S&W M&P - your opinion on a minor detail

S&W M&P - your opinion on a minor detail

This is a discussion on S&W M&P - your opinion on a minor detail within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Leaving aside all the controversy over S&W (does any company but GLOCK have as much??) I was looking at the ad for the Smith and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P - your opinion on a minor detail

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Post S&W M&P - your opinion on a minor detail

Leaving aside all the controversy over S&W (does any company but GLOCK have as much??) I was looking at the ad for the Smith and Wesson M&P line in this month's "America's 1st Freedom" (which arrived today)...

On the left side of the slide, for both of the autos (there's a full size and what they are calling a sub-compact) stamped into the slide is the word "STAINLESS".

Does anyone else feel the way I do, that stamping "STAINLESS" on the gun is pretty stupid? I mean, they don't stamp "High-tech polymer" on the frame of a GLOCK.

This reminds me of how some car companies put really silly marketing/gimmicky things on odd places on their cars -- singling out some feature of the car's design that is so incidental to the overall car as a whole as to be ludicrous. Like door handles that have the words "dual overhead cam" written into them, or on the back of a Chevy Lumina where the little plastic logo glued on says "anti-lock brakes". (In a world where ALL new cars come with ABS, cars like that look really silly.)

The fact that S&W put "STAINLESS" on the slide in big, noticeable letters like that really puts me off the gun. Well, I wasn't on my way out to buy one anyway, but this sort of clinches my decision.

Obviously this is a personal-taste issue: I recognize that it doesn't affect the functional use of the gun one iota. But how do you feel about these gimmicks, and why?

Would you rather they had imprinted, in large letters, some safety message like: "DO NOT DISCHARGE PISTOL WHILE POINTED IN AN UNSAFE DIRECTION", or "THIS FIREARM NOT TO BE USED IN THE COMMISSION OF A FELONY"?

STAINLESS sounds like a pretty benign marking to me, given the possibilities of what could be there... You're right, it's a personal taste issue, for it doesn't bother me at all.

On the upside, I've heard good feedback about the M&P. A shooting friend whose opinion I respect has done some shooting with one and told me it would be an excellent buy. I've handled one at Gander Mountain and really liked the feel; I look forward to shooting one sometime.

I am sure for S&W it is strictly a marketing decision so the "less informed" purchaser won't worry about rust... The finish on my Glock 23 was worn off years ago and I can't tell you how many other shooters at the range have commented on that I should get it refinished so it doesn't rust...

Well, it's not like it WAS a choice between those two things. They could have just printed nothing more than what is usually on a gun's slide, like make, model, serial number, caliber...

Sure, it's better than a big billboard of a warning, but why do either?

Sure, it's better than a big billboard of a warning, but why do either?
    I retired from a career in sales and marketing, so whenever such a question enters my mind, I consider that they probably know more about the marketing/sale of firearms than I do, so I then roll over and go back to sleep.

So do Sig, Kimber and maybe others

Actually, it is fairly common for manufacturers to put the word "stainless" on the stainless steel slides of semiauto pistols. Besides the S&W M&P, Sig does this on the P229 model, and Kimber on the Custom Stainless II model. I suspect there are others. I presume that they consider it a selling point because of corrosion resistance.

Administrator
    I wonder if they picked that up from the Knife Industry...since historically all of the Stainless knife blades used to be stamped STAINLESS STEEL.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Now, with knife blades, they often stamp the kind of stainless steel used (or the carbon steel used, for that matter) since there are so very many; and lots of users like to know the kind used because they are informed about the properties of this steel or that steel and may want a specific one for a given purpose.

I still don't get it, as far as a gun slide is concerned. I think it just looks gimmicky and tacky. I was not aware that it was done by Sig and Kimber, though -- that was news to me. Ugh.
    Last edited by peacefuljeffrey; October 17th, 2006 at 10:56 PM.

It didn't turn me off. While not necessary (for me) I think it is functional information for care of the gun. Gun care issues aside, some people might treat a stainless gun differently than a non-stainless gun. I doubt there are many firearm enthusiasts who know enough metallurgy to tell the difference between a stainless or carbon steel slide (especially when it is covered in melonite or something similiar), though I could be wrong. It is stamped on the slide in case the manual is lost or not transferred with the firearm. Or it could be a blatant marketing ploy.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

After I looked at Pogo2's pictures I was reminiscing and flipping through some pictures from a trip west this summer...IT'S EVERYWHERE!

Waiiiitaminute!

VIP Member
    So you know the slide is not alu alloy

well...Sig mentions that the 239 frame is "Made in Germany" though I can differ with what they're saying, as I've seen the frames being made in a location, other than Germany.......MUST be a marketing ploy for BOTH Comanies (Smith and Sig)
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Lead Moderator
    So ya know it cannot be suggled thru airports like those plastic glocks. .................Atleast it doesn't have a hemi......
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links