Full Size .45s: Which One? - Page 2

Full Size .45s: Which One?

This is a discussion on Full Size .45s: Which One? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if the price range is right, or the size. Full size in one gun can be large or smaller in another make. You ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Full Size .45s: Which One?

VIP Member
    Not sure if the price range is right, or the size. Full size in one gun can be large or smaller in another make. You might take a look at the CZ 97.

CZ-USA -> CZ 97 B
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Another for the H&K USP or if your willing to spend a little more the H&K .45 or .45C are both amazing. They also make a USP .45C.

Anyways main point being, take a look at all the H&K .45s. They are the only guns that broke my 1911 fascination.

A used USP45 will run you about the same as any of these cheaper guns and you get more for your money. I owned a G21 and now own a USP45. Night and day difference in design/quality.

Of the three you mentioned, I own a XD 4" .45. I have had no issues with it, as I expect there should be no issues with the other two you mentioned either.

If you can get your hands on each one and shoot them all, make the comparison and pick which one you think will work best for you.

I carry the XD in a FIST holster. For the money, you can't go wrong with their OWB belt slide holsters. I have one for just about every gun I own. They give discounts after you buy several from them.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by A1Fiddler View Post
    A used USP45 will run you about the same as any of these cheaper guns and you get more for your money. I owned a G21 and now own a USP45. Night and day difference in design/quality.
    Agreed.

I'd suggest you take a close look at the HK 45 (C) or the HK USP 45 (C).

Great pistols, very accurate and totally reliable. I like that they can be carried cocked and locked but also have a decocker.

My HK 45C:

My HK USP 45C:

Good luck with your search OP, I expect many gunshops are pretty bare at the moment but keep us updated on your situation.

And please join the NRA if you're not already a member and write your reps to oppose any new gun control laws. Gun owners' 2nd Amendment rights are under serious attack right now.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I too recommend the H&K USP. It is an amazing firearm worth owning in every sense of the word.

I know that the price is high, but you will be happier than you know owning one. You'll never second-guess the decision. I'd look on Gunbroker and buy used. I honestly believe in them that much.

--It's not that the other choices are not excellent though. All are proven, quality choices. The H&K is just superior. IMHO

When I was looking to buy a .45 for duty use, I researched all the usual suspects. I bought the Glock 30, because I wanted to be able to CC it as well. No one has yet been able to match Glock's capacity vs weight. And the G30 is a sweet shooting pistol - if the G21 is anything like it, you will be pleased.

For an OWB holster, look no further than Glock's own Sport/Combat holster. Best $17 I ever spent.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Here's my HK45 and Compact overlaid. The pics of each are in the Flickr account I linked on the first page. Without a doubt, I'd go HK45 (if not a 1911) over any other 45 available.

I owned the USP Tactical as well and the Hk45 is overall, for my needs, the better handgun.

Edit - I figured I'd post the original pics of the HK's here as well....

Maximpactguns and R040607 like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    G21 for me.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

IMHO spend a few extra $$$ if you can and splurge on the H&K Usp model. It's amazing. I'd prefer it over any glock 45. And I LOVE glocks but the H&K feels much better, just as dependable, and the magazine release is really nice being just under the triggerguard so you can release a mag with your thumb or free finger much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Here's my HK45 and Compact overlaid. The pics of each are in the Flickr account I linked on the first page. Without a doubt, I'd go HK45 (if not a 1911) over any other 45 available.

I owned the USP Tactical as well and the Hk45 is overall, for my needs, the better handgun.

Edit - I figured I'd post the original pics of the HK's here as well....

I agree. Much much better gun. Even better than a 1911. I've never been a fan of 1911's but I may consider building one when I get my Ar done.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    M&P... every glock owner that shoots my M&P's notice that they point more naturally and feel better in the hand... as far as your capacity issue goes... just get a full size M&P45 mag for backup.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

When it comes to the M&P45, I carried the full size, then the standard size concealed for a while. I see no reason for the compact.... Even in jeans and a t-shirt. Obviously this is personal preference. I just like a full size fighting gun and I can conceal it pretty much as good as the smaller versions. Actually, there are some pics in my Flickr account which I posted on the first page.

As for 1911's..... I'll always love 'em. Picked up my fourth (well, fifth actually) the other day.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Have you looked at the Sig Sauer P220?
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Thanks for the information! I want try a few different ones.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links