CW9 or CW40? - Page 2

CW9 or CW40?

This is a discussion on CW9 or CW40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CharlesMorri I think that people who complain about the .40 recoil just haven't invested the time with that caliber. I have the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: CW9 or CW40?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorri View Post
    I think that people who complain about the .40 recoil just haven't invested the time with that caliber.
    I have the S&W M&P FS .40 and I don't find it any snappier than the 9mm with +P loadings.
    The .40 caliber has an impressive array of choices for carry loads.
    Everything from .357 Sig type loadings to the 180grn FBI load.
    The .40 may require a little more training to master but it is certainly nothing that can't be handled.
    It's not that the recoil is that much heavier, it is the dynamic of it. The .40 as a strong muzzle flip, the .45 recoil is a push back. I injured my strong side wrist several years back. I had shot .40 for quite some time. Due to the muzzle flip I am no longer to effectively shoot the .40. Half a box and my wrist will hurt for 2 or 3 days. I can shoot hundreds of round of .45 with no problems.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I think that people who complain about the .40 recoil just haven't invested the time with that caliber.
    I have the S&W M&P FS .40 and I don't find it any snappier than the 9mm with +P loadings.
    The .40 caliber has an impressive array of choices for carry loads.
    Everything from .357 Sig type loadings to the 180grn FBI load.
    The .40 may require a little more training to master but it is certainly nothing that can't be handled.
    I think people that make blanket statements about people they don't know are foolish.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

CW9 or CW40?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Mainly because of my criteria of being under 24 ounces loaded and no thumb safety or grip safety.
    I sold a Shield to get my CM9, and I couldn't be happier. I'm sure the cw9 is even better.

Re: CW9 or CW40?

Rollo, I've read enough of your posts to know that reliability is a primary consideration. Thus, I would have to caution you about buying a CW without trying it first (unless you don't mind selling later if it doesn't work out).

I've tested Kahrs CW9, PM9 and K9 at the range when narrowing down my carry choice. The only one that has been flawless for me is the K9, which I've tried several times so far. But, it's probably heavier than your stated criteria. I remember having multiple issues with the CW9, including: My thumb kept hitting the mag release button by accident, the slide would either lock back prematurely or close on an empty chamber (it was a couple years ago so I'm not sure), my grip kept shifting after firing a few rounds (I think because of a small diameter.. even though my hands are on the smaller side). Anyway, that was just my experience. All those issues can be atttibuted to me, but it wasn't a good match. I'm in no way trying to bash Kahr firearms. Just pointing out that it would be best to try one first. Again, the K9 has been a solid performer for me.

Btw, I went from an M&P 9c to an LCR because my 9c had a FTE after about 1000 rounds. After I install an Apex Tactical Failure Resistant Extractor and RAM, I plan to start carrying the 9c again. The LCR conceals waaaay easier though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I owned one for about 6 months. It was a good, reliable gun, for me I had a problem getting my trigger finger pinched between the trigger and frame when the gun recoiled. Seemed like my trigger finger would consistently ride up and get caught between the trigger and trigger groove in frame to the point of getting a blood blister and bleeding after about 30 rounds.

I may have written about it on this forum and no one else had this problem. Finally sold it around the time LC9 was introduced, and I'm really happy with the LC9.

To your question: I would get the 9 mm because I suspect recoil in 40 might be stout.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I own a cw9 and cm9 . Helped a friend run rounds thru his cw40 and shot another guys cw45. If I changed from the cw9 it would be to the little wider cw45 as the 40 shoots well but is slower on double taps and with basic multi shot control.

not much physical difference between the CW9 and the CW40....just a few hundreds of inches difference in width. CW9 is very soft shooting, and the CW40 is pretty snappy. With the right
    load, either will do well. I have the CW9, CM9, CW40, CM40 and CW45. Nice up close and personal self defense pistols....I think they are some of the sharpest looking little carry guns made.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I just got a cw40 , cleaned it and lubed it good and shot
    100 rds without any issues.

love my daily carry CW9. Accurate, light, easy to carry and cheap ammo. I'm 212 lbs, wear at 8:30 IWB. Don't even know its there

I have a PM9 and it has been accurate a solid as a rock from day 1. I sold my jframe because I hated the recoil and I find the PM9 fine. Friends have remarked about how accurate it is for a small gun.

My EDC carry guns are .40s so I like the cartridge. I shot a friends PM40 and to be truthful I would never own it. A huge difference between the 9 and .40 for me.

CW9 or CW40?

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think people that make blanket statements about people they don't know are foolish.
    I think I hurt your feelings! Hey, no big whoop... If you can't handle it then ya just can't handle it!
    That's why they make nine millimeters too!

CW9 or CW40?

Aren't you the same guy who is posting all kinds of gun grabber statements?
    It appears to be the case viewing you similar posts and writing.
    Yeah, saying a 7 round mag is cool and can be done because "you" say its for the good of the people.
    That and the fact that "you" don't think anyone should be allowed to own an AK/AR because it will cut done on mass shootings if no one can own one.

Yeah.... Yeah, that's you. Posting on The High Road with just a little change to your screen name.

I have my eye on you "Timmy". I have my eye on you ......

Yeah, saying a 7 round mag is cool and can be done because "you" say its for the good of the people.
    That and the fact that "you" don't think anyone should be allowed to own an AK/AR because it will cut done on mass shootings if no one can own one.

Yeah.... Yeah, that's you. Posting on The High Road with just a little change to your screen name.

You should go read the stuff he's posted on this site and see if any of that junk sounds like atctimmy... the day that guy says 7 rounds is cool or nobody should own an AR... well, that'll be the day.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member

Nope. Not me. I just Googled my user name to see if someone else has been posting with it and I can't find anything. I pretty much only post here on DC. So, no. It isn't me.

Oh, and I still think making blanket statements about people you don't know is foolish.

I, and many others, have plenty of time shooting the .40. I shoot the .40 frequently in competitions because of power factor and the associated scoring. However, I find that MOST people usually end up having better times when they shoot a 9mm. MOST are affected by the recoil of a .40 even if they do not recognize it. It's only when you get a shot timer and shoot similarly specced pistols in both 9mm and .40S&W side by side that you see the difference.

MOST
    people just shoot faster and better with a 9mm. YOUR mileage may vary.

Oh and if there really is someone you think is me then post some links.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member

Atctimmy is a gun-grabber?

Yeah - He gets together with Bark'n and Hotguns to plan their progressive agendas to disarm the population.
    Brad426 and atctimmy like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links