well and trust it I'd stick with your OACP, springs and parts are readily available. I carry one off duty and have no plans to change.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

VIP Member
    You're right... it is impossible to find parts for those things. I feel as if you should sell it to me so I can ensure that nobody is stuck in a position where they need to get parts for it or have other problems with the gun. Lots of great options have been listed for you here, you shouldn't even miss it!!
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I'm sorry but I guess I'm missing the point. What parts are hard to get. 1911's are being built everyday. Where are they getting the parts.
    And besides how many of the model you have were built. I'll bet they made more than 3 of them. I bet you could find more than one that could be used for parts. I would venture a guess and say that with the number of great 1911 pistol smiths out there you could get that pistol repaired for the rest of your life time. And if you had a backup or 2. Then the thought just crossed my mind maybe you just want a new pistol to carry which having problems getting parts would help convince myself I needed a new some thing. Anyway just some thoughts I bet you wouldn't have a problem selling the one you have. Good luck with that.
    R
    kmagnuss likes this.
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Either the Colt Defender or a 3" Kimber are excellent choices. As KBSR said the black finish on Kimber fades pretty easily, so I would recommend the stainless or having the gun either cerakoted or use the black t finish.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

FWIW I just got rid of my 1911 for an HK45c. Can carry it cocked and locked with the safety on and it weighs a lot less.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

If you love it, you can shoot the snot out of it... just buy the parts you need for it. Hell, send it off to a reputable smith if you have to. Honestly, if you can't find parts for a 1911 you're not looking hard enough. I'm surprised walmart doesn't carry them.
    WC145 likes this.

IBTG19

What parts do you need? Do you really want to replace it?

Alloy frame, polymer frame - each would be lighter. There are sooo many choices...

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links