Got My New Wheel Gun on Friday!

This is a discussion on Got My New Wheel Gun on Friday! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I finally strayed from the path of the semi auto. I purchased an SP101 .357 mag 3" barrel online just prior to the new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Got My New Wheel Gun on Friday!

Got My New Wheel Gun on Friday!

Well, I finally strayed from the path of the semi auto. I purchased an SP101 .357 mag 3" barrel online just prior to the new year and it arrived at the FFL yesterday. Admittedly, I'd been looking at the SP for a while, but with the current political situation and after having read what the Wicked Witch of the West has proposed in the Senate (and realizing that everyone of my carry pistols fit some description of what she wants banned regulated, done away with, removed, expunged or whatever), I decided to go ahead and make the purchase.

Either way, I'm impressed! The SP is built like a tank, very solid feel. Honestly, I'd expected a much rougher trigger, surprisingly, it isn't too bad. Maybe since I'm used to shooting DA/SA pistols already. I'd been looking at sending it off right away for some work, but now, I figure I'll dryfire it awhile and shoot it awhile before I make any drastic decisions there. Sat around last night dry firing the pistol, drove my wife crazy. Though, I think I need to guard it carefully, as she was casting covetous glances in the SP's direction.

I can see now why the SPs are so hard to find...mine was manufactured in the first week of December and was sold to me prior to the end of the month! From what I've found out, they're moving as fast as the gun shops get them in. Can't wait now for the holster to come in. Ordered a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar, should be another week according to their schedule.

If the weather warms up a bit, I'll get some .38 and some .357 and take it out to the range and give it a proper welcome to the family!

sioux565 and wmhawth like this.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Great looking gun. Let us know more after you become aqquainted.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Never can go wrong with a Ruger revolver.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have the exact same gun...you'll love it!
    I put a Trigicon night sight on mine for point shooting in dim light and some wood grips.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Like the man said, "Bill Ruger don't make no *****". Good for you.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Beautiful

you have chosen wisely
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have the exact same gun...you'll love it!I put a Trigicon night sight on mine for point shooting in dim light and some wood grips.
    Those are the two mods I want to first. Replacing the front sight with a Meprolight would necessitate my having to get a drill press...that's my story and I'm sticking to it! On a more serious note, what wood grips do you have? The stock grips are definitely a bit small for me.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Beautiful gun!
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Very nice.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Ruger builds some nice revolvers. I've got a 4" GP100 that I bought the year they discontinued the Six Series guns. I've since picked up a Speed Six and Security Six snubbies.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

i own its twin brother. rugers are fantastic revolvers. it seems to me either the 3" are rare or more coveted by those who own them. i see 2" sp101s all the time but it took me awhile to find a 3 incher.

Welcome to the club..have the 2.25" version myself!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Cool

I have added a Big Dot front sight,Wolff springs and a set of Pachmayr Compac grips on mine and carry Speer Gold Dots for SD.

I carry it in a Side Guard Quick Clip holster with HKS speed loaders.

photo.jpgphoto.jpgphoto.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

I believe you will be very happy with your SP-101.

Regards,

FlaRon
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Distinguished Member
    Congrats! Looks sweet.

Just joined the wheel gun club myself, pics and a thread will be posted soon.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links