Charter arms undercover .38 special

This is a discussion on Charter arms undercover .38 special within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Acquired this a few years ago. Just want some info on it. I might keep it or possibly trade or sell it. Just don't know ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Charter arms undercover .38 special

Acquired this a few years ago. Just want some info on it. I might keep it or possibly trade or sell it. Just don't know a lot about it, and I'm sure some of you guys do . Good gun ? Worth?

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have a 1980 Charter Arms Undercover with wooden grip. It is just as accurate, and reliable as any of my higher priced wheel guns. I was fortunate to have picked this gun up that was NIB at an estate sale many years ago for $65.00 plus buyers fee and tax. It is not recommended to fire +P in this weapon.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Ex Member
    Charter makes a reliable, well made, light gun. I used one as my daily carry years ago.

Welcome Newman5. I have had a couple of the CA Undercovers. The first generation and the current ones are pretty good little revolvers. I have had to send one back to Charter Arms because the cylinder release mechanism wore out. I believe they replaced several parts including a small spring.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Good revolver +P rated, Local price new on my daughters ultra lite was 286 new a year 1/2 ago , 310 now. and I added a wolf hammer spring to help with the typical heavy DA trigger. Good shooter not the greastest fish but a solid handgun. I can tell you if you keep it and want the little 2 finger grips for better concealment you will not be pleased shooting +P loads. I could not change grips back to the ones on yours. If you got your for a deal keep it. Solid revolver

My dad bought one for my mom many years ago, brand new.

She carried it and rarely shot it. But it did get shot from time to time by my dad and my brothers and me to make sure it was reliable.

It had some mechanical issues (I think it was cylinder release, but don't recall for sure) and it went bye-bye.

Mom got a new Chief's Special shortly thereafter. I'd fire it a bit and see if you like it.........seems like you got it for a good price. If you don't like it or it fails you.........the Charter Undercover would stand for CU later.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Good revolver +P rated, Local price new on my daughters ultra lite was 286 new a year 1/2 ago , 310 now. and I added a wolf hammer spring to help with the typical heavy DA trigger. Good shooter not the greastest fish but a solid handgun. I can tell you if you keep it and want the little 2 finger grips for better concealment you will not be pleased shooting +P loads. I could not change grips back to the ones on yours. If you got your for a deal keep it. Solid revolver
    I have not a penny into it, got it when my grandfather passed away 5 years ago. No sentimental value either.

I've shot it, but it was a few years ago. Wasn't impressed or anything , right now it's just the "other" gun on my night stand.

I bought a pair not long ago . Brushed stainless +P rated . My wife carries one and I carry the other 24/7 . $304@ plus tax/transfer . Reliable , accurate , lifetime warranted . Factory grip is great . I installed Hip Hugger grips on mine for iwb carry . Grip is too small for my 9 1/2"x 5" paw . I'm going to make a custom grip of same style to fit my hand . Also painted front sight with fluorescent green nail polish for better front sight acquisition .
    CA has a good customer service phone with a live body that speaks English . Often times the owner's daughter or Nick himself .
    I would call them and ask if that older pistol will handle +P before shooting it in that revolver since it is older .

Keep it. A 38 snubby is a great little gun to have.
    45ACP4ever likes this.

No firsthand experience, but a friend has the .44 Special version and is a fan.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I used to have one and really regret letting it go. It performed great, was a great carry, just a nice friend to have around.

I had to get larger grips for it, and it was perfect after that. I was stupid for selling it.

The only reason I would consider getting rid of it, is because I want a G27. But I still might hold off and keep it. I just want opinions on this gun. So far a lot of good ones, keep em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman5 View Post
    I have not a penny into it, got it when my grandfather passed away 5 years ago. No sentimental value either.
    Since you haven't got anything invested in it, AND it has no sentimental value, can I have it???

Regards,
    Jim
    WINTEJER000 and 64zebra like this.

Keep it. Trade and resale value isn't that great, and you'll basically be giving away a decent little gun.

I have two vintage Undercover .38s just like it and they work fine.

With the original-style grips, they are VERY concealable. The larger rubber grips makes them more fun at the range, though. Solid little revolvers.
    Truckinbutch likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links