Full Size .45s: Which One? - Page 3

Full Size .45s: Which One?

This is a discussion on Full Size .45s: Which One? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The key to most gun purchases is to "Try Before you Buy" which a lot of Gun Ranges can provide. Me, I have one of ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Full Size .45s: Which One?

The key to most gun purchases is to "Try Before you Buy" which a lot of Gun Ranges can provide. Me, I have one of the first G21's that came into the US with an XL serial number that has had several updates (provided by Glock in nearby Smyrna Ga) including a new extractor for the one's that chipped after not too many rounds in the early 1990's. It has had more than 30,000 rounds shot thru it, mostly reloads running Lead 200Gr SWC in IPSC competetion with the factory barrel as there weren't any after market barrels back then. It has performed flawlessly and is now my House Gun stoked with Winchester Ranger T's.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

+1 on the G21...for a using-grade sidearm, hard to beat. Lots of holsters, anything you'd want to dress it up...I like the M&p, too, but G21 gets my vote. My oldest son really likes the Sig P250...different trigger, but shoots well...considerable cheaper than the Glock.

Administrator
    Id buy the M&P, the Glock is ok but it's just huge.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    M&P !

I didn't read everything.....

I picked Glock 21 SF because they were cheap, reliable, and available. Holsters are pretty easy to find, extra mags, etc...

If I were buying again I'd give the M&P a look. The HK45 looks really nice - but it's a lot more $$$ and less capacity.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Id buy the M&P, the Glock is ok but it's just huge.
    I'm looking at the Glock 21SF. It's huge in the sense that it's a full size, but has a smaller front-to-back grip than a normal 21 (and that's the only difference), which makes it much more comfortable to handle, and I am pleased with its otherwise large frame. If you meant huge in terms of carrying, I don't plan to carry it, except openly while I'm at work (RSO). Otherwise, it's going to mainly be my HD gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    Good luck with your search OP, I expect many gunshops are pretty bare at the moment but keep us updated on your situation.

And please join the NRA if you're not already a member and write your reps to oppose any new gun control laws. Gun owners' 2nd Amendment rights are under serious attack right now.
    I'm a member of the NRA, and I've written my senators, reps, and president a number of times this week. Thank you for your diligence.

Went to the gun store today to get my hands on a few guns. I checked out the Glock 21SF, and the XD45 Tactical. I liked both, though I've heard repeatedly since the day started that the Glock is superior. I trust this assessment. They didn't have any other G21s to try, so I've no idea if a regular sized fits better than the SF, but the SF did fit great, and I have shot it on previous occasions, and I know I can shoot well with it. I've also heard that regular sized G21s can be uncomfortably large to grip, especially since my hands are not the size of dinner plates. I've shot XD9s (competition guns specifically), as well as many Glocks, and while I did enjoy shooting them all, the Glocks feel sturdier, in a way. Handling the XD45 today seems to have confirmed this opinion.

Thank you all for your reponses so far. I see a lot of votes for the HK45 and USP45. However, as I mentioned in earlier comments, price is a concern, and those are above my price range. I also mentioned that higher capacity is preferred. The only gun that I would consider in a higher price range would probably be a Sig. I'm a big fan! And that's just a preference thing. I do not discount the quality of the USPs and HKs. Someday, when price is no problem, I'll remember these suggestions and buy myself something "purdy".

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    The key to most gun purchases is to "Try Before you Buy" which a lot of Gun Ranges can provide. Me, I have one of the first G21's that came into the US with an XL serial number that has had several updates (provided by Glock in nearby Smyrna Ga) including a new extractor for the one's that chipped after not too many rounds in the early 1990's. It has had more than 30,000 rounds shot thru it, mostly reloads running Lead 200Gr SWC in IPSC competetion with the factory barrel as there weren't any after market barrels back then. It has performed flawlessly and is now my House Gun stoked with Winchester Ranger T's.
    I'm a RSO at my local gun range; I spend a lot of time there. Trying isn't so much the issue, as I've shot most of the guns that have been suggested (if not similar models). I can pick up pretty much any gun you put in front of me and effectively kill some targets, and I am very comfortable shooting .45s. The only thing really for me to do is just get my hands on them again and really focus on which one's more comfortable. I did that today at the gun store as I mentioned a minute ago.

Thanks for your review of the 21, by the way; it was very helpful.

Again, thank you all for your suggestions, and please, feel free to leave more. I'd especially like to continue hearing reviews from those that own, or have shooting experience with the XD45 and M&P45. I understand that many don't drink the Glock "kool-aid", but it's hard to just write Glocks off as simply "hip" given their history and extensive use across the globe. For this reason (their use and history, not the kool-aid ), the G21 is sitting at my top choice at the moment.

EDIT: 1911s are not an option right now. There are many fantastic 1911s out there, but it's not what I'm looking for right now. When I have the money someday, I will be fixing myself up with a very nice one, but that's for another day.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I'm looking into getting a new full size .45. The .45s I have now are compacts, and I would like a full size. I've been looking at the Glock 21, Springfield XD 45 (5" barrel), and S&W M&P 45. Which of those would you go with? Or are there any others within that category/price range that you would suggest? Right now I'm leaning towards either the Glock or the Springfield; I like the higher capacity over the S&W.

And please, no suggestions of different caliber; .45 is what I shoot, and prefer.
    I love my Glock 27, but of the guns listed I think the M&P45 is the best.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bstock87 View Post
    Another for the H&K USP or if your willing to spend a little more the H&K .45 or .45C are both amazing. They also make a USP .45C.

Anyways main point being, take a look at all the H&K .45s. They are the only guns that broke my 1911 fascination.
    Agree 100%. Could not have said it better.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I have shot many M&P variants M&P9 M&P40 M&P9c M&P40c M&P45 M&P45c and let me tell you I will not lie when I say the the M&P45's shoot smooth and shoot flat/accurate... recoil is non-exsistent due to the platform and ergonomics of this gun. I expected it to recoil harder then a 1911 or a gun with more heft/weight, but it just did not... truly a gun I pray I can own someday.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I can vouch for the full size M&P .45. Over 1000 rounds so far, zero problems. Only positives.

I own three 45 autos, since the H&K is out of the question I'll focus on my M&P. I have what I would call there commander sized 4 inch variant which is not as popular, I Love it, don't need 13 rounds 45acp 10 in the mag is fine for me. I've got tritium factory sights mine,. I've shot the XD 45 and both full size glocks I don't drink the kool aid, sorry glock fans. The M&P has a higher bore axis, and points more naturally. I have huge hands so it takes the large palm swell to fit my hand. I shoot at an indoor range they've some of these targets that is basically a deck of cards, I bought the gun took 100 rounds with me, shot one mag to get a feel for the pistol after that I started punching holes, I did not miss a shot on any card. That is a tribute I think to the comfortable grip angle. If you have shot them all you must just be comfortable with all of them and want sound advice. I will tell you this people don't like the triggers on the M&Ps but I have no issue with them, if you put 400-500 rounds through this gun the trigger gets really smooth and the squishy feeling goes away. The glocks always seem to be gritty to me. No complaints from me I love the gun and wouldn't get rid of it. By the way something that hasn't been mentioned the 45 M&P fits all glock 20/21 holsters.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I have owned my XD45 4" service model for about seven years now. Carry it daily in a CompTac Minotaur hybrid IWB holster. Never failed me so far. I don't think of it as the best pistol available but I do consider it a fantastic pistol for the money and is exactly what I wanted in a defense pistol. I have owned a 1911 and will eventually again. I love the 1911 platform and the XD45 is similar to the 1911 in ergonomics.

Rust has not been an issue whatsoever with my XD. No rust at all. Field strip is simple and quick. Complete breakdown is not difficult and only requires a simple pin punch. If a complete breakdown is ever needed anywhere that you didn't have access to a pin punch then what difference would it make?

I can definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a full size.

Nothing wrong with any of the other choices stated though as I would own most any one of them as well.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I don't think that I saw anyone mention the Sig P220. I have an Elite model with the 4.4" barrel and a Single Action Only model with a 5" barrel and adjustable sights.
    Both are absolute tack drivers and balance well for medium and large hands.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links