Just picked up my new carry gun. SA LW Operator Champion 1911

This is a discussion on Just picked up my new carry gun. SA LW Operator Champion 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Excellent purchase!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Just picked up my new carry gun. SA LW Operator Champion 1911

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Excellent purchase!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Thanks guys. I did a lot of research prepurchase and it feels good to have some more backing. I enjoy going to gun stores and seeing people purchasing with no previous research or anything. Just going in blind. So thank you gents/ladies.

I took my TLR-1 off my XD Service (nightstand gun) to see how she'd look in person on the .45 (been Googling the Images section for .45's with TLR's and X300's for months now) It is awesome seeing it in person. Now to just order my RCS Phantom to match my SA XD Subcompacts RCS holster and I'll be set. Range report to come soon!
    MikeXD40

Range Report.

So I got a chance to run by the range today, and I literally mean run by. I was only there for an hour and a half.
    First, I put some of my 223's through the AR to see how she liked the new loads I pressed. She did awesome as usual. Strangely, I had a hang fire with a mag of factory ammunition that I was using as side by side comparison with my reloads. It was just a 1 second pause in between "pull" and "bang" but still not my favorite thing to hear.

Then went to the pistol range. It was time for my new baby to make her debut. Well, I put some 9mm's down range to get warmed up, well I tried to put some 9's down range. I had a batch of 9mm's that I pressed where the primer appears to be seated too far in and I don't get a bang, just a light hammer strike on the primer. It was frustrating. Out of the 20 or so attempts, 1 FIRED!!!! Darn it darn it darn it.

Then .40 S&W, XD Subcompact. My daily carry now. It went off without a hitch as it always has. That little pistol is a sure shootin' son of a gun.

So now I was onto my 1911 from Springfield Armory. First shot was amazing and basically it went that way the rest of the afternoon. It was 20 degrees and windy so I only put 55 rounds through it but they all went amazing. I was shooting some store bought Winchester 230 grain "Training" loads. Frankly, the only reason I bought ammo was because I put off buying my RCBS dies for .45 till this weekend and everywhere I went dies for .45 were sold out. Darn it again. Then after realizing I couldn't press my own, I would have to buy ammo (BOOOO - I love to press ammo instead of buying it) I went to get some and Wally World literally had a few random boxes of various loads and most of the ammo cabinet was sold out, same at Bass Pro and I got the last pick on what was available at BP. Regardless, I'll be pressing my own .45's when they get dies back in stock.

Springfield Armory makes a great product. This is my first 1911 and most of the time, my first day out with a pistol is getting used to quirks and working kinks out but I kept darn good groups at 7 YDS. I am not, nor will I ever attest to being a PRO and achieving super tight groups at 25 YDS. I train for the upclose shots that I feel comfortable taking.

For shooting a 230 grain bullet out of a .45, I didn't have a bunch of muzzle jump even with it being a lightweight frame. I was able to keep good control though out the shot and able to get back on target quickly. the trigger pull is very good, not to heavy and not to light. Sights took 2 shots to get myself on with them, first was low, then when aiming at the same location I was in the exact same spot I knew where the sights were with my eyes.

I never had a FTE, I had one FTF when I put a fresh mag in a slammed her home to start again, just a slight pull back got the caing back into where it needed to be and we were rolling again.

I put my Streamlight TLR-1 on about a half way through to see how the weight would be. It was very nice to handle and was not nose heavy. It balanced the gun nicely in my hands. I already ordered my Raven Holster for the 1911 with the light and it will be my primary carry once it is here.

All in all, it was a great time shooting the Lightweight Operator. I've always been gunshy, sorry for the pun, of .45's as this HUGE bullet, knock you on your butt-load...... Needless to say, I have been changed on that and I will be carrying it full time after I get my RCS in. It is too nice and fits me too good not to do it.

MikeXD40

Congrats on a great gun! Good luck finding dies. I went to Sportsmans Warehouse the day the truck came in and found RCBS carbide dies there for $50, plus you get free bullets with every $50 spent of RCBS stuff. ;)

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links