round vs square butt grip help

This is a discussion on round vs square butt grip help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings, I'm looking for some opinions or experiance with replacement grips for a s&w round butt k-frame. I've noticed that when I fire my model ...

Thread: round vs square butt grip help

round vs square butt grip help

Greetings,

I'm looking for some opinions or experiance with replacement grips for a s&w round butt k-frame.
    I've noticed that when I fire my model 13 and model 36, the webbing between my thumb and trigger finger gets bruised up (no broken skin yet!). With the 36, it takes awhile (about 100 rounds or so) for me to notice. For the 13, the 357 loads really beat up the webbing, I usually feel it within the first few cylinders (then it goes numb...). I've noticed with my square butt revolvers, I've never experianced this. I've shot about 200 rounds of +P in a sitting through my model 10 with no ill affects, and the same with my model 1917.
    Is there a different way one is to hold a round butt revolver? I keep the web of my hand centered and high up on the backstrap, and I grip as tight as I can, same as I do with the square butt pieces. I have magna's on all my pieces, although I have noticed that the square butt (the model 10 and 1917), the magna's are quite thick, while on the 36 and 13, they are a bit slimmer.
    Is my problem due to poor form, or do I need a thicker set of grips on the round butt pieces? My hands are rather long (not real beefy, just thin with long fingers). I was thinking about picking up a pair of target grips for the 13, or maybe the pachmayer grips. Would the tyler grip help?
    I currently use the model 10 for carry, and would like to upgrade to the 13. Does anyone have any experiance with this or could recommend some grips suitable for carry, or tell me a way to correct my grip? Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,
    Peter Maenner

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    One suggestion:

Research them on your own as I have only just heard of these. I have had no past dealings w/ the company.

Grips to convert S&W Round Butt To Square Butt. CLICK HERE
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Have you tried adding Tyler T-Grips?

They filled in the grip nicely for my J-Frame

www.t-grips.com

Hogue Bantam grips

I have one K frame revolver with round butt, a S&W model 66 with 2.5 inch barrel. I put Hogue Bantam grips on the gun and like them very much. I have not had any problems with hand numbness as you describe, even when shooting magnums in the gun. (Although I generally practice with .38 specials instead of magnums, to preserve the gun.) The Bantam grips are also perfect for carry of the gun, as they are quite compact, do not grab at the cover garment, yet give me a full 3 finger grip. They are not as pretty as wood grips, but are fairly cheap, costing about $15 or $18 online.

My S&W 66 with Hogue Bantam grips

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    Round butt S&Ws are better suited for Combat Shooting. The Round Butt with the proper grips "rides the recoil" and fits the hand better than the square butt guns. JM$.02worth.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Greetings,

Thanks for the info! As for the round butt to square buttt conversion grips, I would like to keep it as a round butt. I feel the round butt is much easier to conceal than the square butt (at least on my body!). I think it is a matter of the grips on my round butt pieces being too slim. I checked out the bantam and the tyler t-grip. Both are inexpensive compared to buying a set of target grips, I'll try both and see what works best for me. Thanks again for the tips!

Sincerely,
    Peter Maenner

I must have weird hands I had Pat Grashorn (Grashorngrips) make service style grips for my Model 10 and liked them so much he is making me a set for my Model 60. I have tried every grip style made rubber, wood, oversize, boot ect and the service style just seem to work better for me

Links