CW9 or CW40?

CW9 or CW40?

This is a discussion on CW9 or CW40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have decided to see if this current single stack crazy is all it's cracked up to be. I have settled on either a Kahr ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: CW9 or CW40?

CW9 or CW40?

I have decided to see if this current single stack crazy is all it's cracked up to be. I have settled on either a Kahr CW9 or CW40. Cost if effectively the same. .40 ammo is a bit more expensive. My real question is shooting it. Unfortunately neither gun is available for rent in my area so I am asking you folks. The kahr is a light gun and I'm worried about the .40 being to snappy to shoot quickly and accurately. I would prefer the .40 ballistics but the best ballistics in the world don't mean squat if you can't put lead on target. Opinions on the two guns?

PS - And I did consider the PPS. I hate the mag release. Also, it's weights almost as much as a G26 so I ruled it out.

Edit - Just found this vid. Looks to me like that CW9 was a lot fast back on target than the .40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UOJl0ycORU

Well, not a LOT fast but somewhat faster
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have the CW9 as my main carry. It is a very soft shooting pistol. The only thing you might want to do is place a rubber sleeve over the grip or alter the sharp serations on the back with something. It is pretty abrasive. After that might has been great. Very reliable and nice sights and trigger. I can't offer anything on the CW40 though.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

If you are fine with paying a little more for ammo then get the CW40.

Out of all the single stack pistols available, what made you narrow it down to those two?

Never shot the CW40. We have both CW9 and CW45, and both shoot really easy. I never saw a need for the rubber sleeve on either one, whereas the PF9 does have a rubber sleeve.

I have skipped the 40 cal. simply because I didn't want another caliberi in the mix. Good luck with your choice, I don't think you will be disappointed with the CW line.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    I have access to and have shot both the CW9 (wife gun) and CW45 (my weekday carry). No experience with the CW40. The .40 caliber in any like gun is going to be snappier than the 9mm. I have a CZ P-01 and P-06. Same gun just the P-01 is 9mm the P-06 is .40. There is a definite difference between how they handle.

If you watch the video again, besides more muzzle flip, watch how long it takes him to come back on target with the .40 compared to the 9 or the .45.

As got2hav1 said, the texturing on the CW guns is very rough. I've got Hogue grip sleeves on both guns to take the bite out of them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post

Out of all the single stack pistols available, what made you narrow it down to those two?
    Rollo is always looking for a new gun to destroy.

J/K Rollo
    OldVet likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post

Mainly because of my criteria of being under 24 ounces loaded and no thumb safety or grip safety.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Rollo is always looking for a new gun to destroy.

J/K Rollo
    Hey! To be fair I haven't broken anything in like... 2 or ... 3 months... n/m
    atctimmy likes this.

I've got a CW9 and K40. The K40 is all-steel, of course, and it weighs 26 ounces empty. The CW9 is a full half-pound lighter. With +P carry ammo, the CW9 recoil is already pretty brisk, so if you're attracted to the lighter weight of the P/CW series Kahrs, I'd go for the 9mm - and I say this as a guy who's not particularly recoil-sensitive.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Handgun makers should have like an Underwriters Laboratory for firearms, you know--the Rollo test. Send him any new model for testing before going into production.

"Our handgun is ISO 9000 approved and has passed the Rollo test!"
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Mainly because of my criteria of being under 24 ounces loaded and no thumb safety or grip safety.
    Same thing I'm looking for. Will definitely be checking these out!

VIP Member
    I have a CW9 and I agree with Gasmitty. The recoil isn't bad with practice ammo but it gets pretty snappy with the good stuff. I don't think I'd like going to a .40. The .40 is known to be snappy in much larger guns, let alone a small, light, polymer pistol.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Rollo - With your luck, I would stay away from Kahr...far, FAR away.

And IIRC, the grip on your G26 (you still have that, right?) is shorter than either of those Kahrs, and the grip length is what gives you printing.

Seriously, between your G26 and LCR, you should have all your bases very well covered.

I still have my PM9, but I'm seriously thinking of selling it off (especially with the current wacky prices) and getting another LCR.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Rollo - With your luck, I would stay away from Kahr...far, FAR away.

And IIRC, the grip on your G26 (you still have that, right?) is shorter than either of those Kahrs, and the grip length is what gives you printing.

Seriously, between your G26 and LCR, you should have all your bases very well covered.

I still have my PM9, but I'm seriously thinking of selling it off (especially with the current wacky prices) and getting another LCR.
    Yes, I still have the 26. I don't have any complaints with it but I'm curious if there is anything to this current single stack craze. If nothing else I can always turn around and sell it. And frankly, I haven't destryed anything in awhile, I'm getting bored :)

Edit - Also, this is a bit of a experiment. The CW's are about 4-6 ounces lighter then the G26. I am interested as to whether it will make a notifiable difference in comfort. In addition, I have always maintained that overall height is more important to printing (like you mentioned) then width is, however I have never really done any tests myself to really say for sure one way or the other.

CW9 or CW40?

I think that people who complain about the .40 recoil just haven't invested the time with that caliber.
    I have the S&W M&P FS .40 and I don't find it any snappier than the 9mm with +P loadings.
    The .40 caliber has an impressive array of choices for carry loads.
    Everything from .357 Sig type loadings to the 180grn FBI load.
    The .40 may require a little more training to master but it is certainly nothing that can't be handled.
    sioux565 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links