I'm going to start carrying a Glock

This is a discussion on I'm going to start carrying a Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glock 19's are what I carry. For holsters, I recommend this one, for which there can often be a long wait: The Brommeland Max-Con V, ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I'm going to start carrying a Glock

VIP Member
    Glock 19's are what I carry. For holsters, I recommend this one, for which there can often be a long wait:
    The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube
    And this one:
    The Perfect Kydex IWB Holster
    Which has about a two-week turnaround.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

My Gen 4 19 runs perfect. A set of Trijicon HDs, and she was set.

VIP Member
    You'll be pleased with the G19. I am impressed with pretty much everything about mine. It's reliable and KISS simple.

My last carry gun I used at convertible IBW/OWB holster and I'm going to say this: I like having two holsters over one that 'does it all'.

I carry IWB in a Bladetech Nano and I carry OWB in an X-Concealment OWB "C" series.

If you are really sold on the idea of having one holster do both, I believe X-Concealment has a version of the "C" that is set up to do both.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Good choice. Look at a Theis holster for IWB.
    FloridaBiker likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    You'll be pleased with the G19. I am impressed with pretty much everything about mine. It's reliable and KISS simple.

My last carry gun I used at convertible IBW/OWB holster and I'm going to say this: I like having two holsters over one that 'does it all'.

I carry IWB in a Bladetech Nano and I carry OWB in an X-Concealment OWB "C" series.

If you are really sold on the idea of having one holster do both, I believe X-Concealment has a version of the "C" that is set up to do both.
    I have an X-Concealment which I would recommend to anyone looking for a high rider. Too high for me, but a decent holster.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Whatever works for you. If it is a Glock good for you. No one make or model works for everyone. My personal preference is DA/SA.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    G30 sf here. It's my primary and I carry it either OWB in a black Galco or IWB in a Blackhawk fabric holster or the N8 2 tactile. Very accurate. It's a bit of a brick but I'm ok with that.

The moment I stopped letting my ego get wrapped up in my carry guns, I put the Kimbers in the safe and strapped a Glock to my hip. Never have regretted that decision. It will serve you well.

I only wonder if a 9mm is lethal enough........
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    The moment I stopped letting my ego get wrapped up in my carry guns, I put the Kimbers in the safe and strapped a Glock to my hip. Never have regretted that decision. It will serve you well.

I only wonder if a 9mm is lethal enough........
    Haha. No the 9mm is the cartridge for me. I acknowledge that there are balistically superior calibers but the 9mm works for me more than any other semi auto caliber. I do miss having a .45 though.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    ME too !!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Good choice of gun there, I am sure you will enjoy it.

I carry a G19. I used to carry a XD subcompact .40, but like the Glock platform much better
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by darebear View Post
    So... I'm deciding to carry a Glock 19... What's that got to do with the price of rice and why should you care? Eh. I don't know. I just thought I would share that my USPc 9mm is probably going to go in the safe (or might be traded for a P30) and I'm going to carry a Glock. I have been practicing and practicing shooting DA/SA and yes I am good with my USPc but I can be just as proffecient* with a Glock as my USPc and I can do it in less time. I posted a thread on here a while back about how I was nervous with carrying a striker fire gun, but my irrational fear of guns just firing rounds without the trigger being pulled is gone.

I chose to carry a Glock over my HK (or any other handgun) for a few reasons. I can put more rounds on target faster with a Glock then I can with a DA/SA. Glock's low bore axis and built feels good in my hand when I'm shooting, I can mitigate the Glock recoil better than I can my HK. I like the option of having some type of laser system that I can conviently* attach the rail and fit into a holster. This is not a HK or DA/SA bashing, it's just that for me the Glock edges out my USPc when it comes to how I perform with both guns. I'll always keep atleast one HK, and it probably will be the one I already have.

Now with my backstory and reasons explained why I'm switching my carry gun to a Glock all I have to do is go get one. Here's what I would like.
    -Glock 19 Gen 4... Are the Gen 4's okay to buy now? Is the spring issue fixed? What should I look for when buying used Glocks or should I be ok to go buying new?
    -A versatile Kydex carrying system. One that I can wear @ 2 o clock IWB and wear @ 3,4,5 o clock OWB
    -Few extra mag's (that goes without saying)
    -Laser device. Can anyone recommend* a laser device? I don't like the look of the Crimson Trace grip laser on the Glocks, the M&P Crimson Trace looks sexier.

Thanks for any advice and if there is anyone reading that would like to share their experience carrying a Glock please do.

*incorrect spelling
    Here is pic of my G19 with CT 452 green laser. It is much easier to see in bright conditons than the CT red on my 1911. 402 rounds, mixed ammo, no issues.

IMGP6396.jpgIMGP6397.jpg
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Apex Tactical has come up with a fix if you do end up with a Gen 4 that has ejection/brass to face problems that the factory can't fix. From what I've been reading, their Failure Resistant Extractor has been fixing the vast majority of problem pistols.

https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid67.html

VIP Member
    Everyone changes their mind at one time or another. I carry a 19 with an M-3 pistol light here and while at home carry the same thing however I also carry a variety of firearms just all depends on what I am going to be doing at the time.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links