Kel-tec PF-9 - Page 2

Kel-tec PF-9

This is a discussion on Kel-tec PF-9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My XDS .45 has less felt palm slap than my PF9 did. It was reliable however....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Kel-tec PF-9

Re: Kel-tec PF-9

My XDS .45 has less felt palm slap than my PF9 did. It was reliable however.

Hey Godawg82, how do you rate the Keltec against the Solo and the PPS? I handled a Keltec for the first time the other day at gun show, and the grip to trigger distance seemed extremely short...like it's meant for a 5'4" woman. Do you like the trigger? I owned a P11 and got rid of it simply because of the atrocious trigger, but the P9 seemed better. Anyway, would just like to hear your comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by sigman25 View Post
    My sister just got her ccw permit, but she still doesn't have a pistol and I stumbled across a kel-tec pf-9 the other day at a gun show. For the type of carrying she will do and the very affordable price point of under $300 is it a good reliable carry gun?
    Ask Travon Martin. No...wait...you can't.
    Last edited by jdf3834; January 7th, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MdMike View Post

Traded it to a local gun shop for a new XDS. Have over 1000 rounds thru the XDS, no issues. Range ammo, self defense ammo, eats it all! And, with the 5 round mags and the
    Pearce grip extensions I put on it it is easier and more gentle to shoot then the PF9.
    I agree with that... the PF9 even though its almost the same size as the XDS to me carries easier but its not near as easy on the shooter... Definitely not a range gun and probably something she wont enjoy shooting. The XDS is more recoil friendly.

Yes mine has been 110% flawless so far , bout two yeas old 700 or so rounds threw it.

Save to get her a better gun. Go to a range that rents guns and try a few different ones. She will need to practice to stay proficiant with it. And the pf-9 wouldnt be my first choice. Check out the new bersa bp9cc. A single stack 9mm that I here is a joy to shoot. Ive got there thunder 380 and its been a great little gun. And bersas customer service is great also. Good lick with your quest.
    WonderBra likes this.

I have three PF-9's, and I like them for what they are, not for what they are not. Very small and fits easily in a pocket of your choice. I did the Keltec fluff and buff on all three before the range
    and have yet to have a failure in any of them. Very accurate, but recoil out of a 12oz gun is substantial as one would expect. They unfortunately, are not a gun for a beginner. The punishing recoil
    will be an immediate turnoff to most new shooters as I have found on several occasions.....every new shooter that I let try my PF-9's freaking hated the gun. I guess I'm just a recoil junky at heart.

Better guns for a newbie:

Kahr CM9
    Kahr CW9
    SW Sheild
    Bersa BP9CC (best of the list)
    Beretta Nano

..the above listed weapons are much more new user friendly than a PF-9, and will provide them with a very nice firearm that they will enjoy at the range as well as for carry.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Five Kel-Tecs in my house, two P3ATs, two PF9s and a P11, all work well. The trigger in the P11 is horrible, a northwoods trigger helps a great deal.

John

My experience is that the PF-9 is a reliable gun. They are a bit hard on the recoil but it isn't intolerable. I can put a couple hundred rounds through it without too much wear on the hand.

As far as learning to shoot the gun. This past weekend another forum member took our CHL class. He was interested in shooting a PF-9, and the CW9 and CW45. After qualification, I let him try them all. From about 10 ft. he put 5 rds out of the PF-9 into the same hole. He did just as well with the CW's too. But by staging the trigger on the PF-9 he shot it equally as well as the Kahr's, which do have a much better trigger.

I don't know what his final decision will be, but I got the impression that he was probably going to go with the PF-9 when he bought a single stack 9.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    @ shutterbug

There is no comparison. That's like comparing a Chevy against a Mercedes or a Porsche. That goes for quality AND price.
    KelTec is more comparable to a Taurus Slim or a Ruger LC9.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Just make sure she shoots it. If any issues come up Kel-tec will handle it. You can say what you want about their quality (and I'm not going to argue) but they do stand behind their products.

My PF9 has been great with around 400 rounds through it. It is light and I think I got it for around 249.00 last year NIB.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

That was one of the finalists for my concealed weapon. I narrowed it down to the pf9 and lc9. I liked how the pf9 felt in hand but i saw to many videos on youtube where the mag release was getting accidently pressed. The mag may not have come all the way out but it was just enough so the it wouldnt chamber a round. That kind of turned this gun off for me. Lc9 has been real good with 100 rounds through it.

-Jason

Just got my pf9 Saturday, and shot 140ish rounds today through it flawlessly. Ate blazer brass and academy's monarch brass no problem. Recoil was definitely there, but i expected that so it doesn't bother me and i am very happy with it.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    My experience is that the PF-9 is a reliable gun. They are a bit hard on the recoil but it isn't intolerable. I can put a couple hundred rounds through it without too much wear on the hand.

As far as learning to shoot the gun. This past weekend another forum member took our CHL class. He was interested in shooting a PF-9, and the CW9 and CW45. After qualification, I let him try them all. From about 10 ft. he put 5 rds out of the PF-9 into the same hole. He did just as well with the CW's too. But by staging the trigger on the PF-9 he shot it equally as well as the Kahr's, which do have a much better trigger.

I don't know what his final decision will be, but I got the impression that he was probably going to go with the PF-9 when he bought a single stack 9.
    Again, thanks for letting me shoot those guns this past Saturday. The PF9 surprised me. I'm not bragging by any means, but after reading post after post about the harsh recoil, I was expecting a lot more felt recoil than there actually was. With the firm 2 finger grip of my strong hand, the recoil didn't bother me (the +1 mag extension that is available would give just enough to get the pinky on which would be good since I like all 3 fingers on a grip). I know I was only shooting Walmart Federal 100 round pack 115 gr FMJ's and that 124 gr or 147 gr would have more recoil. I also know that I only shot 5 rounds, and that after a 50 round box I might change my tune...but I don't think so. That said, I would be shooting more rounds out of my G17 than the PF9 at the range because I like the way the G17 shoots.

The CW9 also surprised me in that I thought I wouldn't like the longer trigger pull (compared to my G17), but it wasn't bad at all. The CW45 surprised me the most in that the recoil was very, very controllable for that small of a gun...wow! Since I have longer fingers, I had to use the second pad of my trigger finger because of the small, single stack grips...just gotta adapt. I have the large grip adapter on my Gen 4, and I still have the trigger on the back part of my first pad on my trigger finger.

I'm still undecided on which smaller 9mm I'll eventually buy. I have an idea of what I'm going to do, but I'll start carrying the G17 and see how that goes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links