Full Size .45s: Which One?

Full Size .45s: Which One?

This is a discussion on Full Size .45s: Which One? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking into getting a new full size .45. The .45s I have now are compacts, and I would like a full size. I've been ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Full Size .45s: Which One?

Question Full Size .45s: Which One?

I'm looking into getting a new full size .45. The .45s I have now are compacts, and I would like a full size. I've been looking at the Glock 21, Springfield XD 45 (5" barrel), and S&W M&P 45. Which of those would you go with? Or are there any others within that category/price range that you would suggest? Right now I'm leaning towards either the Glock or the Springfield; I like the higher capacity over the S&W.

And please, no suggestions of different caliber; .45 is what I shoot, and prefer.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

It is brand new and probably not on shelves but check out the Ruger SR45
    sioux565 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have the Glock-21...lots of fire power...still the same simple, dependable firearm...quite a gun!
    pittypat21, OD* and cthruit like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    It is brand new and probably not on shelves but check out the Ruger SR45
    I did see that on Ruger's website. Not a fan of the SR series, personally. I had an SR9c, and didn't like it, and I'm not a big fan of the way it looks either . But seriously, though, it's on the same level with the M&P capacity wise, and if I was going to go with a 10-rounder, I'd choose the M&P over it any day. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I have the G21's smaller brother, a G30. I use the G21 mag for home duty. If the G21 shoots anywhere as soft as my G30, I'd call it a winner. I looked at the XD line and it just didn't set well with me, but that's just my opinion, not that of the many satisfied XD owners. The M&P line fits more naturally for me, but I have no issues with the Glock grip and that's what I ended up buying. With the military discount it was a no-brainer.
    pittypat21 and 10thmtn like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    In the category but not price range, the USP 45. I hate H&K but think the USP 45 is one of the premier pistols ever made.

Of those listed I'd be happy with the Glock or M&P. (I don't like XDs at all.) The M&P feels better in my hand and points more naturally than the Glocks do. But both are great guns that are going to run and run and run.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have the Glock-21...lots of fire power...still the same simple, dependable firearm...quite a gun!
    It's been the one I've had my eye on the most. Only trouble is deciding between Gen3, 4, or SF. I've shot the SF and I know that I like it, but I need to get my hands on the other two to decide. Any opinions regarding the three anybody can offer?

Here's a link to the XD I'm looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    In the category but not price range, the USP 45. I hate H&K but think the USP 45 is one of the premier pistols ever made.

Of those listed I'd be happy with the Glock or M&P. (I don't like XDs at all.) The M&P feels better in my hand and points more naturally than the Glocks do. But both are great guns that are going to run and run and run.
    Definitely not in the price range! Right category, though! Unfortunately the price range is more important than the category, for me. If only I could afford such high dollar weapons...

I've shot XD 9s, and M&P Shields, and like all of them. I haven't shot the M&P45, but it doesn't look to be too far from the shields.

Thanks for the suggestion Echo_Four.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    It's been the one I've had my eye on the most. Only trouble is deciding between Gen3, 4, or SF. I've shot the SF and I know that I like it, but I need to get my hands on the other two to decide. Any opinions regarding the three anybody can offer?

Here's a link to the XD I'm looking at.
    One consideration...read the first line of the first post: Total break down XD 45 Tactical - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

It's the simplicity of the Glock that I like. I keep the Glock-21, and it's added Surfire x300 light, as a HD firearm. I also have an OWB holster to it, but I prefer my Glock-36 or 30 for CC.

Oh, and I prefer the Gen 3 for all my Glocks...just my personal preference.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    One consideration...read the first line of the first post: Total break down XD 45 Tactical - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

It's the simplicity of the Glock that I like. I keep the Glock-21, and it's added Surfire x300 light, as a HD firearm. I also have an OWB holster to it, but I prefer my Glock-36 or 30 for CC.

Oh, and I prefer the Gen 3 for all my Glocks...just my personal preference.OMO
    I've never had a reason to do a "total breakdown" of any of my guns, though I can see what you mean about the simplicity. I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Whichever I choose will also more than likely double as my range pistol when I'm working (I'm a RSO), so an OWB holster would be necessary. What do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I've never had a reason to do a "total breakdown" of any of my guns, though I can see what you mean about the simplicity. I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Whichever I choose will also more than likely double as my range pistol when I'm working (I'm a RSO), so an OWB holster would be necessary. What do you use?
    This: FIST, INC.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have the FNP45 and love it. It might be a little TOO full size but it's a great gun.

I wouldn't buy anything Ruger, first off. Of those you mentioned, I have quite a bit of time with the M&ap45 and Glock 21. I prefer the Glock for 9mm and the M&P for 45. There's a hot spot for me on the M&P 45 near the beavertail, but it can easily be rectified with a little filing. xD's may be fine guns, but those I trust have not seen the same reliability from them over time as they have with Glocks and M&P's.

The M&P 45 shoots well and smooth. It's an accurate gun. I've owned all three sizes of the 45. Some 10-8 base pads for the mags and some Warren or 10-8 sights and it's good to go. The DCAEK kit from Apex (or even their trigger) is a bonus but not a necessity. My current work and personal carry gun is a very worked over M&P9 though I might switch back to a Glock 17 this month. I'm content with either, whether 9mm or 45.

Another great option, and my first non-1911 choice of 45's is the HK45. I've owned both the standard and compact. I prefer the standard, though the compact fit my hand fine. I have an overlay of both in my hand if it would help as well as a 1911 and the Glock and M&P 9mm's for size comparison.

I had both with the DA/SA triggers but if I was to do it again, I'd have the light LEM triggers. They have a long pull, but once you get the hang of it, you can shoot them as well as a striker fired gun. Also, there's an argument to be made that the longer trigger pull is an advantage in a defensive or LE role for those without extra training, generally speaking.

For reliability, I'd say it's very hard to beat the HK45's. Let me kow if any pics will help. I'll link my Flickr below for now.

Some of the photos I'm referring to are in the middle of the set and others are at the very end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2492587...7629846580235/
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I was thinking about the Ruger SR45, have you had bad experiences with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Flashburns View Post
    I was thinking about the Ruger SR45, have you had bad experiences with them?
    I have had a bad experience with a friend's after he contacted me for some help. It was failing to extract quite regularly. So, I spent some time researching it, and after everything I read and heard from a few trusted industry friends, Ruger semi auto are better suited for range time.

I'm sure they make an ok carry gun once you've proven it reliable at the range, but it seems to be more of a hobby gun. Once it's pushed hard, they seem to not hold up like many comparable firearms do. I'm sure there are many instances out there where there have been no failures, but there seems to be more negative stories than I'm comfortable with in a defensive handgun.

By being pushed hard, I don't mean extended range sessions. I mean harsher use where mags are dropped from the gun to the ground, slides are racked hard, shooting from awkward positions and being shot dirty. I judge durability and reliability by those environments where a gun may get banged around and may get dirty. In my situation where a firearm was needed, it was an all out right where the gun was man-handled. It failed after the first round.

Edit - I apologize, my experience was with the 9mm...
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links