Kimber 3" or 4"?????

This is a discussion on Kimber 3" or 4"????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am getting a Kimber .45. I was just wanting some advice on which one shoots the best. I heard they shoot and feel the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber 3" or 4"?????

Kimber 3" or 4"?????

I am getting a Kimber .45. I was just wanting some advice on which one shoots the best. I heard they shoot and feel the same. Give your opinions please. Thanks in advance.

Andrew
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by afeazell21 View Post
    I am getting a Kimber .45. I was just wanting some advice on which one shoots the best. I heard they shoot and feel the same. Give your opinions please. Thanks in advance.

Andrew
    Andrew sorry I can't be much help here I've only ever had 5" 1911's to include my current Kimber. However I do know a law enforcement detective that carries a 3" Kimber and he loves and swears by it. He has said many times that he wouldn't carry anything else.

I have the Pro Carry II 4in and love it. It's the alloy frame with the full size grip. I like the full size grip because I hate my little finger hanging under the magazine. Plus it gives me better control of the gun when firing. The alloy frame makes it a breeze to carry all day. The bull barrel on the Pro Carry adds enought weight on the front end to help with muzzel rise and recoil is very manageable. Plus topped off I have 9 rounds of 45 ACP. The 4in also provides a slightly longer sight radius which may or may not be usefull, it is for me. The balance of the 4in guns is excellent. I have no trouble concealing the full size grip, it's just not an issue. I'm 5' 9" 250lbs and carry IWB. Mine has 1800 rds thru it with no malfunctions other than magazines. Cured those problems with Wilson 47D mags. YMMV
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

I like the four inch............

I have shot the Kimber Ultra and Colt Defender (both 3 inchers) and they were OK.....
    But the four(4.24) inchers are alittle easier to handle......
    If you carry IWB, that extra inch is not a problem.
    I carry a Colt CCO everyday...'tis my favorite. Kimber makes a similar version called the Compact. Officer's sized frame, commander length slide. Nice feel and balance. Less to go wrong with it too.
    I have played with and owned all the 1911 barrel lengths...but I like the CCO size the best for carry.
    Last edited by jercamp45; October 17th, 2006 at 04:29 AM. Reason: add pic

You guys are lucky.
    If I go to a gun show and there is a kimber on site. I cannot even handle one. Because I live in the communist state of taxachuttes.
    Its not on the approved gun list.

Some tradeoffs

Quote Originally Posted by afeazell21 View Post
    I am getting a Kimber .45. I was just wanting some advice on which one (3" or 4") shoots the best. I heard they shoot and feel the same.
    I have a 4 inch Kimber Pro CDP and a 3 inch Colt Defender, which is similar to the Kimber Ultra. Each has strong points, so your choice depends on what features you value the most. The strong points of the 4 inch Kimber are:

1. Longer barrel gives more muzzle velocity so your ammo is slightly more effective - 4 inch gives about 6% more velocity than 3 inch.

2. Magazine holds one more round (8 vs. 7) in the 4 inch gun which has regular "government" 1911 grip.

3. If your hands are large the government grip may fit you better.

4. The 4 inch gun (with aluminum frame) weighs about 3 ounces more than the 3 inch gun (28 oz. vs. 25 oz.) so felt recoil is slightly less.

5. Some will contend the 4 inch gun is slightly more reliable than the 3 inch, but I have personally found both of my guns to be reliable.

The 3 inch gun has the advantage of being more easily concealed. The extra inch on slide length and one half inch on grip length does make a difference. The 3 inch gun is less likely to "print" on your cover garment, will fit in an ankle holster, and the barrel does not extend as far below the belt when holstered, so is less likely to "peek" in OWB carry.

Having both barrel lengths and holsters for each, I will tend to use the shorter gun when concealment is more difficult because of clothing or weather, and the longer gun in cooler weather when I am wearing more clothing.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    You did not say the application for this weapon so I will assume it is for CC.

"shoots the best." = I own 2,UC CDP II's so I'm a little prejudicial. I have shot the 4 and 5 inchers also.

I would say for CC,without the use of +P loads,get yourself a 3" Kimber. Pay the extra $ for the Ultra Carry. It will have the added features that you will want or eventually want,in a CC weapon anyway. Plan to buy Wilson mags or at least the Wilson guts as a replacement. Make sure that you buy a weapon with the internal extractor. All the newer Kimbers have this feature now. Don't let the salesman talk you into one of the external extractor model's for the "good deal price of" $___.

Prepare to put 300-400rds thru it before you carry it. Any cheap(brass cased) ammo will do. Choose carry ammo of the hot(er) but non +P loadings. These will be more manageable in the 3" or the 4" weapons. This, for the double and triple taps. If you are a "shoot one and look" kinda person,any +P will do.

Take a very close look at the specs of the 3 and the 4 inch guns. To me,if I didn't want to carry a 3" I'd go to 5". The 3" is very easy to conceal/carry.

Do a F&B on ANY weapon that you choose. Kimber or otherwise. This is very important.

With the proper F&B,the proper mags,and the "correct" extractor,your weapon WILL(!) shoot.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. You will have no wrong choice cuz this weapon is for you.---------
    Last edited by RSSZ; October 17th, 2006 at 10:14 AM. Reason: sp.

I have the KImber CDP in the 4" and a Colt Defender in the 3" gun. Both shoot very well, and are very reliable. The Ultra CDP is a great chioce as well. My guns like the 230Gr JHP Federal Premium ammo, as well as the Gold Dots. The defender is a bit more controlable with the Hoague rubber grips on it, but the Kimber 4" (as in my avitar) shoots and hides just as well.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by whitetrashfarm View Post
    You guys are lucky.
    If I go to a gun show and there is a kimber on site. I cannot even handle one. Because I live in the communist state of taxachuttes.
    Its not on the approved gun list.
    <whispering> time for a change in Govt this fall... . Hope you guys can accomplish it. I know you don't have much to pick from but Christy M might be the best of the bunch. He might get the ball rolling ......Either that, or come to NH
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I sure can't speak about a Kimber 4 inch because I have never fired one. I do own a Kimber Tactical Ultra II 3 inch and use it for my daily carry. Even with the magwell that comes on the tactical version, concealment is never a problem. I use a variety of holsters from paddle to OWB pancake style and a shoulder holster, the gun is comfortable any way I choose to carry it. The tactical versions as well as the CDP and some others come from the factory with night sights, just something else not to have to pay for extra later.

As far as accuracy, my 3 inch Kimber has extremely tight shot groups and is a pure joy to use on the range. With a 3 inch, the shot groups spread out a little at 25 yards, but I can still put every round COM.

Speer Gold Dot is also making a new .45 caliber round especially for short barreled guns. The ordering number for this new ammo is 23975. It is labeled: 45 AUTO 230 gr. GDHP Short Barrel Hollow Point.

Last edited by DaveT; October 17th, 2006 at 11:42 AM.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell

Kimber Quality Control

I bought two Kimbers the first day they were released and on the Market. Two excellent gun that never miss a stutter, no FTF nor FTE.
    No stoppages period.

Transition to today, eleven years later. My closest friend works in the gun department of a large nationwide retailer. They find that 35 to 45 percent of the new Kimbers they sell are brought back in for warranty work. They say the quality control is terrible and most of the gun guys in that store wouldn't buy a Kimber come he11 or high water. Too bad that a Great Gun Company gets so greedy that they let their quality control go down the toliet.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    I sure can't speak about a Kimber 4 inch because I have never fired one. I do own a Kimber Tactical Ultra II 3 inch and use it for my daily carry. Even with the magwell that comes on the tactical version, concealment is never a problem. I use a variety of holsters from paddle to OWB pancake style and a shoulder holster, the gun is comfortable any way I choose to carry it. The tactical versions as well as the CDP and some others come from the factory with night sights, just something else not to have to pay for extra later.

As far as accuracy, my 3 inch Kimber has extremely tight shot groups and is a pure joy to use on the range. With a 3 inch, the shot groups spread out a little at 25 yards, but I can still put every round COM.

Speer Gold Dot is also making a new .45 caliber round especially for short barreled guns. The ordering number for this new ammo is 23975. It is labeled: 45 AUTO 230 gr. GDHP Short Barrel Hollow Point.

That is one the guns that I have been debating on in the pic. I just love it.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Pogo- kimber makes a 4" model with gov sized grip and a different one with officer size grip FYI.

I'd go with the 4", you really get no added concealablity with a 3" the bbl is easy to conceal, it's the grip thats hard.

That being said, I have a 3" that I love, but I know I might have well gone with the 4" when I bought it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work View Post
    I bought two Kimbers the first day they were released and on the Market. Two excellent gun that never miss a stutter, no FTF nor FTE.
    No stoppages period.

Transition to today, eleven years later. My closest friend works in the gun department of a large nationwide retailer. They find that 35 to 45 percent of the new Kimbers they sell are brought back in for warranty work. They say the quality control is terrible and most of the gun guys in that store wouldn't buy a Kimber come he11 or high water. Too bad that a Great Gun Company gets so greedy that they let their quality control go down the toliet.

Jungle Work
    While it is true to say that a lot of Kimbers have been experiencing problems in the last several years, that bears some explaining.......

When Kimber switched from the internal extractor to the external extractor, the problems with FTF's and FTE's quickly swept the internet and the badmouthing was in high gear. But, like so many of the 'opinions' on the internet, you're only reading and hearing about one side and usually from a very vocal minority. Most folks with well functioning Kimbers never post because they just assume their gun functions normally.

I had problems with the Tactical Ultra II that I pictured above. It had the external extractor and I had multiple problems with both FTF and FTE, also a few stovepipes thrown in as well. I called and spoke with Dennis at Kimber's Custom Shop. I explained that I purchased the gun used at a gun show and that it was 3 years old. He said to send it in and it would be fixed. With a turnaround time of right at 2 weeks, I had the gun back with a new internal extractor slide, a new barrel, and brand new night sights to replace the factory ones that were getting dim. No charge, and my being the second owner was not a factor.... Kimber stood behind their product all the way.

My last trip to the range was designed specifically to test the improvements. Several types of ammo, and two different types of magazines were used, shooting was single fire, double taps and rapid fire as fast as I could pull the trigger and reload..... all without a single problem. The gun worked like a dream come true, just as most do that are manufactured these days with the internal extractor.

While I certainly can't speak for anyone but myself, I will not hesitate to let folks know that Kimber's customer service it top notch and they treated me and my Tactical Ultra II very well. I would not hesitate to purchase another Kimber.... but I would make sure it was a newer version with the internal extractor.

I carry an Ultra CDP and really enjoy that gun, wouldn't trade it but I would buy it in a 4" compact if I had to do it again. A 4" compact Kimber is a sweet carry piece. I can't see how you can go wrong to be honest.

Ti
    Last edited by Ti Carry; October 17th, 2006 at 06:53 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links