Kimber 3" or 4"?????

This is a discussion on Kimber 3" or 4"????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Pro CDP II and my wife has an Ultra CDP II. Both have external extractors and both work well. The 3" isn't ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber 3" or 4"?????

I have a Pro CDP II and my wife has an Ultra CDP II. Both have external extractors and both work well. The 3" isn't much more concealable in my opinion. It seems to be the hammer and the adjacent portions of the gun which print, not the extra inch of barrel. Therefore, I opted for the 4". For times when I can't conceal the Kimber, I opt for an XD subcompact. That seems to print less than the similar sized Ultra. My wife however, wouldn't trade the Ultra for the world. She carries it in a fanny pack and swears by it.

2. Remove Ads

I Have Both...

the Pro CDP II, and the Ultra CDP II. Both are great guns and shoot about the same. I disagree with some of the others...the Ultra is easier to conceal with my body type (round is a type). Shorter barrel and shorter grip...it DOES conceal a little better...OMO...your's may differ.

Both of my Kimber's work well, and did so right out of the box. I carry either my Ultra with me, but sometimes I take the Glock-36 for a ride instead...it also hides nicely!

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

(round is a type)

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I carry an Ultra Carry II everyday and love it. I have learned to shoot it well and feel very comfortable. BUT the longer sight radius on a 4" makes a difference, and accuracy on follow up shots seem easier. I think I would go with the "pro" line (4 inch range), if you can conceal it and are comfortable carrying it daily.
    just my .02
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Thanks to all for the advice and thoughts. I bought a compact CDPII with houge grips and night sights. I love it!!!!
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

I have had two 3" Kimbers. An Eclipse and a CDP. The Eclipse was a hunk of crap that after 2 slide swaps still wouldn't run right. Kimber replaced it with the CDP and I love the CDP. Took about 500 rds to break in but now has been 100% since. I love it. It will feed anything and it is extremely accurate.
    Last edited by yellowv; October 18th, 2006 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    I have had two 3" Kimbers. An Eclipse and a CDP. The Eclipse was a hunk of crap that after 2 slide swaps still wouldn't run right. Kimber replaced it with the CDP and I love the CDP. Took about 500 rds to break in but now has been 100% since. I love it. It will feed anything and it is extremely accurate.
    same gun i got today. the only difference is mine has hogue grips on it. i love it....
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

3" For Me

I have the 3" Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, and its turned
    into my everyday CCW piece; as its a great pistol, that I trust my
    life too~!

Yellowv, Sorry to hear about your Eclipse. I have one in a 4" and have put about 700 rounds through her with no problems.

I have shoot both 3" and 4". I have big hands so I like the 4' inch better.

I wish you luck in your search.

Brian

Senior Moderator
    I have a three inch Stainless Ultra Carry in .40.

Because I'm very little I need a very little gun to conceal. My Kimber is just about perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work View Post
    IMy closest friend works in the gun department of a large nationwide retailer. They find that 35 to 45 percent of the new Kimbers they sell are brought back in for warranty work. They say the quality control is terrible and most of the gun guys in that store wouldn't buy a Kimber come he11 or high water. Too bad that a Great Gun Company gets so greedy that they let their quality control go down the toliet.
    Jungle Work
    Every day carry for me is a Kimber Ultra CDP II, which I purchased new last year. Reliable, comfortable and accurate. I've spoken to several friends of mine who sell and gun shows and at brick & mortar storefronts and they've not had anywhere near the warranty returns that JungleWork describes. They had a few more than usual during the external extractor experiment, but certainly nothing remotely in the neighborhood of 35-45%. If that number is in fact accurate, it sounds like quite an anomaly, compared to the rest of the world. If the number is not accurate, it sounds like someone has an axe to grind.

My Kimbers:
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

i have two 3" UC in .40 and .45 and love them both. here is a picture of my .40

My Home Is Protected BY
    Mossberg and Kimber
    The People who Take a Bite out of Crime

1911 Ultra Carry .45 .40 and 9mm
    Mossy 590 12G

Hawaii, South Korea, North Carolina, or Guam...or deployed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randal16-1 View Post
    Yellowv, Sorry to hear about your Eclipse. I have one in a 4" and have put about 700 rounds through her with no problems.

I have shoot both 3" and 4". I have big hands so I like the 4' inch better.

I wish you luck in your search.

Brian
    Do you have the 4" Eclipse Pro II with the steel slide?

I just bought that and am wondering how it shoots and conceals. I'll be using an Andrews Custom Leather MacDanial II IWB holster with a 1.5" Beltman belt.

Even though I just bought it I won't see it for about a month as I'm in Korea for the time being....

Thanks.

I just thought I would throw in my .02 here. I have a 5 inch new Raptor II and I love it. I broke mine in and it hasn't had a stutter or a problem after the break in period. Its accurate as all heck and is smooth and the recoil is must easier than anything else I have (well, other than my Walther P22 - but you can guess why). It dissapears nicely and its a beauty of a weapon. I have loved it sense I picked it up and I measure everything else by it.

I recently bought an Ultra Carry II with CT laser grips & Meprolights. Yesterday was my first range session and it was very disappointing. Out of 30 mags shot, I had 25 rounds FTF. Out of 150 rounds, that is 25 FTF or 17%. In the gun's defense, I did not field strip, clean and lube before going to the range like the manual says (found this out after the fact). So, I came home last night and did so. I'll give another report of the next range time. Also, I've heard that limp wristing can cause this problem. I really don't think I was doing that but I was trying out a new grip so it is possible. I can see this gun will be very easy to conceal. With carpenter jeans on I can drop it in my front pocket with no printing whatsoever.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links