Decisions....

This is a discussion on Decisions.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe you all can help. I daily carry a G 19 and have often thought about another glock to go with this one. I like ...

Thread: Decisions....

Decisions....

Maybe you all can help. I daily carry a G 19 and have often thought about another glock to go with this one. I like the idea of a 17, but really would be looking at the 26 as I would like a smaller gun for summer carry....Today I looked at a 27 at my LGS, all of the 9mm are long gone. I holstered the 27 in my IWB that I carry my 19 in and was quite impressed how the smaller grip concealed better.

During my visit, i spoke with another customer about guns in general, and came up with another scenario.... How about keeping the 19 as a daily carry, and purchasing a 22(possibly Ruger) for practice as i suspect ammo will be become more and more costly, and less available as time goes by. LGS showed me a replacement slide that would convert the 19 to a .22 cal for practice/plinking.

That being said, should I wait and find a 26? Get the 27? or look for a .22? or something else altogether?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSilverT View Post
    Maybe you all can help. I daily carry a G 19 and have often thought about another glock to go with this one. I like the idea of a 17, but really would be looking at the 26 as I would like a smaller gun for summer carry....Today I looked at a 27 at my LGS, all of the 9mm are long gone. I holstered the 27 in my IWB that I carry my 19 in and was quite impressed how the smaller grip concealed better.

During my visit, i spoke with another customer about guns in general, and came up with another scenario.... How about keeping the 19 as a daily carry, and purchasing a 22(possibly Ruger) for practice as i suspect ammo will be become more and more costly, and less available as time goes by. LGS showed me a replacement slide that would convert the 19 to a .22 cal for practice/plinking.

That being said, should I wait and find a 26? Get the 27? or look for a .22? or something else altogether?
    I love the 19, and would not carry anything smaller. I like it so much that I bought a 17 and had the grip chopped to a 19. I like that for edc more. I would strongly discourage anyone from practicing on one platform while edc'ing a different. Muscle memory makes that a risky plan. Are you having problems with the 19 edc setup?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Shoot the 26 a few times first...you may find its not for you. It's been well documented here that the 26 grip etc isn't as easy for a lot of people. I'm one of them. I went back to a G19. IMO, the 19 conceals just as good, the grip and angle is a lot better, sight radius helps, etc etc. I found that I fumbled with the 26 a bit, it felt like it wanted to "roll" out of the holster, the muzzle (end of slide) digs in to my hip more, I was not as accurate with it, and so on.

Going to pick up another G19 tomorrow actually. My wife will be taking over the other one. She's in the same boat as me. I still have the 26, but I'm still unsure if I want to sell it or not. If I do, I'll get another 19.

The .22 option isn't a bad idea either though. Or, you could get a conversion kit for your 19.

P.S. get a hybrid holster for your 19 and play with the cant. You'll be surprised how much it helps.

VIP Member
    Or, if you hate hybrids like I do, try one of these, which Mark is adding to his product line:
    The Perfect Kydex IWB Holster
    Low ride and 20-degree cant make the 19 literally disappear at 3:00. The most comfortable kydex IWB I have ever worn.
    Tuco

No problems with the 19, now that its cooler weather. Holster is a Max Tuck and I have tried adjusting cants, but I like it as is...

I work outside primarily and go from meeting clients to getting dirty from time to time..Summer time is hot here in FL and shirts and pants can get soaked with sweat. When they are wet, they tend to cling more to gun. That is the main reason.

Have even thought about some sort of pocket carry, but I dont know who makes pants with pockets big enough to hold a gun that i would want to carry...

VIP Member
    No problems with the 19, now that its cooler weather. Holster is a Max Tuck and I have tried adjusting cants, but I like it as is...

I work outside primarily and go from meeting clients to getting dirty from time to time..Summer time is hot here in FL and shirts and pants can get soaked with sweat. When they are wet, they tend to cling more to gun. That is the main reason.

Have even thought about some sort of pocket carry, but I dont know who makes pants with pockets big enough to hold a gun that i would want to carry...
    One of the things I don't like about the hybrids is that the slab of leather wrapped around my hip quickly becomes tedious on a hot day.
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    One of the things I don't like about the hybrids is that the slab of leather wrapped around my hip quickly becomes tedious on a hot day.
    Get horsehide...

Sounds like you need a summer carry single stack to me... Kahr PM9 maybe?

Stick with the G19 and follow-up with the 22LR.....IMHO
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

One thing to consider with regard to the G27 is that a .40 caliber can be a snappier round and that may be exaggerated in a smaller pistol. I would definitely recommend testing out a G27 (or failing that any subcompact .40) prior to buying. You may find the difference between a 9mm and .40 to be a bit much.

I never shot 40 before. Is the recoil all that different than 45ACP?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
    Get horsehide...
    I was referring specifically to horsehide.
    Tuco

Links