Desert Eagle 44Mag for carry?

This is a discussion on Desert Eagle 44Mag for carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by msgt/ret I would not recommend a ThunderCarry. Actually, that has me thinking about the potential......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Desert Eagle 44Mag for carry?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I would not recommend a ThunderCarry.
    Actually, that has me thinking about the potential...
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

2. Remove Ads

Ultimate defense gun. You wouldnt have to fire a shot. Just pull that monster and the bad guys will p*ss down there leg and run.
    JDavisArk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    Tell me what you'd think about that.
    Works great on Buffalo or Rhinos.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    well, i think they weigh around 75-80 ounces unloaded. the SW model 29 is a lot less than that i believe. so, it is a very heavy gun, and very large to conceal except when heavy clothing is appropriate. i couldn't begin to do it. it certainly has the intimidation factor going for it.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

72.4 oz!!! (Had to look up this DE stuff, not too familiar). That's a heavy beast, but you'll never find me dismissing someone's carry choice based on size/capacity/cartridge. Carry whatcha got. Heck, I had to carry my youngest (colicky) son for 8 hours a day for 4 months straight, and he never weighed less than 10 lbs, lol! If women across the world can do that on a daily basis, with only a scrap of fabric to tie their babies to themselves, certainly some little 5lb gun should feel like nothing carried in a good rig.

My husband teases me, but any handgun I purchase has a holster for it (big, small, even the Ruger Mark III). I've even been looking for a scabbard for the shotgun, just because I can (even though I probably won't, lol). I like options.
    aus71383 likes this.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I had a cop friend who happened on an armed robbery once: he pulled out his hand cannon (either Dirty Harry's gun or one slightly bigger) and yelled, "Police! Drop it!" The bad guy said as soon as he saw the weapon he didn't need the shout... evidently he was pretty cooperative, pretty quickly.

Weight and size seems awkward; if you're asking you obviously have thought that through. If you have the weapon already, go for it! If you are contemplating a purchase, you might even try getting a 80 oz chunk of steel and strap it to yourself in rough approximation of your carry position. Wear it for a day or two before you make your decision (or, for me, I would probably make a decision in about two minutes).

Wishing you the best!

Tell me what you'd think about that.
    That sounds like something my 11 year old would think of. If you really want to conceal carry a .44mag there are better ways of doing it.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I honestly don't see an upside. 99% of the time, I think that a .50 ae is just as scary as a .380 when it's being brandished. Or, at least, that's what I'd imagine. People are either scared, or not scared, of you holding a gun and a 1911 is already of terrifying proportions to people with sense.

The money is better spent doing many other things & I'd prefer to have more rounds with less power. I'd suspect that the accuracy would just not be worth it, never mind the cost.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Choices are kind of limited when it comes to gold plated handguns..

All kidding aside, unless you want to carry it just to say you did I wouldn't want to use it as a personal defense gun. The safety is stiff and next to impossible to use with your hands on the grips so you have to take a hand off just to operate the safety. Chambering a round requires a really firm hand grip with both hands (sweaty palms and you could easily lose your grip). The way you hold the gun is unique to the gun, if you have your hand under the magazine it will jam or not feed properly. Its easy to forget that at a shooting range, wouldn't want to risk that happening in a situation where your life depends on it. If you shoot it with anything less than a very solid grip, it won't feed the next round properly and will not fire.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGreg View Post
    Choices are kind of limited when it comes to gold plated handguns..
    - If I'm going to be carrying 70 oz. of gold plated guns, the Desert Eagle wouldn't be my first choice.

1911_8.jpg
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I humped mount MF back in 1982 with a full pack of C-Rats in the rain during RFTD USMC to the firing line. You let me know just how new you think I am....then we'll go all over it again. I'm just asking from the men. I'll end up doing what I please in the end. Just testing the waters.
    You watch the movies?
    Tell you what.....last Marine got shot and killed during a live fire exercise was when I was crawling through the mud under barbed wire and 9 feet away. I can't tell anyone not to stand up, but I can tell them when not to. If they don't heed my advice....it's their own fault.
    1982, humping mount MF, puts you at 48 years old at minimum unless you had parent waiver,so maybe 46,47.that said, you want to carry such a heavy piece day to day?
    JDavisArk likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Ultimate defense gun. You wouldnt have to fire a shot. Just pull that monster and the bad guys will p*ss down there leg and run.
    I never expect them to run......just simply go down for good. I'm perfectly capable of cleaning up the carpet if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    1982, humping mount MF, puts you at 48 years old at minimum unless you had parent waiver,so maybe 46,47.that said, you want to carry such a heavy piece day to day?
    You got me down to the minute and the day almost.
    I can still do a lot of things since they were drilled into me at an early age. I surprise myself sometimes.

If it's what you shoot well, go for it.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

I can't believe it would be easy to conceal on anybody... Seems like overkill.
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

I'm getting one of the best shoulder holsters for it this next week. I'm sure a lot of you don't know the accuracy this pistol is capable of with a 6 inch barrel in 44mag out to 50 yds. Granted.......it won't be a t-shirt and jeans carry with the rig,but I figure more than effective here in the winter months. I also figure the caliber debate for carry becomes a non-issue with the 44 mag.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links