How many FTF, FTE, Stove Pipes, till you lose confidence in a ccw

This is a discussion on How many FTF, FTE, Stove Pipes, till you lose confidence in a ccw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My first gun purchase was a kel-tec p3at. Right out of the box it refused to fire, (light strike). I tore it apart and lubed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How many FTF, FTE, Stove Pipes, till you lose confidence in a ccw

How many FTF, FTE, Stove Pipes, till you lose confidence in a ccw

My first gun purchase was a kel-tec p3at. Right out of the box it refused to fire, (light strike). I tore it apart and lubed it. Still the same result. I had to cut the firing pin spring a little at a time till it fired. Now it light strikes once in every 2 clips full. Still, I cant trust it in the back of my mind. All the other guns I bought had a spent cartridge showing it was tested. Now I have a S&W 642 and love it. OK, done bashing Keltec. Anyone else have a lemon right out of the box?

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry your first post had to be a negative one, but "life happens." Did you try contacting Kel-Tec for support before resorting to home gunsmithing? I understand their customer service is above average.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Yes, 2 S&W PPK's. Liked the gun a lot, just could not trust it.

NMB
    Quote Originally Posted by sebring View Post
    My first gun purchase was a kel-tec p3at. Right out of the box it refused to fire, (light strike). I tore it apart and lubed it. Still the same result. I had to cut the firing pin spring a little at a time till it fired. Now it light strikes once in every 2 clips full. Still, I cant trust it in the back of my mind. All the other guns I bought had a spent cartridge showing it was tested. Now I have a S&W 642 and love it. OK, done bashing Keltec. Anyone else have a lemon right out of the box?
    Some KelTecs run like champs, most however do not it seems. I had a PF9 and a P3at and neither one could be counted on.

And correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt cutting coils off your firing pin spring weaken its tension? Thus resulting in less force going into the primer, making your problem worse?
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

That sounds like a nightmare.

I have a DB9, another micro gun that has had it's share of problems. Mine functions 100% with my carry ammo, but will hang up with some range ammo here and there. From what I've seen it's been a combination of getting the gun dirty after firing a few mags through it and then using brass that's not completely clean. I still trust it for pocket carry when I need it, as I've proven it will feed the nickel plated defensive ammo 100% even when others might jam constantly.

I wouldn't trust something that fails every two Magazines. I want a minimum of 200 rounds malfunction free before carrying. OT, it's a magazine, not a clip. Also, if this is your first gun,why are you acting as a gunsmith and cutting the spring?
    Once, pittypat21 and DMan like this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    You should have called Kel Tec, based on my experience and many other folks they have an outstanding customer service and stand behind their products. I have a P3AT that i sometimes carry as a BUG and it has been flawless.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Welcome to the forum!

I think many of us have had weapons we thought were lemons until they got broken in. Never owned, or shot, a Kel-Tec, however.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    And correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt cutting coils off your firing pin spring weaken its tension?
    Nope. Cutting coils off a spring increases the spring rate - but it might make the spring too short for its intended use.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I trimmed the spring because the place where I bought it said it would cost 50 bucks to send it to kel-tec.

VIP Member
    Get a revolver"
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

For my taste it is fine if it happens initially and can be corrected. I bought a Colt 1911 and it had some issues with the sear spring. Took it to my smith, he explained the issue, 400 rds later it works great, so I would require a situation like that. Feww hundred trouble free rounds and consistent performance at the range and it will get my nod.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Administrator
    The very first thing to do if you are getting light strikes is to try a different brand of ammo. Because sometimes the problem is overly hard primers with one specific ammo brand... rather than light primer strikes.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sebring View Post
    PF9, went from bad to worse to closet queen, all in a very short period of time.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I sent kel-tec an email about the problem. I'll see what they can do. If they fix it, and I can get 100 rounds without incident, then it would make a great backup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links