Got it narrowd down to three, but unsure of caliber.

This is a discussion on Got it narrowd down to three, but unsure of caliber. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so I have been looking at a few different guns for concealment. My choices so far are Springfield XD, Glock, and a Ruger SR. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Got it narrowd down to three, but unsure of caliber.

Got it narrowd down to three, but unsure of caliber.

OK, so I have been looking at a few different guns for concealment. My choices so far are Springfield XD, Glock, and a Ruger SR. What are your thoughts on each one. I have shot before. I own a SIG Sauer P229 .40. It is a full size, my problem with this is that it is to big to carry. Don't get me wrong I do like it but I am looking for something that is subcompact. What do you think of those other three choices, Which would you rather purchase.

Also I am not sure of what caliber to go with. Either a 9mm or a .40. I have never shot a 9, I am not really worried about recoil. As long as it doesn't throw me way of on my aim. I am gun shopping i just got rid of a gun so I can purchase another one. Thank you for your thoughts and help with this. Oh one more more thing, all three of them feel good in my hand they are pretty comfortable. This is what is also throwing me off on my decision.

Thank you,

Koby

2. Remove Ads

I have a Glock 23. I also have my eye on the P229 but all you have mentioned I would purchase except the Ruger. There is nothing wrong with it it is an excellent weapon but I prefer the other two just my opinion.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Ive never shot a glock. So I cant comment on that one. But the other two Ive shot both of those. And outta the two I like the xd I have that one. My dad had the ruger and it was a good gun but to me it was snappier in recoil compared to the xd. And there about the same size if you go compact. Try the three you mention if you can to see wich you might like the best. Imho Id go with the xd but thats just me. Good luck in your quest. Btw these were 9mms

Springfield XD 40 SUBCOMPACT is my everyday carry. I have owned two glocks a 33 and 27 they eventually got traded for both my Springfields a 357 Sig service and the 40 compact. There are plenty of people here that own either or. After shooting the XDs I''ll never go back to glock. I have shot the Ruger SRC 9 it is my wife's everyday carry, don't like it near as well as my XDs.

Are you talking about a compact or full size pistol?

I would go with a glock 19 out of the three you chose. 9mm is easier to control. Accuracy=confidence.
    But I just picked up a SW shield and it's a great carry gun. Very slim and conceable.

I think the xd was a fad until the M&P came out. If you want a full size the M&P9 is very hard to beat. Its way more comfortable than all the above mentioned and shoots the lights out.
    Philly Boy and ArmedWebGuy like this.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Can't stand either the XD or Ruger. For me it would be a Glock 19 or a Sig 226.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I would go with the Glock, I'm not saying Glock because I'm a glock lover or anything. I'v had Kimber (now gone), a Browning, M&P (now gone) and now its Glock for me. I would say G 19 but thats just my .02 cents.

Agreed. Either a G19 or 226 is pretty much impossible to beat.
    glocknjeep likes this.

None of them (Glock, Ruger, or XD) are bad guns. However, the Ruger and XD have superfluous (IMO) manual safeties, so I'd pick the Glock out of that bunch.

You didn't mention Sig (e.g., P226), but that would be my second choice. I prefer the consistent trigger pull of the Glock, however. Since you already have a Sig, it might be your first choice.

As for caliber, you already have a .40, so I'd go with 9mm.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

look at Walther PPS 9mm....you'll be glad you did.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

My EDC is the Ruger sr40c and I really like it. Easy to shoot, conceal and is dead on.

SiG is my first choice, but the price of them I have to make them my second choice. I love my Sig. It is so hard. to decide. I like the idea of going with a 9mm, I was thinking about the idea of getting the same caliber just because I do have a .40 but I am kind of considering a 9mm. To many choices out there.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd have to toss my vote toward the Glock, probably the 19, or the 26 if smaller is better for you.
    glocknjeep likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you want a smaller gun, forget the 9mm and the .40. Look at Bersa Thunder 380. These little guns are all steel, dependable, accurate and very easy to shoot. People will argue caliber till the cows come home. There's nothing wrong with .380. It a good, reliable round that has been around many years.
    Philly Boy likes this.

I have a SR9C. Great shooter and feels great in the hand. Nice trigger, ambi safety and nice sights....oh adjustable too! Weighs under 24 oz. carry it a lot. My other is a Steel Officers in .45. It weighs a ton. I am thinking of getting the. SR40C.
    Ghost1958 and tomtrik like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links