Adios my little friend (G-26)

This is a discussion on Adios my little friend (G-26) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really am a fan of this little gun, but it just doesn't work for me. This is the second one I've tried and came ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Adios my little friend (G-26)

Adios my little friend (G-26)

I really am a fan of this little gun, but it just doesn't work for me. This is the second one I've tried and came to the same conclusion I did five years ago. With the pinky +2 extensions, that’s 13 rounds of 9 in a nice small package but there just isn't enough grip on the gun and it doesn't give me any noticeable concealment advantage over a 19.

I know there a many fans of the baby glocks out there but I cannot run the 26 like a 19, it's not even close. Draws or pick-ups are never as consistent, shot to shot is slower, and reloads aren't in the same ballpark. Great little gun but the gain just doesn't make up for what I give up when carrying this gun. My experimenting is done, for a second time, and it moves on to a new owner this afternoon.
    kmagnuss likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You do what you gotta do.

I've found that my abilities change over time. Guns that used to be challenging for me, can become my favorite. Since I've never sold a gun, every now and then I'll pull one out of the safe and give it a whirl.

As a result, I'm back to carrying a j-frame these days.
    glockman10mm likes this.

I have the same issues with the baby Glocks... I also like the 19. So, I'm with you. I'm falling in love with my new CZ though!
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

I mirror the above statement. g26, not a fan at all. g19, much better package. never say never but, i'll never own a g26. unless you're giving yours away. in that case.... :) but seriously, my preference is smith over glock. i like to rent them at the range now and again but always go back to my trust m&p
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

DandLfam-

I'm looking for a CCW and I'm between a Glock 26 and a M&P 9c now...what makes you prefer the S&W?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That's why that make Glock 9mms in more than one size!
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Wondering-

I was the exact same way 3 years ago. I was in and out of the LGS 3 or 4 times. Each time, it always came down to the g26 and m&p9c.

For me I chose the M&P9c for these reasons:
    -The ergo's (how a gun naturally points when unholstering) were second to none. I would go from a rest position to defense mode and it'd point straight. No readjusting my wrist, sighted naturally.. just more balanced.
    -For the price, I got more with mp9c. 2 mags, nice hard case, nice lock, range flag.. i think $549 out the door at the time..?? The g26 only came with 1 mag, punny little case, cheap lock
    -Grip. Change out the backstraps to fit the shooters grip. 3 to choose.
    -Range time. After shooting both, and for my hand size(very average not large or small) mp9c was MUCH better. Less snappy. More hand on the gun. Didn't fell every time I pulled the trigger it was going to fly out of my hand.
    -Finally..... Made in America.

M&P9c was my first CCW purchase. It's been 3 years since then and I still carry the mp9c 90% of the time if not more. Heck, my lady liked it so much she bought it as her first carry gun.

Hope this helps...
    1959 and Bark'n like this.

NRA

DandLfam-

Thanks for the great answer! The one thing that I need to consider is availability of accessories for lefty shooters. I've noticed more suppliers make LH holsters for Glocks. The Gen 4's have the 2 mags and interchangeable backstrap now so I guess the main thing I'll need to do is test fire a few and hopefully I can do that this weekend. That will be the deciding factor.

I enjoy getting other's perspective especially since you have experience with them. From what I've heard the M&P's all shoot well and I'd look at a shield but it has a righty safety on it and that's too much of a liability for me. It should be too difficult for a lefty to disengage.

To me, putting the mag extensions on it makes the ssame size as the G-19, so might as well carry a 19. I always carried my 26 with the 10 rd mag in the gun so it had the short grip for easier concealment, but carried my g19 magazine on my belt for a 15 rd reload if needed. FOr some reason, I always felt like at close ranges (CCW?) I was able to shoot my 26 better and faster than the 19. IDK if its because the shorter barrel clears the holster sooner, less mass to lift upwards, or what.

I think its all between your ears. I used to shoot IDPA with my G26 and it performed just as well as my G19 or G17. With the pinky factory mags from Glock, I find the G26 to
    be considerably easier to conceal than my G19....and NO IT DOES NOT MAKE IT SAME SIZE AS A G19....tired of reading that same worn out statement on this forum.
    I have big hands and can get a full grip on the G26 with pinky extensions with absolutely no problem.
    Jetfuelrm and GreyGhost like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

wondering-
    It's all personal preference. Make the decision for you. Handle and shoot if possible. This is something you want to be comfortable, don't let price or a sales person swing you one way because they drink the Glock Juice or Smith wagon. Granted, made in american Smith is MY choice, does not mean it's the best. For me, it's the best choice.

zonker1986-
    I have what I'd call average sized hands, and even with the pinky extension I find the g26 very hard to hold onto. Too snappy. Not enough palm on grip for me.

JMO

NRA

VIP Member
    Glock 19 is as small as I go for edc.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Considering current political atmosphere I would not get rid of any gun that has a mag capacity of 10 or fewer.

DandLfam-

Thanks again for your thoughts hearing what helps others choose helps me to know what to look for. Hopefully I can get a good feel at the range and we'll go from there.

I find my 19 to be a bit hard to conceal sometimes, and tend to carry my Kahr P380 more often as a result. I've considered getting a 26, hoping it would be easier to carry. I'd prefer to have a 9mm on me as opposed to a .380, if possible. Of course, the Kahr PM9 is also an option, along with some other small 9mm. The biggest downside to the 26, IMO, is the thickness, which is the same as the 19. A single-stack 9mm would be easier to hide, although you'd sacrifice capacity.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links