Ruger LCP feedback

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP feedback within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by thechriskarel Well I don't have $700 to drop on a Kimber Well then I would look at the Kel Tec PF9....Plain jane ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP feedback

Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    Well I don't have $700 to drop on a Kimber

Well then I would look at the Kel Tec PF9....Plain jane looks, but shoots well, accurate.
    Trigger similar to the LCP (double action, long trigger pull). IMO, a bargain at $270!
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
    I like mine and carry it often. Recoil is there, but nothing crazy.
    Failed to mention that I added Handall sleeve and the finger extension on the magazine and that made a big deference in felt recoil. Made the LCP much more plesant to shoot without compromising conceal ability.

This was done after I fired it in original factory condition. Like it much better now.

No problem with the 2 the wife and I own.

My wife and I each have an LCP.

Due to the small caliber, we almost exclusively carry them as a back-up gun. They are so small and light weight there's really no excuse not to have it with you 24/7. It is essentially invisible in your pocket.

The pinky extention does make it more controllable to shoot.

For me, (and also with a few other people I have let shoot it), I have found it to be more accurate shooting it in rapid fire. What I mean is that because it is so tiny, trying to hold it and slow fire well aimed shots it seems to jump around more. I have found that if you get a good two handed purchase and just let it rip with rapid, but controlled and even strokes of the trigger, it will tend to shoot tighter groups. Even if shooting one handed. I'm not sure if that makes any sense or not. Just try it out and see if it works for you.

I don't like it as a primary gun for a lot of reasons but that is a topic for a different conversation. However, it does have a use and purpose in my carry system, and I feel it will do it's job in that role.
    10thmtn likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Nothing wrong with the LCP as long as you understand it's limitations.
    AFAIC - With the "almost" non-existent sights, I consider it to be a table-top gun, unless you fit
    a laser. Inherently it is a very accurate little gun, but it's hard to hold consistently and I find
    the small sights impossible to use. Showing my age I guess.

- I find the recoil to be harsh and the gun is not something I want to run more than 1-2
    magazines thru it at one time. It's not a range or even a plinking gun.

- They can be temperamental as to the ammo that they will be reliable with. At least that's
    the case for the one my son has.

One the plus side, this little thing hides almost anywhere you plan to put it, and the build quality is pretty good. The trigger pull is long but smooth and the let-off is crisp in the one I've fired.

Ruger LCP feedback

I like my LCP. I'd rather carry my G27 (I like the 40, and Glocks fit my hand well and naturally point where I want it), but some times, the LCP will go with me when other guns can't. It disappears inside my front pocket.

Like others have said, its not a range gun. I haven't put more than 50 rounds through it in a single day. The trigger pull is long and hard, and the sights are barely there. Recoil is worse than my 40s. 380 isn't the most desirable bullet. Yup, theres a lot of reasons why this SHOULDN'T be a great gun. Yet I've been impressed with its accuracy and reliability, and I feel confident carrying it. In my humble opinion, its the best gun for ultra concealability.

I got mine with a crimson trace, and while the laser is nice, I don't really think its all that necessary.
    thechriskarel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    I like my LCP. I'd rather carry my G27 (I like the 40, and Glocks fit my hand well and naturally point where I want it), but some times, the LCP will go with me when other guns can't. It disappears inside my front pocket.

Like others have said, its not a range gun. I haven't put more than 50 rounds through it in a single day. The trigger pull is long and hard, and the sights are barely there. Recoil is worse than my 40s. 380 isn't the most desirable bullet. Yup, theres a lot of reasons why this SHOULDN'T be a great gun. Yet I've been impressed with its accuracy and reliability, and I feel confident carrying it. In my humble opinion, its the best gun for ultra concealability.

I got mine with a crimson trace, and while the laser is nice, I don't really think its all that necessary.
    exactly.

I got mine BTW. I plan to fire it ASAP.

Mine has been flawless. I don't think the recoil is very bad. Accuracy is better than I thought it would be. I am not a fan of the small 380s because they are hard to shoot. I doubt you will ever hear anyone say that they shoot it better than any other handgun. When I carry mine it is almost always in addition to something else.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Good little gun. Goes with me relatively often when only pockets are available.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

For what it is, the size/price is good, get good ammo (Hornady CD?)
    Better than Bear Spray!!!

I put 50 rounds through it today and I LOVE it. The recoil is there, but it isn't bad. It's very accurate and is still super light even with a full magazine. What a great gun.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I liked the one I had very much.

CT laser on it and less recoil than my MDE .380 and then LCRs, even with hot Double Tap Ammo in it.

Probably would still have it if I didn't dump my .380s and 38s for .357 SIG and .357 Magnums.

Again, I expected more recoil from the very light LCP.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!
    The year is young and another World Series championship awaits!

If I were going to build one of these for personal protection. One of the first things I'd do is grind what site there is off the gun. Thicken the grip and extend the mag a bit for a little bit better grip. It would make a great up close and personal hand to hand weapon. Accuracy would be fine for the distance you would be using it at. It could give you enough time to escape. The gun is fine for the correct tactics. If your going to stand and fight bring an AR.
    R
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

I tested the Sig P238, S&W and the LCP. I ranked them Sig#1, S&W#2, Lcp#3 on the range. But I liked the LCP better as a pocket carry and there was $200 difference to the Sig. It took a little while to get used to the LCP but now I really like it. Added the Hogue grip, I enjoy putting 50 rounds through it about evey two weeks at the range, then shoot another 50 through one of the 9's.

My wife tried the LCP a few times and hated it every time. So I bought her the Sig and she finds that a whole lot easier to shoot for $550 lol.

My 17 year old daughter likes shooting the LCP she keeps asking me to buy another one in some ridiculous pink color so she can have her own to shoot.

Ruger has a forum for the LCP/LCR and LC9 you could get more feedback over there. I rented he Lc9 twice and I really wanted to like it especially because I could swap ammo with my Sr9c and Beretta cx4 strorm. But i keep coming back to the LCP.

I've read this with great interest since I am considering the LCP. A kind gent at the range let me shoot his a while ago, and while I only put seven rounds through it I do recall that the recoil was not too bad and I was able to keep them all in the stomach on a silhouette at 15yds.

My main reasoning for picking up one of the little .380s (even though I'm not a fan of the round) is as a BUG when nothing else will work nicely in a pocket while belt carrying something larger.

As for carry ammo, I'm thinking FMJ or 100gr hardcast rounds from Buffalo Bore.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links