I'm going to start carrying a Glock

This is a discussion on I'm going to start carrying a Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So... I'm deciding to carry a Glock 19... What's that got to do with the price of rice and why should you care? Eh. I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I'm going to start carrying a Glock

I'm going to start carrying a Glock

So... I'm deciding to carry a Glock 19... What's that got to do with the price of rice and why should you care? Eh. I don't know. I just thought I would share that my USPc 9mm is probably going to go in the safe (or might be traded for a P30) and I'm going to carry a Glock. I have been practicing and practicing shooting DA/SA and yes I am good with my USPc but I can be just as proffecient* with a Glock as my USPc and I can do it in less time. I posted a thread on here a while back about how I was nervous with carrying a striker fire gun, but my irrational fear of guns just firing rounds without the trigger being pulled is gone.

I chose to carry a Glock over my HK (or any other handgun) for a few reasons. I can put more rounds on target faster with a Glock then I can with a DA/SA. Glock's low bore axis and built feels good in my hand when I'm shooting, I can mitigate the Glock recoil better than I can my HK. I like the option of having some type of laser system that I can conviently* attach the rail and fit into a holster. This is not a HK or DA/SA bashing, it's just that for me the Glock edges out my USPc when it comes to how I perform with both guns. I'll always keep atleast one HK, and it probably will be the one I already have.

Now with my backstory and reasons explained why I'm switching my carry gun to a Glock all I have to do is go get one. Here's what I would like.
    -Glock 19 Gen 4... Are the Gen 4's okay to buy now? Is the spring issue fixed? What should I look for when buying used Glocks or should I be ok to go buying new?
    -A versatile Kydex carrying system. One that I can wear @ 2 o clock IWB and wear @ 3,4,5 o clock OWB
    -Few extra mag's (that goes without saying)
    -Laser device. Can anyone recommend* a laser device? I don't like the look of the Crimson Trace grip laser on the Glocks, the M&P Crimson Trace looks sexier.

Thanks for any advice and if there is anyone reading that would like to share their experience carrying a Glock please do.

*incorrect spelling
    aus71383 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Good deal. The G19 is a proven platform. I think you'll be happy with it.

I think its safe to get a gen4. I haven't heard of any problems for some time now. I have zero doubts that if they were still malfunctioning, you'd see a fair share of posts describing problems as well as bashing the franchise.

From what I have seen locally, Glocks hold their value very well. They do this so much to the point, I would gladly spend a little extra and get a new one.

Good luck on finding any extra magazines for it right now. With the buying frenzy that's in place, everyone is sold out. You can still order them from Brownells but they are on backorder and there's no mention as to when they will ship. Brownells will not charge you until they ship so if an AWB comes into play and they never ship them to you, you're not out of anything. If an AWB does go through and they ban hi-cap mags, you still may get your mags. The Brownell's customer service rep told me that it all depends on how the law is written. She said the last time there was a ban, they could still sell and ship mags that were made prior to the ban - the mags had a date stamped on them, etc.

Congrats on getting a new addition and if you get a chance, post pics!
    TX expat likes this.

IMO, you won't regret the decision. I have several carry guns to choose from and ever since I picked it up, my favorite above all else is my G 19 Gen 4... By far the best shooting pistol I own.. The felt recoil is less than the Gen 3 and the grip reduction is perfect for medium sized hands. My only gripe with the Glock prior to the Gen 4 was the grip, now that that's been taken care of, I'm a Glock fanatic and I can only attribute it t the Gen 4, more so to the G19. I can't say enough good things about it really; just that if you haven't shot one, you really should. I say if you can find a Gen4 G19 snag it before the next guy picks it up, because the odds are he'll say, I'll take it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Good deal. The G19 is a proven platform. I think you'll be happy with it.

I think its safe to get a gen4. I haven't heard of any problems for some time now. I have zero doubts that if they were still malfunctioning, you'd see a fair share of posts describing problems as well as bashing the franchise.

From what I have seen locally, Glocks hold their value very well. They do this so much to the point, I would gladly spend a little extra and get a new one.

Good luck on finding any extra magazines for it right now. With the buying frenzy that's in place, everyone is sold out. You can still order them from Brownells but they are on backorder and there's no mention as to when they will ship. Brownells will not charge you until they ship so if an AWB comes into play and they never ship them to you, you're not out of anything. If an AWB does go through and they ban hi-cap mags, you still may get your mags. The Brownell's customer service rep told me that it all depends on how the law is written. She said the last time there was a ban, they could still sell and ship mags that were made prior to the ban - the mags had a date stamped on them, etc.

Congrats on getting a new addition and if you get a chance, post pics!
    Yea. I'm ok with several mags, nothing major. Unfortunately I am now subject to high priced Glocks and accesories, I should have been more diligent about preparing so now I have to pay the price... literally.

New Glocks come with 3 mags right? I'll be ok with picking up 3 or 4 more.

Re: I'm going to start carrying a Glock

Does the Koolaid taste how you thought it would? :D

I believe normal sale Glocks get two mags, and Blue label and the GSSF program (red label?) get three mags.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Gen. 4's come with 3. As far as multi-position holsters, better to get two that really specialize in IWB/OWB than one that does neither as well as it could.
    atctimmy, DRM and mkh like this.

KoB

Re: I'm going to start carrying a Glock

LOL...if this is the same Darebear from HK Pro who flip flops from various HK's to Glock then back to HK (witness this from reading HK Pro threads)...by May of 2013 you'll be posting about coming back to HK!

I hope you find a 9mm that your finally comfortable with...hint P2000!

KMB, I

You asked about a laser. LaserMax makes one that replaces your recoil spring and tube. The slide stop (the one you pull down to remove the slide) becomes the on/off switch by pushing it to the right or left. The laser pulsates which makes it even more visible than a steady beam. I'm not as in love with laser sights as I used to be, but they can be very nice in some circumstances.

The gen 4 is fine now. Comes with three mags. I adore mine.

Quote Originally Posted by KoB View Post
    LOL...if this is the same Darebear from HK Pro who flip flops from various HK's to Glock then back to HK (witness this from reading HK Pro threads)...by May of 2013 you'll be posting about coming back to HK!

I hope you find a 9mm that your finally comfortable with...hint P2000!

KMB, I
    Yea same guy.

I came here to gather advice from other shooters that don't just shoot or own HK's. Can't really talk about non HK stuff on HKpro and Glocktalk is probably my least favourite website. But let me explain something here. I've been shooting for almost 4 years now, in my short 4 years I did go back and forth and flipped flopped... In efforts to own the best "hardware" out there, succumbing to peer pressure amongst fellow shooters that says "Carry this, everything else is junk". In my short 4 years of shooting I may have went back and forth between different guns but my decisions were all in a attempt to climb the ladder of success, striking the perfect balance between a reliable, versatile platform and also carrying something that WORKS FOR ME. I've said alot of stupid things on forums, switched carry guns, looked for validation from fellow shooters about what I own and shoot, but I also have enough humility in me to say when I was wrong, admit my mistakes, and admit that I did succumb to peer pressure and the fan boys. I'm growing in this, trying to make sound decisions but more importantly making decisions that work for me. Carrying a gun not because of its looks (even though I think Glocks are uggo), or the name on the slide but because I am more proffecient with that gun than any other gun I own.

I've had PM conversations with several HKpro members that struggled with the same thing I did. Carrying a HK because it is a HK, and it was a blow to their ego when they realized that they were more proffecient with a non HK gun. Ask JD about me and my HK45c struggles. I owned and sold 4 HK45c's all at different times. It took a few conversation with JD to help me realize... 'Maybe this gun and caliber isn't for me... atleast not at this point in my life' and as much as I miss and love the HK45c I'm serious enough about being the best conceal carry citizen that I can that I refuse to buy/carry a gun because of how it will make me feel and am focusing on buying/carrying a gun because of how good I am with it.

So in short, yea I flipped flopped alot in the past. Hkpro was the first forum I joined... I was 23, I was uneducated about firearms, I tried to impress, I valued hardware over software and I was searching for my niche' by watching Youtube, reading posts from Forum Warriors and talking to Gun Shop owners that would say stuff like "A .45 hit to the bad guy's pinky will drop him"... But (and I say this with humility) I have seen more progress in my 4 years of becoming a better shooter, gun owner and gun carrier than some guys who has been at this for way longer than I have. Am I saying Glock is the be all and end all of my carry guns? Absolutely not! But right now, at this point in my life I can shoot a Glock better than I can ANY handgun I have practiced with and to me that's more important than anything my beautiful, reliable, over engineered, bomb proof HK can provide me.
    gottabkiddin and Kilowatt3 like this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    A Glock 19 is is a hard one to beat for a EDC.

I applaud your honesty.

Nothing wrong with changing your mind, and you really don't have to justify it to anyone, or have your decisions validated. If it works for you, and you are happy with it, nobody else's opinion really matters my friend. One of these days you'll graduate to .45ACP (because they don't make a 46), and you'll wonder why you were carrying that pea shooter for so long. hahah Just kidding. Can't resist poking that bear.

Train like you fight, fight like you train. Sounds to me like you are on the right path. Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

You made a great choice. Everybody changes their minds. We continue to learn all our lives. Well, some do anyway!

I hated plastic guns when they first came out. Blue steel and wood grips and 45acp for me! It took a while but I only carry plastic now. And I don't even own a 45 anymore.
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darebear View Post
    I can shoot a Glock better than I can ANY handgun I have practiced with.
    This ^ is what matters.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I carry a G19 when I am home in the states. I trust it 100%

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links