Defensive Carry Pistol - Backup Plan - Need Some Input

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry Pistol - Backup Plan - Need Some Input within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have long believed in having duplicates of my favored carry weapons, going back well before any restrictions were on the horizon. Something as simple ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Defensive Carry Pistol - Backup Plan - Need Some Input

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have long believed in having duplicates of my favored carry weapons, going back well before any restrictions were on the horizon. Something as simple as a broken sight or other part can bring about the immediate need for a secondary weapon, and I have, indeed, had sights break, and experienced a mainspring failure. I have several, each, GP100 sixguns, and SP101 fiveguns, and pairs of .223 Mini-14 and .308 Browning BLR rifles.

I had several .40 SIG P229 pistols until recently, but have been phasing them out, with just one now, as I hope to be
    authorized to switch to a 9mm Glock duty pistol soon. (Cumulative snappy .40 recoil is becoming painful to one of my aging, aching wrists.) If I do switch duty pistols, to my G17 or something else, I will double-up, or more, on that model, too.

So, yes, I believe in secondary carry guns, to the point I normally carry more than one at a time.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I'd hate to be stuck carrying a revolver. On offense to you wheel gun guys; it's just not my thing.

^^^^YES^^^^^^^^^^

But look on the bright side,

All the criminals will turn THEIR semi-autos in as well, so in essence we'll all still be on a level playing field.

OP.
    I would be a good idea to invest in another firearm which closely resembles what you are carrying now.
    If it happens to be as different caliber, or gun maker, so be it. Or if you find another G19, even better.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Given that all the plans at this point are grandfather, if O does not wipe CC/OC off the face of the map, I will continue to carry what I have. If they put the semis under NFA and I have to get stamps and "go mama may I" if I want to go to another state, I will carry a revolver when I cross state lines.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    Don't know how all of this will break..but another G19 would be ideal. Also get extra mags,spare parts etc. If we repeat history('94-'04)I think we'll see alot more G26,G27's plus single-stack 1911's and revolvers winding up in people's EDC rotation. I hope those who are gun-owners , but NOT NRA members yet...JOIN YESTERDAY to help beat back this assault on our rights!
    TX expat likes this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I'd MUCH RATHER be "stuck carrying a revolver" than being forced to defend myself with my swift wit and a leaf rake.
    Is that a high capacity leaf rake?

But yeah, I don't disagree. I'll use whatever if I have to but I hope 'have to' never fits into the picture at all!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Is that a high capacity leaf rake?
    Yes, the tactical model with light rail & night sights.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Yes, the tactical model with light rail & night sights.
    Banned!
    NRA Life Member

How about a G26 to complement your G19?

BTW - nothing wrong with a revolver, as long as you carry two of 'em.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    How about a G26 to complement your G19?

BTW - nothing wrong with a revolver, as long as you carry two of 'em.
    I had given that some thought too. I could probably pick up a 26 easier than I could a 19.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    In my search for the perfect cc, I'll carry either a G19, G26, G30, any number of 1911s, a 3"1911, j-frame, PM9, PF9, or LCP. Any one of those is my "ideal carry gun", depending on the occasion.I've enjoyed the G19 so much that I was tempted to buy another. However, not wanting to attempt to justify that logic to Mrs Whec, I just picked up a spare barrel, springs as well as a healthy assortment of magazines.It makes sense to have at least more than one carry gun, as with any man-made thing, they are prone to eventual failure.
    ^^This sums it up nicely as far as I'm concerned.^^
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

AOK
    I can attest to it being a good idea to have a backup to your everyday carry. I owned two Glock 23's. This past summer I had part of the frame crack somehow (not a kb). Needless to say I was sure glad to have the second 23!

Recently I moved to a 19 and now the 23 is the backup. With that said, I hope to get another 19 and a back up for my BUG (Kahr CM9) by summer.

I have suitable carry guns for every day of the week. For the month of February.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    My back up plan has been set for some time. I have a 4" .357, 2-2 3/4" .357 snubbies and a .38 2" snubby.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Defensive Carry Pistol - Backup Plan - Need Some Input

Someone wisely mentioned having a spare in case one needs service. I have to send my SP101 back to Ruger for warranty repair. If I didn't have a 9mm I'd be without a gun for however long it will take to get it back.

I'm considering going out and picking up an LCP or j frame this weekend, just to have a small gun and in the unlikely rent that my 9mm fails for some reason.

A spare of your primary is a great idea.

I currently have 4 carry guns. 2 that I carry regularly and 2 that primarily serve as back ups. I don't have two identicals. But I have 2 that use the same holster. Along with mags for both. And you guessed it, Glocks. I almost had a third but the deal fell through at the last moment. What a bummer!
    Question Everything!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links