Question after first range trip

This is a discussion on Question after first range trip within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After much searching for my first handgun purchase I settled on the Ruger SR40C...it just feels like it belongs in my hand! I took it ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By tacman605

Thread: Question after first range trip

Question after first range trip

After much searching for my first handgun purchase I settled on the Ruger SR40C...it just feels like it belongs in my hand! I took it to the range today for the first time and shot a box of 50 pretty quick...lol. The gun worked like a champ EXCEPT the first shot from every mag would fly wild. Actually, the first 2 or 3 from the gun were wild and I was getting ready to set the sites when it settled down and started putting them all right on the bulls eye. Shot 15 and when I switched to the 9 shot mag again, the first shot was wild and then it was back to normal. Ended up happening every time I swapped mags.

I did not clean the gun before shooting since my lgs advised not to until broken in. I went ahead and tore it down when I got home and it was caked with lube inside....I cleaned it up and put it back together. Could the excess lube have caused this or any other ideas? I plan on picking up another couple hundred rounds and hitting the range as soon as possible to see what happens but I didn't know if what I am experiencing is normal or not. Any ideas?

2. Remove Ads

Sometimes the way the first round is chambered affects where it goes. Were you using the slide release exclusively to drop the slide, or did you "slingshot" it, or did it not make a difference?

Particularly with compact guns, I make a point to load the empty gun with the slide forward, and then I slingshot the slide to chamber the first round - but making sure that the slide comes all the way back before releasing it.

If one mag is longer than the other, you may also be gripping the gun differently with the different mags. Excess lube wouldn't affect the first round from a mag and not the others.

I'd give the gun a few more boxes of ammo to see if it settles in, and to make sure it's not sensitive to one magazine and not others. If it continues to throw the first shot wild, give Ruger a call and see what they'll do for you.
    archer51 and rugergunner like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I was bringing the slide all the way back and I don't think I was just letting it fly either to to really jam the first shell in there. Guess I need to not baby the gun and let it do its thing. I will try that and report back.

It was probably grease in the barrel. Just two weeks ago a buddy and I shot his brand new ruger p95. It wouldnt group at all and he said he hadn't cleaned the barrel yet. I ran a patch through the barrel and the groups instantly shrank to around 3'' at 20 yards. Scrub that barrel clean and give it another shot. Good luck

Never had the problem, but I always clean them down, etc. before ever shooting them the first time.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    All semi auto firearms when the first round is chambered tend to have a different POA/POI than the rounds that follow after. Now in handguns this difference is usually marginal simply because of the ranges involved when shooting a handgun.

The second and following rounds after the gun, mechanically times itself and chambers the round itself, go back to the weapons POA/POI. This is the reason that semi auto sniper rifles are so expensive. The first round cold bore shot is the same as all the others no matter if you use the bolt release, or the charging handle. Semi auto pistols are the same until the gun chambers the round itself there may be a shift from the first round to the next.

Many times when shooting for accuracy or testing a gun for accuracy the first round will be fired as a spoiler into the berm or a secondary target in order for the actual group to be the best possible.

Again with handguns the difference is normally small you did not specify how wild the bullet went but it should not have been more than an inch out.
    Jaybm likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I'd be inclined to blame the shooter rather than the gun. Your first "wild" shots weren't down and to the left, by any chance, were they?

Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Sometimes the way the first round is chambered affects where it goes.
    I was not aware of this. I have heard people say it's better to sling shot the slide to chamber a round but I always thought that had to do with it being easier to manipulate the slide in a stressful situation then manipulate the slide stop.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I was not aware of this. I have heard people say it's better to sling shot the slide to chamber a round but I always thought that had to do with it being easier to manipulate the slide in a stressful situation then manipulate the slide stop.
    FWIW, the Kahr manual recommends using the slide lock to chamber the first round...
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And Glock says either way. So what manner you use is a matter of choice and opinion. Someone would have to sit down and explain the mechanical physics of why the first round would shoot differently. I do know match shooters clean/shoot the oil out of the barrel on the first shot, knowing it will shoot differently, but that because of the oil, not because of the manner by which it chambers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    It could be many things. If your new to shooting maybe you anticipate recoil on the first few rounds until you settle down. Try it from a rested position to reduce shooter error and see if it makes a difference. Sometimes it's a process of elimination.

Thanks for all the advice, lots of food for thought to.chew on my next range trip. As for the wild flyer, sometimes it was to the right, sometimes low. Never high or to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
    FWIW, the Kahr manual recommends using the slide lock to chamber the first round...
    Yep, I saw that . I've also experimented (well, whaddya expect a test engineer to do?) with both my K40 and CW9 and regardless of ammo, and it makes no difference. What might differ, though, is that I'm pretty vigorous about charging the weapon and the slide is always brought completely to the back of its rearward travel. Not just with my Kahrs, with all of 'em.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Sometimes the way the first round is chambered affects where it goes. Were you using the slide release exclusively to drop the slide, or did you "slingshot" it, or did it not make a difference?

Particularly with compact guns, I make a point to load the empty gun with the slide forward, and then I slingshot the slide to chamber the first round - but making sure that the slide comes all the way back before releasing it.

If one mag is longer than the other, you may also be gripping the gun differently with the different mags. Excess lube wouldn't affect the first round from a mag and not the others.

I'd give the gun a few more boxes of ammo to see if it settles in, and to make sure it's not sensitive to one magazine and not others. If it continues to throw the first shot wild, give Ruger a call and see what they'll do for you.
    Good advice here!
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Links