Sig P250 Subcompact vs CZ 2075

This is a discussion on Sig P250 Subcompact vs CZ 2075 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello my name is Cody. I am looking for my first CCW pistol and i have researched and researched and researched. So now I figure ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig P250 Subcompact vs CZ 2075

Smile Sig P250 Subcompact vs CZ 2075

Hello my name is Cody. I am looking for my first CCW pistol and i have researched and researched and researched. So now I figure ill ask a few questions of my own. Here is my reason for posting this. I am looking for a gun that I (145lbs 5'7 31in waist) can conceal and yet have fun shooting it when I decide to go to the range. I do quite a bit of shooting because where I live I am not in city limits. So looking for a gun that I can conceal yet enjoy shooting at the same time has become a daunting task. I hate the ruger lc9, Kel tec pf9 & pf11. They are just no fun to shoot. To much work and my hand starts to hurt around 25-30 rounds. I have considered a few Taurus guns ( pt709 slim, pt111 millennium pro ) The pt709 is not that bad of a gun and i might consider it sometime in the future and a skinny summer gun. However thats not what i am looking for right now.The pt111's fit and finnish just plain sucks. The slide is loose, the mag rattles in the mag well, and I was just not impressed in any way shape or form.
    From everything I have read and researched it always seems to come down to two guns. The sig p250sc and the cz 2075. I am a big fan of cz guns I love the way they feel and how they shoot. I have never had the chance to own a sig but i have shot a couple and they always seem to impress. I also have had the chance to hold a p250sc and I do like the way it feels. It is a little on the think side and the fact thats its DOA is kinda a downer even though it is a FANTASTIC DA trigger. Being the CZ fan that I am I was naturally drawn to the 2075 but have never had the chance to look feel and hold one in person. I have searched all the local gun shops and nobody has one. So if I do decide to buy the 2075 it will be without ever seeing or holding the gun in person which is kinda scary to me. I would like to know everyones impression of these to guns. The good the bad and the ugly. Why you like them and why you don't.

2. Remove Ads

Early on I believe the CZ had some reliability issues. They have been cured I'm not certain. I carry a Sig 250SC in 40 cal. and I love the gun. In the right holster, it is very easy to carry.

Both guns you mentioned are hammer fired. Have you considered something like the Walther PPS? Very easy to carry because it is thin and light, but it shoots like a bigger gun for all day shooting at the range. The PPS is striker fired which gives the gun consistent trigger pull with short reset. I would also look at the Gock 26 for pretty much the same reasons.

I have both a CZ 2075 (9mm) and a P250sc (.380/9mm). I don't think you can go wrong with either, but here is my breakdown of the comparison:

CZ 2075 (alloy frame 9mm) Pros vs P250sc:
    • Built like a cold war tank (but only ~25 oz)
    • NO stamped parts, everything is machined
    • Uses any CZ 75 series magazines (10, 14, 16, 18 rnd)
    • Very accurate and comfortable to shoot
    • Available with safety (cannot be engaged when in DA mode) or decocker
    • SA follow up shots and and short(er) reset allow much faster shooting

Sig P250SC 9mm Pros vs CZ 2075:
    • Very short trigger reach with the subcompact grip frame (even my wife, with tiny hands, has plenty of reach)
    • Long smooth DAO eliminates DA/SA transition
    • Trigger is smoother than the CZ, which will likely have some initial roughness due to the hand fitted machined internals (can be cleaned up with use or gunsmithing)
    • 12 rounds with flush mag vs 10 rounds with 2075
    • Compatible with all P250 mags, grip frame sizes, slide sizes, and caliber conversion kits
    • Ergonomic, snag free design
    • Cheaper and easier to find than the CZ (including parts availability)

To the CZ reliability mentioned in the earlier post, I had cosmetic problems with a frame bulge my (now discontinued) poly frame 2075, but CZ replaced it no questions asked with an alloy model at no cost, and it's been 100% for well over 5k rounds. The only problems I recall from the CZ forums are related to the poly guns or the .40 guns.

Both have an external hammer, which I consider a must for appendix carry, and both are about the same size and weight. If you are good with the DA/SA transition then I think the CZ is more capable, but has less capacity. The sig is a great choice for a beginner because that long smooth DAO will force you to learn great trigger control that will translate to any other firearm you own or plan to own. On that point, people that I know that have learned on striker fired guns do not shoot the DAO Sig well at all, but anyone that has learned on a DA/SA or revolver really likes the Sig. Interestingly a few weeks ago a striker fired only friend put a few magazines through the Sig, said he hated the DAO, then proceeded to shoot his XD "better than he has ever shot it". He said focusing on the DAO made him much more aware of his trigger control.

The sig is also good for a beginner because as you move on to other carry options you can transition the gun to larger grip frames (~$40) to make a great nightstand gun, or put on the .380 slide for a great minimal recoil platform to teach new shooters.

So having said all that, which would/do I carry? Both are great, but I always reach for the CZ 2075. I prefer DA/SA, and I just love shooting that gun.

IMGP6781s.jpg

Very very good info and a fast responses I really appreciate it. See I am a big car guy and you describing the p250 versus the 2075 with the pros and cons against each other reminds me of the Lancer Evolution (p250) vs Wrx Sti (2075) when faced with both choices they are both fantastic but yet every time I am faced with a decision I go with the Sti (2075). I don't know why but I just do. This will be very helpful on my decision making. Thank you.

@ buckshotshorty I am hard pressed to buy another Walter after my first experience with buy one. I bought the p22 for the wife and I just for a fun cheap plinking gun. It was anything but that. Almost every single round jammed, failed to feed or failed to extract. Poor poor quality and horrible design. I figured out the problem was that when fired the .22 did not have enough umph to push the slide back all the way over the hammer 95% of the time. The drag from the hammer contacting the slide was considerable. Got rid of it quick and bought a gsg 1911 22. Best decision ever. I love the feel of a full size gun with the cost of .22. I. Yet to have a problem with the gsg 2k+ rounds.

If CZ ever makes the alloy frame 2075 with ambi controls, it will definitely find a home here. I almost bought the poly frame 2075 because it was ambi. As mentioned CZ replaced all questionable poly frame 2075s with the alloy 2075s, but since I am left-handed it woulden't have done me any good.

My CZ85 keeps calling out for company, though.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by CJ89 View Post
    Very very good info and a fast responses I really appreciate it. See I am a big car guy and you describing the p250 versus the 2075 with the pros and cons against each other reminds me of the Lancer Evolution (p250) vs Wrx Sti (2075) when faced with both choices they are both fantastic but yet every time I am faced with a decision I go with the Sti (2075). I don't know why but I just do. This will be very helpful on my decision making. Thank you.
    From one car guy to another, here would be my analogy: The 2075 is like a miata, the P250 is like an S2000. Both are the same size, both are good weekend track/autocross cars. The S2000 will get around the track more quickly, but only in the hands of a really skilled driver. A novice will not be able to stay in the power band and wring the power out of that tiny, high reving little motor (long DAO pull). The miata has those classic lotus looks, is very simple, tough, forgiving, and the driving dynamics lend themselves more directly to other performance cars (the large selection of DA/SA autos). But a miata will need a bit of tuning to really work on the track - good thing there is mazdaspeed making all sorts of performance race goodies (CZ custom shop).

The real wildcard here is the new scion FRS (sig P224). Hard to get at the moment and more expensive, but it has the makings of being an amazing car in the same class (or at least close). But I'm waiting on the decocker version (Subaru BRZ).

Hahaha love the way you put it! And x2 on the Brz. At this point and time I think I am leaning towards the 2075 but who knows what tomorrow will bring. Just like when getting my next car, I never have my mind fully made up until the cash is leaving my hand.

Glad you enjoyed it.

To push the analogy farther than it deserves, I would say the STI/EVO are like the modern s striker fired guns. All that power/AWD/computer control will undoubtedly get you around the track faster, but it can also cover up bad technique that may come back to bite you. The little RWD sports cars force you to find good lines and carry every last bit of speed around the corners.

So for developing long term shooting technique I prefer DAO or DA/SA, but I admit that striker fired guns are a more capable platform (but I still won't carry them appendix).

As the owner of a CZ RAMI 2075 BD and a long time fan of Sigs (owner of a P229 and a P6) I will not hesitate to endorse the CZ over the Sig.

The P250 was a great idea with lousy execution. The trigger pull is VERY long, the exchange system is too costly, and the weapons are just plain lacking in the sig quality of their old school standards (see the two I mentioned above as examples.)

My CZ took 6 months from order to receipt so I suggest ordering now. I will throw this out there, if you are set on a RAMI, get the BD. Factory night sites, built in decocker and alloy frame.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

@357and40: The only reason i would get the BD over the regular is for the decocker. If its so dark that you need night sights then its to dark to see the target. IMO the only thing night sights are good for is finding your gun on your night stand in the dark..... lol But thanks for the tip! I think ill go tomorrow to my local armory and see what the wait time on one will be.

@rwponline: As for the whole AWD vs RWD goes. You have a very good point. I will soon be trading in my 05 Civic Si for a more family suited yet still fun 06 Legacy Gt. As for rwd I have a build in progress. 83 Mazda Rx7 Gsl thats about to get a Single turboed 5.0L heart transplant..... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    The P250 was a great idea with lousy execution. The trigger pull is VERY long, the exchange system is too costly, and the weapons are just plain lacking in the sig quality of their old school standards (see the two I mentioned above as examples.)
    Good points.

From what I have read, the 1st generation P250 (distinguishable with a different mag base plate design) had many problems, but my second generation P250 appears well made and has been very reliable for me. It's not built like your 229, but it's not priced as such either (priced more like a Taurus). Time will tell how well the P250 holds up, but so far it's been great.

As for the trigger pull, it's long but smooth and has a good break. The exchange kit I picked up from sig was only $199, and included a new slide, magazine, frame, and hardcase (it was on sale).

I think if I could only have one I would prefer the 2075 with decocker as well (I have a couple of other decocker CZs that I really enjoy), but I ended up with the safety version and it is flatter for carry (and won't engage in DA mode).

VIP Member
    The reliability issues with the RAMI were in the .40 cal models not the 9mm, and it was a magazine issue not gun issue. I have both calibers. Both have been completely reliable for me.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Well I just called my local armory (would not be shopping there but i got a gift card for Crhistmas) to get pricing and availability. 595$ for the safety and they told me 20% down and that they don't know how long it will take to get it...... I also asked about the p250 in 9mm and they do not have that as well but said they could get it in 3 to 4 days. Im not really looking to wait a few months to get a gun to carry just because I already don't like not carrying and I am inpatient.. so i guess now it is between the p250 or the glock 26. Simply because they are available. My only problem with the glock 26 is that I dont like carrying with one in the chamber w/o a safety. I know it has the trigger safety but IMO thats more of a joke than anything.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good DA/SA carry pistol that meets my criteria and is around the 500$ range?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links