Difference between Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glock 19???

This is a discussion on Difference between Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glock 19??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can someone please tell me the difference between the Gen 3 and 4 Glock 19 and which one would you get if you had a ...

Thread: Difference between Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glock 19???

Can someone please tell me the difference between the Gen 3 and 4 Glock 19 and which one would you get if you had a choice? Any big issues with either one? Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

With the gen 4 you will get two spare magazines and different size handle back straps so you use the one that fits your hand. Also the grip texture is different. I bought the gen 4 - 19, it's a great one!
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Either one is a great gun!
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As I recall, G4 has more aggressive grip texture (RTF), reversable mag release, dual recoil spring, and some have said the trigger is different but I can't vouch for that. Early Gen 4s had some issues with the recoil springs but I think that's long past now. Someone will be along quickly to confirm/deny that issue.

Personally, I have no problem with the older grip texture, nor do I have a need to reverse the mag release. I have a G30 with the same style recoil spring and it works fine. The Gen 4 has the interchangeable backstraps so to fit a wider variety of hands, but I'm not positive about the G19. I found the Gen 4 G22 to fit my hand much better than the Gen 3s. If it were my choice, I'd opt for the Gen 4 for the backstraps alone.

I haven't fired the Gen 4s but there is a wealth of info from folks here who have, so standby!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I have the Gen4 in a 19, and a 3rd generation 17, chopped to a 19. I like the grip texture better on the 17, but prefer the mag release on the 19. All in all, I love both guns, and carry either or both of them edc. You can't go wrong either way. A 3.5 Ghost Connector is the only change I have made internally.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

The mag release button on the G4 is larger, as well.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Personally, I prefer the Gen 3, but whatever you like...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I prefer the gen 3. I had a gen 4 g26 and thought the trigger felt heavy. Also the mag release was really stiff on mine.

Just got a Gen 3 19 and a Gen 4 26 and I agree the trigger does feel heavier on the 26. But I am still in love with them both!

VIP Member
    Gonna piss people off, but the Gen 4 is the best Glock ever made. Nothing wrong with Gen 3, but the tweaks in the Gen 4 make it a smidge better firearm. If I had a Gen 3 I don't see a major need to upgrade, but if I were to buy new it would be Gen 4. Add the extra mag is a plus as well especially with "Firearmageddon" going on. Frankly I like the grip, mag release, back straps. I have even felt a slight difference in the trigger with the Gen 4 dot connector. I like them a bit better then my Gen 3's. Before you go and call me a fanboy, do a little search and look up how much grief I gave Glock about Gen 4 with one of the early ones I had issues with. Now I have about 4 of them and they run great.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

The grip texture and being able to switch the mag release to the right side was the main reason I got a G4 instead of a G3.

VIP Member
    I had the choice of either when I purchased my gen 3s. At the time the Gen 3s were on sale for 450-499. So I went for the price. I also liked the grip better on the 3.

Re: Difference between Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glock 19???

I have small hands and the gen 4s without back straps feel better in my hands.

Gen 4s are supposed to have less felt recoil but I didn't care about that.

I am in the hunt for a Glock 29 gen 4 as we speak... Good luck in your search. From what I heard you cannot go wrong with either.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    The grip texture on the gen4 is alot more aggressive than the gen3. You need to hold them both to see which one you like better. The grip straps & additional mag are nice extras you get w/the gen4. There were some issues that gen4s had at one time that the gen3s didn't have but I think they have that all cleared up now.

From what I've been seeing locally, the gen4 costs a little more but considering the extras you get with it, it all works out in the end.

Links