Would you prefer a .22LR or a .25 ACP?

This is a discussion on Would you prefer a .22LR or a .25 ACP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not that I am likely to carry this weapon.. but I'm trying to buy a few more semi-auto guns over the next week or two ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Would you prefer a .22LR or a .25 ACP?

Not that I am likely to carry this weapon.. but I'm trying to buy a few more semi-auto guns over the next week or two just in case some ridiculous laws get passed. I've always sort of wanted one of those el-cheapo Phoenix Arms guns that you can get for like $125. For some reason I was thinking they were all .25ACP, but I realized when looking online today that they come in both calibers. Now I'm scratching my head as to which is better. Since it is the same gun, only different caliber, I'm trying to make a decision. I realize the .22LR ammo is much cheaper, but I doubt I'll be putting hundreds of rounds through it at the range, so the price isn't really that important. On the same token, I probably won't be carrying it much (if ever) as a self-defense weapon so reliability isn't really all that important either. So I'm pretty much back at square one. What are people's opinion between the two calibers?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I would go with .22LR. Since it will also be able to used in rifles, that might prove useful to you down the road. .22LR rifles are very common and can be used for many things from target practice to small game hunting. might be something to consider.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

.22lr all day long...

And twice on Sunday!!!

BugDude and Rock and Glock like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    22LR
    CLASS3NH and Rock and Glock like this.

I'd go with a .25 (because it's centerfire rather than rim fire) if I really needed it. I would go with .22 if I planned to shoot it a lot since the .22 is so much cheaper.

And not that you asked, but I would rather buy 150 rounds of 9mm than waste $125 on a cheap .25.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    22LR without a doubt.
    Rock and Glock and CLASS3NH like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Im with Brad on this, buy ammo, rather than a cheap handgun. But between the two, for strictly handgun purposes, I would probably go for the .25. But the .22 works in both handgun/rifle. So given the OP, I would say .22, because any ammo you buy is also usable in a rifle.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

22lr for some strange reason I have no use for a 25. I own several 22s and the cost of ammo just brings me back to the good ole 22. I also have a 32 and a 380 so the 25 just doesnt do it for me.

I'd go with the .22 also.

I have a cheap .25 (first gun I ever bought) and it is a jam-o-matic.

Not that they all are, but I have fired several differnt .25s over the years and none of them impressed me very much. .22 makes more sense to me anyway..........but as others have said, I'd avoid a "cheap" gun.

Even if its just for fun at the range, it'll become very frustrating (not much fun) if it doesn't cycle properly. Good luck with your decision.

When I was looking for a cheap .22, strictly for fun, I decided I wanted a revolver - even if it is just for fun, dealing with jams just isn't fun.

I was in no hurry, but one day I found a gem in the rough at a local gun store - an old Iver Johnson "Sealed 8" target revolver. You can either load/unload one at a time (the cylinder does not swing out) or you can remove the cylinder pin and take the cylinder out to load/unload. Best part is it was only $150.

The sights are not the best, but it is reliable, and crazy fun to shoot. The loading/unloading method forces you to slow down and concentrate on the fundamentals - instead of just burning through ammo. And if you really want to practice your trigger squeeze - try shooting it in DA mode.

I'd say keep your eye out for a nice used .22 revolver, and have fun with it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

22lr

I too vote for the 22lr.

Administrator
    22, no question about it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    .22 lr and never look back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links