Getting a shooting start for 2013 - the H&K P30L - pics as usual

This is a discussion on Getting a shooting start for 2013 - the H&K P30L - pics as usual within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You may recall sometime ago, I did a post about the P30L. Well, for what ever reason, I moved on to other guns and this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Getting a shooting start for 2013 - the H&K P30L - pics as usual

Senior Moderator

Getting a shooting start for 2013 - the H&K P30L - pics as usual

You may recall sometime ago, I did a post about the P30L. Well, for what ever reason, I moved on to other guns and this morning, I decided for a change, to shoot something I hadn't shot in a while and picked the P30L.

I've always liked this gun; it's a bit pricey and the grip is almost too short for me, but it works pretty good. My gun the DA/SA trigger configuration. It has the unconventional mag releases which I love and think all mag releases should be like the H&K P30/USP. Others don't like it so well, but then what do they know anyway?

A lot has been posted, reported, and articled (ahhh - another new word!) so I'll not repeat and move on to the shooting. To be honest, I really wasn't expecting much more than decent accuracy, but was I every surprised - it was indecently accurate - wait is that right??? If it's not decently accurate, doesn't that just leave indecently accurate???

I shoot two standard drills almost every time I shoot just to confirm where I am, and then I move on to other drills. The two drills include both slow fire for accuracy and rapid fire - the latter, pretty much accuracy at speed. All are shot in a two-hand grip, off hand. The nice thing about the two drills is, together they require exactly 50 rounds - one box of ammo. I mostly shoot the rapid fire at 5 yards, and occasionally at 7 yards. All of these were at 5 yards.

I usually shoot the slow fire drill first. That consists of 20 rounds: four rounds each at 3, 5, 7, 10, & 15 yards. This is slow, deliberate, how-accurately-can-I-shoot shots. After that comes 30 rounds of rapid fire. I shoot this 30 rounds in volleys of 5 shots each. I shoot three volleys on one three inch dot and three volleys on a second dot.

So here's today's results:
    This is the first target; I shot it SA. I liked the group so well that I opted not to shoot anything else on this target. That's a two inch group:

The rapid fire part of the drill is on the next target shown below - the 3" orange dots at the shoulders. The group in the center of the target is the slow fire of the second drill - that's a 1-3/8" group!

The head shot is a 5 shot version of the slow fire drill except all shots were fired DA instead of SA. I'm not sure I can blame the larger group entirely on the DA trigger - I may have lost some focus by the time I shot that one. It's hard, at least for me, to stay focused sharply enough to do accurate slow fire, and I feel mental fatigue in short order.

Here's a closeup of the center group of that last target:

The P30L surprised me; I surely was not expecting that kind of accuracy - supreme reliability yes. The SA trigger is pretty nice, although I may have done a little work on it, I just can't remember. The DA isn't too bad, after all it is a DA trigger. It stacks a bit right before break.

The biggest thing I noticed was the reset. I don't want to over-state this, but it has a long reset. It gave me a bit if trouble in rapid fire. I didn't short stroke it, but I was very conscious of achieving reset and it slowed me down a bit. I think one would pretty quickly adjust to that and time-wise it would probably be insignificant. It's just that right now I'm acclimated to 1911 resets and Glocks with Ghost Rocket connectors that have been fitted with a Dave Spaulding cut for a short reset.

Oh, the luminescent sights - I like'em. They shoot pretty good don't they?
    NONAME762 likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good shooting Tangle! My P30L was great until it came down to a sub par trigger even after a 300.00 Bruce Gray trigger job. I will take a Sig SRT in DA/SA any day of the week with regards to trigger.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Good shooting Tangle! My P30L was great until it came down to a sub par trigger even after a 300.00 Bruce Gray trigger job. I will take a Sig SRT in DA/SA any day of the week with regards to trigger.
    Man, that's not good.

My trigger, DA and SA isn't all that bad; I mean DAs are DAs, but....

Just curious, was your P30L a DA/SA or LEM?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Administrator
    Stop it Tangle. I've been wanting a P30 for awhile, but have been resisting due to HK prices. You're not helping matters.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator

Re: Getting a shooting start for 2013 - the H&K P30L - pics as usual

Good shootin' !

I really, really like my P30LS light LEM....don't for for the luminous sights but that's just me.

My gun with Gray Guns trigger job is pretty darn nice. Reset is pretty close to a Glock.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Nice shooting Tangle. My 9mm P30 L V3 has an excellent DA/SA trigger that has smoothed out after much range time.

It's a great pistol, balances well points naturally and can be configured to fit almost any hand. I'm very fond of it.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Our local PD uses HK pistols - not sure of the exact model. No wonder our taxes are so darn high.
    aus71383 and MJB_17 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

That is a sweet gun!

Austin

I guess I'll resurrect this thread....I just bought a P30LS today. I'd been eyeballing them for a while, and when I walked into an LGS this afternoon they had one on display. As soon as I picked it up, I knew I was in trouble.

I'm looking forward to my test drive at the range tomorrow. I tend to run my HK's as if they were SAO guns, so I don't expect to have any complaints about the long DA trigger pull - and I'm no stranger to longer trigger resets (HK45c and USPc).

And I'll resurrect it again.

I took it to the range last week, and was disappointed. It FTE'd two or three times per mag with the Remington 115gr FMJ I was feeding. I had failed to do my homework, and assumed that it would be like every other HK that I own, and eat ANYTHING, ANYTIME. Turns out that the P30L's recoil spring benefits from some break-in before you start t ofire relatively light loads....so I picked up 1000 rounds of 147gr RN today, and I plan on heading to the range again tomorrow. More to follow.

What I will say is that at any range from 7 yards to 18 yards, that P30L punches tighter groups than anything else I own. I don't think that it's inherently much more accurate than my other pistols - just that it has a longer sight radius and is easier to shoot well.

Just got back from the range. 200 rounds of 147 grain did the trick - it ran flawlessly with the 147 grain, and then flawlessly again with the 115 grain remanufactured FMJ that I fed it at the end of the session.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Our local PD uses HK pistols - not sure of the exact model. No wonder our taxes are so darn high.
    The one thing that the Highland and University Park Police don't have! They carry Glocks, maybe with the opening of W's library they will get some DHS grant and buy two for every officer, you know a P2000 for duty and a P2000SK for backup.

I joke about this because this is one of the richest, if not the richest, municipality in TX. They are so ridiculously well equipped it is funny, they drive brand new Tahoes with a Rock River AR and an 870 in a vertical rack, EoTechs on the ARs and some red dot on the 870s, I was driving once am pretty sure that I saw a patrol unit with a suppressor on the AR in the rack...

The patrol vehicles look like whomever ordered them took the Chevy fleet sales accessory catalog and said "we'll take one of everything"...its is amusing since most of the crime they encounter is limited to drunk SMU kids, drunk businessmen, drunk/sedated trophy wives, occasional burglars (possibly drunk), oh and the guy who climbed up the SMU crane last Memorial Day.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    I guess I'll resurrect this thread....I just bought a P30LS today. I'd been eyeballing them for a while, and when I walked into an LGS this afternoon they had one on display. As soon as I picked it up, I knew I was in trouble.

I'm looking forward to my test drive at the range tomorrow. I tend to run my HK's as if they were SAO guns, so I don't expect to have any complaints about the long DA trigger pull - and I'm no stranger to longer trigger resets (HK45c and USPc).
    Must be just a range gun if you run it only in SAO? If you decide to actually carry it, let me help you with your next purchase.

USP / HK45 / P30 :: Grayguns by Bruce Gray

I actually run most of my carry guns SAO - I have a USP9c and an HK45c that handle most of my concealed carry duties. I have not yet carried the P30L - nor did I buy with the intention of carrying it...but with the right holster, I don't see why I couldn't. I actually have a P30L body on order so that I have the option of carrying it in a CompTac Minotaur. I bought it primarily as a range and nightstand gun - but I'll probably carry it occasionally during the winter months just because I can.

And yes - I like the trigger right out of the box, but I can definitely see where a shorter reset would be a huge benefit.

I'm also thinking that the my 45c and my P30L are going to need upgraded sights. I may consider fiber-optics on the P30L, but I'm honestly leaning towards tritium sights. I like the TruDots on my USP9c...but there's a voice in my head telling that I should pick one of two options, and then put them on all of my pistols - either Heine Straight 8's, or XS Sights Big dots. Any thoughts?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    I actually run most of my carry guns SAO - I have a USP9c and an HK45c that handle most of my concealed carry duties. I have not yet carried the P30L - nor did I buy with the intention of carrying it...but with the right holster, I don't see why I couldn't. I actually have a P30L body on order so that I have the option of carrying it in a CompTac Minotaur. I bought it primarily as a range and nightstand gun - but I'll probably carry it occasionally during the winter months just because I can.

And yes - I like the trigger right out of the box, but I can definitely see where a shorter reset would be a huge benefit.

I'm also thinking that the my 45c and my P30L are going to need upgraded sights. I may consider fiber-optics on the P30L, but I'm honestly leaning towards tritium sights. I like the TruDots on my USP9c...but there's a voice in my head telling that I should pick one of two options, and then put them on all of my pistols - either Heine Straight 8's, or XS Sights Big dots. Any thoughts?
    I assume you must have the version with the thumb safety to carry SAO? As far as the trigger, it's all retaliative as some people are not very critical of triggers as others are like myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links